Fraternal/Identical

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Frederica, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Frederica

Frederica Well-Known Member

SO if the twins are fraternal do they still look alike???Mine are in two seperate sacs so are they goint o lok alike???

2. Frederica

Frederica Well-Known Member

SO if the twins are fraternal do they still look alike???Mine are in two seperate sacs so are they goint o lok alike???

3. Sarabela

Sarabela Well-Known Member

They may or may not look alike and being in seperate sacs does not mean they are definitely fraternal. Identical twins can also be in seperate sacs, it depends on when the egg split. If they are fraternal they have the same chance of looking alike as siblings who were not born together. Some brothers/sisters look very much alike and others do not.

4. kuchar

kuchar Well-Known Member

Fraternal twins will only look as alike as any other siblings. However, similarities you might not have noticed in non-twin siblings might be more obvious since the twins will be the same age. Know what I mean?
    Helen

5. To be very specific, an identical twin is one fertilized egg that split. They share the same dna and look the same. Fraternal twins are basically two seperate pregnancies at the same time. Two different eggs, two different sperm seperate sacs/placentas/etc. Just like in siblings they can look a lot alike or nothing alike.

6. Marbear

Marbear Well-Known Member

Like the pp said, di di twins have a 25-30 percent chance of still being identical. Some fraternals look eerily similar, though. Mary Kate and Ashley are fraternal. The boys from Big Daddy are fraternal and you can really tell them apart now that they are pre-teen but they looked id as children. We have 2 neighbor girls that are fraternal twins and they look identical except for a mole on their face in different spots, but as they age they start to look less and less alike as their features become more defined and adult.

7. Raneysmama

Raneysmama Well-Known Member

quote:
    Mary Kate and Ashley are fraternal. The boys from Big Daddy are fraternal and you can really tell them apart now that they are pre-teen but they looked id as children

Really? I have a hard time believing that, especially as they "played" each other in shows and movies. How do you know for sure they are fraternal? Just curious. [​IMG] I'm wondering if they each had their own placentas and were just labeled by doctors as being fraternal because of that. I know a lot of doctors who tell any patient that their twins are fraternal just because they each had their own placenta.

8. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

quote:
    Mary-Kate and Ashley, the acting Olsen twins, look very much alike but are fraternal twins, sharing no more DNA than any two sisters.
    I have heard alot about Mary-Kate and Ashley, I just did some searching to see if we could find testing information or whatever and that quote was the closest I could get. Kinda weird looking for people's DNA results [​IMG].

9. Raneysmama

Raneysmama Well-Known Member

I looked a little too. Anywhere it said that they were fraternal (including that quote, I believe), there was no evidence to back it up. The only differences listed are a couple moles and a difference in height. However, I know many identical twins can have both differences in height and/or weight. I saw several places that stated Cole and Dylan Sprouse ARE identical. I wonder if a difference in their appearance can mostly be attributed to a weight difference at this point. Hmmmm....

10. kimber074

kimber074 Well-Known Member

the only addition i found in my research is that Mary Kate and Ashley said they were fraternal because one was left handed and one was right.

11. Marbear

Marbear Well-Known Member

I think I read a few years ago they did have the testing done (Mary Kate and Ashley). The Sprouse kids look nothing alike to me, even before one got a little fuller.

12. Soon-2-BMomof3

Soon-2-BMomof3 Well-Known Member

I don't remember where I heard it, (it has been a long time)but I have heard that the olsen twins are fraternal too. But I have seen pictures of siblings born a couple years apart that I have a hard time telling apart. It is funny how genetics works sometimes!

13. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

I'm going to close this thread since it is a duplicate of the same question that the original poster asked on Friday. Please respond in the original post.

Thanks