frustrated-boys dont know how to play

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by PRJP, Oct 30, 2011.

1. PRJP

PRJP Well-Known Member

My 7yo boys do not know how to play on their own. It is frustrating. What do I do.
    I kind of blame my self, the first four years of their lives we had an aupair that took care of them while i worked. At 4, i quit my job and was happy to be home with them and played with them a lot and planned fun activities. It was easier to fill our day with fun stuff to do. Now, on a lazy sunday all they do is mope around, not knowing what to do, even though we have books, games, toys etc....they have no interest in picking something up and doing it!
    Help!

2. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

Have you tried starting them off with an activity and then moving away? So help them get their toys set up and play with them for a few minutes then say "I just have to go and fold the laundry/use the bathroom/send an email/do any mundane activity. You carry on playing and I'll be back in a bit." At first you may need to pop back and join in again after a little while but you should be able to gradually extend the amount of time you leave them for. Similarly with games you could help them pick a game and set up the pieces, even sit nearby to referee if needed, but not take a turn in the game yourself. Books I would try leading by example, if they see you sitting down reading they may decide to do the same.

Good luck!

3. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yeah, I think that you're going to have to teach them to play. I would just directing them rather that playing with them. Maybe get out Legos (or blocks or whatever) and ask them to build you a house. Talk them through the process. Then find something you need to do and let them know that you're going to go to xxxx, and when you get back, you want to surprised with them building something. I just keep setting them up playing and then gradually let them start figuring out the details.

Also, some of it might be personality. Timothy very much thinks we should function as his personal toys. I just have to refuse. Because he is older now, I ask him when he's moping and whining about things that if his toys are that un-interesting then we should make a pile for Goodwill so why don't we go do that together. He get's moving rather quickly. I also remind him that if he doesn't want to play with his toys, that's fine, but don't expect xmas if toys are boring.

The other side of that personality is that he loves helping. So, I can see where it's totally annoying. But I do also like it that Timothy wants to work with me and is just ready to help me, anytime, anywhere.

Marissa

4. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

I agree that Giving them a direction would help with the play