freak-out fest during diaper changes

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by greymom, Nov 30, 2006.

1. greymom

greymom Well-Known Member

Please tell me we are not the only ones. Almost every time my boys need to be changed, they go into complete tantrum mode - screaming, flailing, etc. It's like they cannot tolerate having to lay down/hold still on the changing table for the 3 minutes it takes. This is especially bad right before bed when they are getting their pjs on also.

It's a real blast when someone has a poopy diaper and they are flailing and kicking, getting their sock in it, sticking their hands in it because they are trying to push you away, etc. [​IMG]

Anyone else have this problem??

Michelle

2. greymom

greymom Well-Known Member

Please tell me we are not the only ones. Almost every time my boys need to be changed, they go into complete tantrum mode - screaming, flailing, etc. It's like they cannot tolerate having to lay down/hold still on the changing table for the 3 minutes it takes. This is especially bad right before bed when they are getting their pjs on also.

It's a real blast when someone has a poopy diaper and they are flailing and kicking, getting their sock in it, sticking their hands in it because they are trying to push you away, etc. [​IMG]

Anyone else have this problem??

Michelle

3. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

As soon as mine started fighting, I started changing them standing up. I can even do a poopy diaper that way. They didn't seem to mind it as much, and by keeping them slightly off balance, they couldn't fight me [​IMG]

4. frain2005

frain2005 Well-Known Member

We have some wigglers and squirmers here too! We just started changing them on the floor. It was to hard to keep them from falling from the changing table. Now we do the floor and I put them side by side and change both at the same time....they play with each other to keep occupied. HTH

5. kelly79

kelly79 Well-Known Member

Ha, I thought I would be the only one to say this too, but I change them standing up as well. We have a guest bathroom that has a counter I just lay a towel on and change them there. They stand up, they can see themselves in the mirror, etc. It takes a little practice, but its not hard at all. My mom thinks I'm crazy for doing it this way, but hey...its one less battle.

6. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

We went through that stage as well. I try to distract them with a toy or by asking them to show me body parts (ears, nose, hair etc). They get so busy pointing they forget to fight.

7. LouCee

LouCee Well-Known Member

I was really starting to dread changing diapers because of the tantrums. My niece can change her daughter standing up but I have yet to try it.

Jon likes when I sing silly songs and will stay still just barely long enough for the diaper change.

Nico is the screamer. I usually have to give him something to hold like the plastic wipes container or a bottle of lotion.

8. bridget nanette

bridget nanette Well-Known Member

Yes, my Michael does this. I wonder if it is a boy thing, because Mikayla will be helpful and actually hold the diaper for me, put her legs in her pants and put her arms in her sleeves. She tries to dress herself!

Michael is a screaming, flailing maniac. [​IMG] Sometimes I have to change him standing up, but I don't like to do that. WE have tried changing him on the floor, but he flips over so fast and crawls away to play. Sometimes when it is a super poopie, I have to ask DH to help me hold him down.

At times I just bring him right to the bathtub and change him in there. If he is very poopie, the tub will catch everything.

Other times I change him on the changing table and constantly flip him onto his back. Sometimes I try to hold him down with my left arm across his chest and holding his feet at the same time while my right hand puts on the diaper. Many times his diaper is quite askew!!

Good luck! I can empathize!!

Bridget

9. Holly Wiebe

Holly Wiebe Well-Known Member

Absolutely! I gave up and now change them standing. DH still changes them on the floor - and usually asks me to help hold them down while he does it.

It is just easier to change them standing.

Holly

10. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

My dd is one who does not like diaper changes. She just can't lay still. She has gotten better with me, but dh thinks she's unruly all the time! Distraction seems to help. I hope it gets better soon Michelle!

I have to add a story here... yesterday, when I picked the kids up from g'ma's house, she changes them sitting on her lap. Well, she felt that ds was wet, so she pulls the diaper off and then saw some brownish color on the diaper she had pulled off. [​IMG] Sure enough, there was a bronze colored lump (resembled a cow pie) clung to her pants leg (thigh). Oops! [​IMG]

11. carmenandwhittsmom

carmenandwhittsmom Well-Known Member

We are having the same situation here. I try singing to distract or we turn to Elmo or the Doodlebops. The DVR has been our best friend recently during diaper changes. I haven't tried changing them standing up since they walk off when they feel like it now.

12. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

As soon as they could stand, I started doing all changes standing up as well. I could do it much faster than laying down and they girls could look at a book or play while I did it. It's really easy so you should give it a try. Everyone in my family, including DH, does it this way.

13. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My Mitchell does the same thing. Kenna doesn't mind and lays down as soon as I get the diaper out or if I just changed Mitch..she can be a girly girl and doesn't like to be in a wet/dirty diaper. So since Mitchell goes nuts I have a pack of stickers handy and I put one on each hand or on his nose or something and he gets a kick out of that. Sometimes that doesn't work so I bring a book over and we try to get him to look at that while I change him. I never change him without a toy or its pretty much useless!!

Good luck!

14. jultaria

jultaria Well-Known Member

What I have been doing is before I even take off their pants or unzip the sleeper I make them laugh by tickling or making faces at them, then I hand them a toy or sing a hand clapping song. It usually works, not always.