Frequent high fevers

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by jnelan, Mar 1, 2013.

1. jnelan

jnelan Well-Known Member

For the past month or two, Adira has been getting high fevers once every week or two. Sometimes it is part of a virus that is going around daycare, but most of them just seem to be isolated fevers. She'll get to 102-103 temp and we'll give her tylenol and an hour later she's back to her normal self. I think they tend to happen most when she's sleeping - she had one last night around midnight and can get them after naps at daycare.

I wouldn't normally be concerned, but the daycare staff say that this is unusual in their experience. I've talked to our doctor and she thinks that Adira is just getting intermittent viruses. If we took her in for an appointment, she'd do a full physical, but there's really no lab tests that could be done. So I think we're just going to wait until the girls' one-year appointment next month. Has anyone else had a baby that had so many fevers without other apparent symptoms? Thanks.

2. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

I am sorry to hear she has a fever so often. I don't have experience with this, but I wanted to ask if this is related to teething. I read some kids get a fever when they have new teeth coming in and I know my kids had a new tooth every other week around 1. Maybe that's how her body reacts to teething. I hope it's nothing serious and I am glad to see she doesn't seem too bothered by it.

3. jnelan

jnelan Well-Known Member

We thought it was teething too, but her doctor said that teething fevers aren't usually that high. I think it must just be mild viruses and maybe she is just more susceptible to fevers than other kids. At least they don't last very long :)

4. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

This happened to Mushka and turned out she had super low iron and her general immune system was way down because of it, and she ended up needing a blood transfusion. I would get her iron levels checked.

5. Chillers

Chillers Well-Known Member

My girls still do this on occasion, they'll spike a 102 fever for a day or two then it's gone. Sometimes it's followed by a stuffy nose, sometimes nothing. They have done it since they were bitty too.. I'm guessing by your screen name that you might live in NH? I'm in NH too, and it's been a pretty rough winter for us and a lot of our friends' littles. Seems like everyone's been sick! Hope she's feeling better!

6. jnelan

jnelan Well-Known Member

Angela - yep, I'm in NH, in the Dartmouth area. We've actually been lucky this winter with sickness - no ear infections, RSV, etc (though one REALLY bad and long cold around Thanksgiving). We have friends with similarly-aged babies and they all seem to have had RSV. Sorry to hear you are having a rough winter - just a couple more months until spring :)

7. jnelan

jnelan Well-Known Member

Miriam - thanks for the recommendation on getting her iron levels checked. I will definitely mention that to her doctor.

8. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

This sounds like something that happened to my son when he was about three. His fever would go away, then come back a week later, then go away, then come back. After several weeks of this I took him to the doctor and they did bloodwork.. Turns out he had a bacterial infection. Took a two week round of meds and had no more problems

9. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

There could also be a problem with her immune system so I think I would ask for blood work or at least discuss the option with her pedi, especially if this continues into spring.

One of my kids is very susceptible to any infection floating around and after a long winter of one infection after the other last year and after things did not get better in spring our pedi took this seriously and ordered extensive bloodwork (not the standard testing, expensive special tests) and they finally found she is missing one factor in her immune system (I'm sorry I do not have the file with the correct medical term at hand but feel free to PM me if you would like me to look it up for you). This is red-flagged in her file with our pedi because it means that she needs to be monitored more closely in case of infections.