Funny things that toddlers say

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by RachelJoy, Jun 19, 2007.

1. RachelJoy

RachelJoy Well-Known Member

Last week we were playing in the yard and the UPS truck went by. I guess that Elliot recognized that the big "UPS" on the side were letters, because he got all excited and called it the "ABCD Truck". DH and I thought it was the cutest thing, so now we all refer to it as the ABCD truck.

What funny things have your little ones come up with recently?

-Rachel

2. Mommy2ATeam

Mommy2ATeam Well-Known Member

Alexis let me know yesterday that I yell at Alana too often. DH was going through animal sounds with her and he jokingly asked "What does Mommy say?" Alexis said "LALA!" I couldn't help but laugh, even though it made me feel really bad!

3. nikki_0724

nikki_0724 Well-Known Member

awww too cute I cant wait to read more. and I cant way for mine to start talking so I can hear cute things all the time!

4. Fay

Fay Well-Known Member

ethan is the most easily-frighted child in the WORLD!! If he hears ANY bit of thunder he runs to us crying, "MY PENIE SCARED A THUNDER!!!!!" We comfort the poor guy, but seriously...your penis is NOT afraid of thunder, son!

5. PRJP

PRJP Well-Known Member

Two of my favorites are

the boys were driving me crazy so I said "Momma is cracking down, I need Jamison to stop...." and Jamison said, "No, momma cracking up!"

and

I had a migraine and was laying on my bed. Jamison woke up early from his nap and came and cuddled. Conversation went...
    "Momma not feeling good"
    No, my head hurts
    "JJ go get towel for head"
    Thank you

he comes back with a towel and places it on my head. Rubbing it on my head he says
    "this might hurt a little bit"
    and then he starts hitting my head with the towel.
    "JJ trying to get slivers out"

cute...but man, my head hurt. A week earlier he had a sliver inhis hand that I had to take out.

I love this age!

6. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

mine don't really talk yet but for DD everyone is DA DA - I can look at her and say MA MA and she'll YELL back DADA

7. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

QUOTE(PRJP @ Jun 19 2007, 02:06 PM) [snapback]298628[/snapback]
    the boys were driving me crazy so I said "Momma is cracking down, I need Jamison to stop...." and Jamison said, "No, momma cracking up!"

I am drawing a semi-blank and am glad that someplace I've written several of these down, but things like the above we get all the time:

I say, "You want a time out?" and Jade says, "No, time in."
    I say, "You want me to pick you up? and Jade says, "No, pick me down."

:laughing:

8. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

Katelyn has a few lately...

When she is doing something and she messes up she goes "shoooot!" and gets all flustered with herself!

When I tell her its time to clean up she says, "No, mommy its time to play..... just kidding!!" (DH taught her the 'just kidding' and its funny watching her try and put it in context!

She also is always telling on Blake when he is doing something wrong. This morning she was saying, "Blake, get back her right now. Do you want to go on a timeout?" (Hmm, I can't imagine where she gets it from?!?!)

I so just want to crack up when she says stuff like this! :laughing:

9. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

Mine just do one word at a time (well, except for uh oh), but they always get really excited and exaggerate anything that starts with 'S" - so it's really cute when they say snack, swim, and swing. And Grace says Lily's name (Wiwwee) - it's really cute. :)

10. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

I was just going to make a post like this! Bea is talking non-stop. I can't picture that I was ever worried about her speech.

Bea calls being naked "Nee-ee". It's so cute that I can't help but say it too. She knows what two of something is, but she always "one-two" like if I say how many cats, she says, "one-two cats!"
    Ainsley fell down the other day, got herself back up and said "I'm good!"
    DH was on the treadmill and Bea was looking like "what in the world is he doing?" so I said "Daddy is exercising." Then Bea says "Mama, no ek-size!" Umm.. yep. Got me there!

11. twinzmom2b

twinzmom2b Well-Known Member

Recently my girls have been cracking me up! Morgan will be trying to get Reagan's attention and she'll be yelling "RAY RAY, RAY RAY." Reagan will look over at her and go "WHAT?" and then they both crack up laughing. But, of course, if we are trying to get her attention and yell RAY RAY, she won't do it! It's a cute little thing they have between them I guess. And the way Reagna' says "WHAT" is so cute...she kind of drags it out and then puts a hard "T" sound on the end of it...so cute!

