Formula weaning

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by mamammbs2, Jan 29, 2010.

1. mamammbs2

mamammbs2 Well-Known Member

Ok this may sound like a stupid question but is there anything I need to know about weaning a baby from formula and putting them on whole milk. They will be 1 in less than a month. I have three other children and I breastfed them all for an entire year. They pretty much weaned themselves and therefore my milk supply dwindle so they were forced to take whole milk from a sip cup. Any helpful advice about switching from formula to whole milk would be helpful.

2. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I start with 3/4 formula, 1/4 milk for a few days, then half and half, then 3/4 milk and 1/4 formula, then whole milk. I just calculate ahead and time it out to end with my last can of formula so I don't waste any! :) As long as they don't show any tummy issues and tolerate it well, they'll learn to enjoy the taste! :D

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I did the same thing as Danielle, except we started with 1/2 formula and 1/2 milk and then gradually reduced it until we were totally out of the formula and they were on all milk. Good luck!

4. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I started with 1/2 & 1/2 as well. As long as they haven't had any issues with dairy, they should adjust quickly!