Fused placentas?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Beth*J, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

At my early u/s, I was told there were two placentas. At the last several u/s, the techs have said there is only one. I assume that means they have fused. Does that mean we are at risk for both placentas to detach after Baby A is delivered if we have a vaginal birth?

2. Caleb2Cody

Caleb2Cody Well-Known Member

Mine was fused together during my pregancy. My did not come detached after Caleb was out, mine was fused at the top. Sorry if this is too graphic but, Caleb was stuck in the BC and they had to suck him out because they did not decrease my epi. After they got Caleb out, the Dr. reached in and pulled Cody down and broke his sack. Then they sucked him out within 6 min. After he was out my placenta's came. That is the only thing that I could feel and let me say that I felt 100% fine affter that was out. Hope that this wasn't too graphic, but informative.

3. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

My placentas fused. There was no danger to the 2nd baby. I had a vaginal delivery 21 minutes apart.

4. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

mine fused as well - I had a section though so it was really of no consequence

5. BMartinez72

BMartinez72 Well-Known Member

If I remember right, after having my DD, it took several minutes before my placenta was ready to come out. By then the second baby should be delivered. But because it's fused together now, you have to worry about what other connections it may have made. You need to keep an eye out for TTTS, it happens more so with shared placentas and ID twins, but as soon as those two fuse, it becomes shared property.... Most dont have problems though, yet its good to get it check up on to be on the safe side.

6. idtwinstx

idtwinstx Well-Known Member

My doctor swore that she saw two placentas in an early ultrasound. When I had my c-section, she said that is must have fused together, but in fact when they sent the placenta to pathology they realized that there was only one placenta and that my twins were identical. They could be wrong.

7. 4lilmonkeys

4lilmonkeys Well-Known Member

QUOTE(idtwinstx @ Nov 11 2007, 09:16 AM) [snapback]490693[/snapback]
    My doctor swore that she saw two placentas in an early ultrasound. When I had my c-section, she said that is must have fused together, but in fact when they sent the placenta to pathology they realized that there was only one placenta and that my twins were identical. They could be wrong.

Same for me. We're trying to get access to the pathology report, but the boys look exactly alike (down to the way their hair grows) so I'm betting they were right.

8. Ericka B

Ericka B Well-Known Member

As far as I know, no. A lot of ID twins share a placenta (mine did) and they are delivered vaginally. It is actually good that you had an early u/s that showed two placentas, there is always less concern with 2. Although I would be adament that they treat you as if there were only one placenta and watch the babies very closely. Congratulations on your twins and try no to think too far down the road

9. Trish_e

Trish_e Well-Known Member

I don't know a whole lot about placenta detachment with a vaginal birth, but I did read somewhere that if it happens the odds of it affecting the second twin is very slim, the baby isn't in the womb long enough.

TTTS only happens in ID twins if they share a placenta. A fused placenta is completely different from a shared placenta. A shared placenta is a single placenta for two babies. A fused placenta is two placentas (one for each baby), that has fused together to appear as one. So TTTS cannot happen in the case of fused placents. HTH

10. BMartinez72

QUOTE(Trish_e @ Nov 11 2007, 07:17 PM) [snapback]491192[/snapback]
    I don't know a whole lot about placenta detachment with a vaginal birth, but I did read somewhere that if it happens the odds of it affecting the second twin is very slim, the baby isn't in the womb long enough.

TTTS only happens in ID twins if they share a placenta. A fused placenta is completely different from a shared placenta. A shared placenta is a single placenta for two babies. A fused placenta is two placentas (one for each baby), that has fused together to appear as one. So TTTS cannot happen in the case of fused placents. HTH

Not sure where i got my information, but would you let me know where you got yours?

*edited to say:* Okay, mine was definitely heresay because I did a search and at the most reputable sites I go to, it's only been said that 1 time have they seen this anomaly occuring with fraternal twins and they aren't even sure why or anything. But typically you cannot get TTTS with fraternal, even if they share a placenta.

It's good they saw it early on and knew that there were two. If they have any u/s pictures, maybe you can ask to see it and have it pointed out to you...

11. Trish_e

QUOTE(Bernice @ Nov 12 2007, 05:05 AM) [snapback]491540[/snapback]
    Not sure where i got my information, but would you let me know where you got yours?

*edited to say:* Okay, mine was definitely heresay because I did a search and at the most reputable sites I go to, it's only been said that 1 time have they seen this anomaly occuring with fraternal twins and they aren't even sure why or anything. But typically you cannot get TTTS with fraternal, even if they share a placenta.

It's good they saw it early on and knew that there were two. If they have any u/s pictures, maybe you can ask to see it and have it pointed out to you...

I'm sure we went to the same places. ;) If you'd like me to give you links I will, just let me know.

I also want to say that fraternal twins cannot share a placenta. Only ID can share anything in the womb. :)

12. BMartinez72

QUOTE(Trish_e @ Nov 12 2007, 08:10 AM) [snapback]491606[/snapback]
    I'm sure we went to the same places. ;) If you'd like me to give you links I will, just let me know.

I also want to say that fraternal twins cannot share a placenta. Only ID can share anything in the womb. :)

Trish: :p You know what I mean! lol

I feel like that robot on Robots "I'm losing my mind!!!"

Will we ever get enough sleep to feel normal again? *sigh*

13. Trish_e

QUOTE(Bernice @ Nov 13 2007, 01:14 PM) [snapback]493892[/snapback]
    Trish: :p You know what I mean! lol

I feel like that robot on Robots "I'm losing my mind!!!"

Will we ever get enough sleep to feel normal again? *sigh*

Sorry couldn't help myself. :p
    I still feel like I'm losing my mind half the time! :)