And, lately, when the 4 of us go to the store, I'll try and get DH's attention to look at something or come over where I'm at and I'll say, "Jon, come over here please." Well, my little parrots just mock me and say, "Jon, c'mere!" Then they just go around sayin "Jon, Jon Jon." But if you say, "Say Jon" they will say "daddy!" Too cute!

12. twinzmom2b

twinzmom2b Well-Known Member

QUOTE(NicoleT @ Jun 19 2007, 06:21 PM) [snapback]298662[/snapback]
    Katelyn has a few lately...

When she is doing something and she messes up she goes "shoooot!" and gets all flustered with herself!

When I tell her its time to clean up she says, "No, mommy its time to play..... just kidding!!" (DH taught her the 'just kidding' and its funny watching her try and put it in context!

She also is always telling on Blake when he is doing something wrong. This morning she was saying, "Blake, get back her right now. Do you want to go on a timeout?" (Hmm, I can't imagine where she gets it from?!?!)

I so just want to crack up when she says stuff like this! :laughing:

Mine say "shoot" and "oh geesh" too. I guess they hear me say it when I get frustrated. Isn't it funny! I love the "just kidding" party, that cracked me up! Oh and mine are always bossing each other too. MOrgan loves to shake her finger and say, "No, no ray, ray!"

13. RachelJoy

RachelJoy Well-Known Member

Another one from me . . .

Clarissa has picked an expression from me . . . "Oh my" she says (when I say that it is in a conscious attempt to NOT say "Oh sh*t"). She'll use this when she's sees a big mess, such as Elliot's animals all thrown out of the crib, "Oh my" she says.

Elliot, on the otherhand, has picked up "Oh man" from me, used in situations such as all the legos getting dumped out on the floor right after we finish cleaning them up.

The funny thing is that they use these phrases totally appropriately.

Thanks for sharing everyone.

-Rachel

14. li li

li li Well-Known Member

if the children fall over or bang themselves on something, their babysitter has taught them to hit it and say "why? why? why?". yesterday tal fell and banged her head twice on the floor and each time maia was the one to hit the floor and go "wa wa wa". they both then giggled, which was far better than tal crying :)

occasionally they get it the wrong way around, for example if they hear me saying "why why why", they'll imitate me and then look around for something to hit their head against (gently of course, although i still worry!).

as an aside, i'm not sure i'm that keen on her having taught them to hit things as i'm worried that they'll begin to hit one another. but as it's too late already it is very sweet.
    lisa

15. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

Ben takes the middle consonant of all two syllable words (or ending consonant sounds of one syllable words) and adds them to the front of the word. So Hannah becomes Nannah, apple becomes papple, froggy becomes goggy. So it is so cute when he wants a binky and walks around singing, "KINKY?"

Not so funny though when he has lost his rock and screams at the park, "Where's my *ock?!"

16. p31heather

p31heather Well-Known Member

My Rachel says of herself: "Rachel so funny" then she giggles. If she's really happy then everyone she sees, is funny, but only she and her daddy are "so funny".

17. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Jessy says Noun or Dune for Down. It just depends how she is feeling which way she says it.

Jazzy calls all animals she doesn't know the name for Bebes(antelopes, emus, zebras etc)

I'll think of more soon

18. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

QUOTE(twoin2005 @ Jun 19 2007, 12:24 PM) [snapback]298824[/snapback]
    Not so funny though when he has lost his rock and screams at the park, "Where's my *ock?!"

Oh, Kate, that made laugh as I can picture him doing that! :laughing:

19. cabonnell

cabonnell Well-Known Member

I got home with the girls yesterday evening and dh came outside to help get them out and bring them in. Well, we were standing at the front of the garage door watching the rain coming down (since we haven't gotten any in a long while) and Amber points at his Truck in the driveway and says "twuck". I said "what baby, what is that?" She says "MY twuck". I have no idea why it's "MY" but that's what she said. But it's also the very "as-a-matter-of-fact" look on her face when she says stuff like that.

