gagging on "finger foods"

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by ghanigirl, Oct 29, 2008.

1. ghanigirl

ghanigirl Well-Known Member

So maybe it's the taste, but DS is gagging on the two finger foods I've tried and it truly seems to be the fact that it is not "smooth" like the pureed stuff. We've tried grated cheddar cheese and the Gerber Graduates sweet potato puffs. DD sort of spits it out, but has also swallowed both without making the absolute pathetic faces DS makes. They are about a week shy of 8 mos.

Should I keep pushing the finger foods anyway or am I destined to use pureed food for them for another few more months? What do you all think?

2. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Mine gag on homemade chicken puree... So I know they're still too young for finger foods. I'll try again in a couple weeks.

3. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls gagged on all new textures as well. Just keep trying and they'll get it.

4. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

QUOTE(aimeethomp @ Oct 29 2008, 09:12 PM) [snapback]1047693[/snapback]
    My girls gagged on all new textures as well. Just keep trying and they'll get it.

Same here. That dang gag reflex hung around forever. :rolleyes:

5. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

Sometimes kids get hung up on the texture of new foods. As long as he isn't choking or extremely upset (like crying) keep offering a small amount of the finger foods. It might help him to keep offering the same thing for a few days or until he gets used to the texture. You can also sit in front of him and taste some of the finger food and make exaggerated chewing/happy face/mmmmm noises to let him know it's ok.

If he is crying or extremely upset then stick to purees for a bit longer, maybe scatter 2-3 pieces of the finger foods on his tray but ignore them while you feed him purees. He might surprise you and grab one and eat it just fine.

Good luck and don't fret. All kids learn to eat eventually. :lol:

6. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Fran27 @ Oct 29 2008, 03:47 PM) [snapback]1047656[/snapback]
    Mine gag on homemade chicken puree... So I know they're still too young for finger foods. I'll try again in a couple weeks.

Mine gag on homemade meat puree as well, but they love puffs and pieces of toast. Just because they gag with one food, doesn't necessarily mean they won't eat others.

7. happychck

happychck Well-Known Member

thank you for this post! i feel that we should be trying finger foods, but i am so nervous. i even got a new cpr video to watch before we try them. i am so afriad of them gagging or choking.... i'm glad to hear that a lot of kids gag at first but then get the hang of it all.

best of luck!
    jl

8. suzrod

suzrod Well-Known Member

My girls are almost 9 months and I still break up the Puffs for them. They really like them, especially the Sweet Potato, but they gag if they eat a whole one. Keep trying, they'll get it. ;)

9. stefwebb

stefwebb Well-Known Member

DS1 was a gagger too and now he still does it but only when you give him something he doesn't like (which is most everything). He'll scarf down cheerios, puffs, goldfish, cheese crumbles, yogurt melts, etc but stick a tiny piece of sweet potato in his mouth and he gags and spits it out. Sweet potatos are his favorite baby food!