20. rheamay

rheamay Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Fay @ Jun 19 2007, 11:05 AM) [snapback]298626[/snapback]
    ethan is the most easily-frighted child in the WORLD!! If he hears ANY bit of thunder he runs to us crying, "MY PENIE SCARED A THUNDER!!!!!" We comfort the poor guy, but seriously...your penis is NOT afraid of thunder, son!

:rotflmbo:

My twins aren't talking yet but Anthony says some pretty funny things. The other day he was commenting on my mom's mole that she has on her chin. She tole him it was a mole and I have used that word before, but later he pointed up at her and wanted to touch it. I asked him "what is that, Anthony?" and he just said "It's a nipple."

Me and my mom were on the floor laughing :rotflmbo:

21. GenieB

GenieB New Member

The other day we were at Happy Hollow park and I asked DD Thyme if she had to go potty. She put out her hand palm up and said, "Mom, I went potty last night." Like that was recent enough. It was the funniest thing. She has also started to call me Mother when she wants my attention.

DS will say "Talk to me" if there is a lull in conversation. I guess he doesn't like the quiet.

22. RRTwins

RRTwins Well-Known Member

I just had to share what my 4 year old nephew said the other day... My brother said to him, "you need to go with grandma and grandpa today, I am a little crazy at work."

So my parents took him to my father's doctor appointment at the hospital that day. One of the nurses said - "Aren't you a lucky boy spending the day with your grandparents today!"

My nephew replied - "Yea I have to because my daddy's insane!"

I think that is so funny!

23. BettiePage

BettiePage Well-Known Member

I love these! :laughing:

LOL Kate, we have a *ock one here too -- a couple of weeks ago we bought a new clock to hang in the bathroom, and when we were in the bathroom brushing teeth (all 4 of us -- me, the girls, and my husband), Natalie really wanted me to let her hold the clock. Which of course she pronouces w/o the L. So she's saying, "Mommy's *ock, Mommy's *ock!" and after we said no, she decided she'd see if my husband would hold the clock so she could get her hands on it: "Daddy hold Mommy's *ock! Daddy hold Mommy's *ock!" My husband and I were cracking up!

And a less racy one -- the other day Rita told me husband that she wanted "outside chickens" for dinner (aka cooked on the grill). He was actually microwaving some leftover chicken he had cooked on the grill the day before, so I asked her if he was making outside chickens and she said, "No, house chickens!"

24. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

Another one:
    Every morning I tell the girls that Mommy gets to watch the news first, then they can watch something. They balk when I turn the TV on and it's not for them. So this morning, when I turned off the Today show and put on Signing Time, Bea said "Bye bye news!"

25. Juj

Juj Well-Known Member

Katherine will stick her fingers in her ears and say "Momma, can you hear me?"

New Foods:

If they like it, they'll say: "Hmmmmm Tasty!"
    If they don't, they'll say: "I can't like that."

Doritos = Dadda Chips
    Life Cereal = Momma Cereal

My DH gave Katherine was some "Momma Cereal" this morning while I was in the shower. After getting dressed, I asked her what she was eating and she responded: "It's Momma Cereal and you can share." I guess I say "You Can Share" an awful lot.

26. tazzymoto

tazzymoto Member

My 3 oldest DDs are attending a day camp this summer. Yesterday (the 1st day of camp) Sierra's CIT (counselor in training) came up to me at pick-up time and told me that Sierra told her that she should get a boyfriend. Sierra then reccommended her cousin who is 9 years old (the CIT was 15) for the boyfriend because he was coming to visit soon. Both the CIT and I got quite a kick out of that! Sierra will always say funny things like that! I can't think of any more at the moment though.

One thing I remember though, that wasn't actually said, but no words were needed to get the message across. When my DSs were about a year old, we were visiting my sister and BIL's house. They had blown up a little pool for the kiddos to play in. After the kiddos were done swimming, we sat around on the deck chatting. Well, Justin was sitting in my BIL's lap, and he was still only in a swim diaper. I asked my sister if he he knew that Justin wasn't wearing a regular diaper, but she said not to worry about it. Wellwe continued chatting and Justin was all snuggled up with BIL. Then, BIL said "this si so nice, he is so snuggly and warm... wait a minute!" DS had peed on BIL and swim diapers don't hold pee! JUst then, Justin plugged his nose and pointed to BIL just as I always do to the boys when I am changing their diapers. Justin was trying to blame it on BIL! We still tease BIL about that a year later! :rotflmbo:

27. orcoastmommyof2

orcoastmommyof2 Well-Known Member

In an attempt to cure our sometimes potty mouths around the boy's we try to come up with other words or phrases. One of our big one's is "Yikes". Well we were walking through the store the other day and a young teenage girl walks past our carts with a mohawk and bright PINK hair and what does my little man say to her? "YIKES"

28. Twinnylou

Twinnylou Well-Known Member

I remember being in a class of 5 year old one day and we were talking about body parts. So the teacher is pointing to her leg and saying what this and they are going leg. She then points to her ear lobe and says does anyone what this is called. Well all the kids are looking at us with blank expresions untill one boy puts his hand up and the teacher says what do you think it is and he shouts FORESKIN!!! I tell you it took all my self control not to fall to the floor with laughter! :rofl:

29. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

These are all so cute!

When I ask Meghan if she wants to wear her socks and shoe, she tells me "No, I wear my piggy toes today"

When they are getting into their cribs, they like to have their blankets. They say "Mommy, cover you up"

When Nolan misses a shot in basketball or the ball when he is hitting with his bat he says "Oh, Man!"

30. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

I'm laughing out loud at some of these (and I'm at work)

31. Mommy2ATeam

Mommy2ATeam Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Snittens @ Jun 19 2007, 09:33 PM) [snapback]299459[/snapback]
    Another one:
    Every morning I tell the girls that Mommy gets to watch the news first, then they can watch something. They balk when I turn the TV on and it's not for them. So this morning, when I turned off the Today show and put on Signing Time, Bea said "Bye bye news!"

My girls both say "Bye bye" to EVERYTHING! Every morning when I get them up and leave the bedroom Alana says "Bye bye gigga bed" (big girl bed) "Bye bye bubby" (the bunny that's on their dresser) and "Bye bye paci." And if she sees us step on a bug, she says "Bye bye bug!"

I thought of another cute thing that Alexis does. She's a little neat freak and constantly points out a "mess." We were walking from the parking lot to the ballfield yesterday to watch a church softball game and Alexis pointed out a mud puddle and said "Mess! Yucky!"

Kids are SO funny!!!

32. shelbyolivia

shelbyolivia Well-Known Member

Mine have been asking if they are good girls or bad girls. They ask me "Am I a good girl?" "Is sissy a good girl?", then they say "Is Daddy a good girl?" DH tries to tell them he's a boy not a girl, but he lets them watch Cops on tv, so they sing "Bad boy, bad boy, what you gonna do...." Then Daddy is a "Bad boy, bad boy"
    If they get hurt they say "I'm not ok", when they are fine.
    Olivia can't say L yet, she asks me to "Put cream on my eggs"

33. melslp13

melslp13 Well-Known Member

A little girl I was Nannying for (LONG LONG AGO before twins) was coming home from preschool one day and told me about how she's been learning about vegetables. I said, "those are great, and you know, they have lots of vitamins and they're fat free." She replied, "Oh, well that's why green beans are so skinny!"

34. sj3g

sj3g Well-Known Member

When my oldest was 2, I pulled my hair up in a ponytail one day, which was something I rarely did/do. She took one look at me (and my hair), and because I looked so different that way, she put her hands palms up like the "where did it go" gesture, and said, "So you not my mommy anymore?" I will always remember the confused look on her face at that moment! :laughing:

35. My youngest daughter Davien was in the car with my husband and I and we were coming up to a stop light. He decided to ask her what did the different colors mean on the light. So he asked what does red mean and she replied stop he asked what does green mean and she replied go and when he asked what does yellow mean she replied go faster. I thought I was going to die with laughter. We always stop at yellow lights so I have no idea where she came up with go faster. She was only 2 years old at the time. I thought my twins would fall off the couch when we came home and told them what their little sister had said.