Gagging, vomiting and ...

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by smiley7, Apr 14, 2010.

1. smiley7

smiley7 Well-Known Member

OK, I feel like i've posted this before but I hope to get a kind word or reassurance again :unsure:

We talked to our pedi and she said that DD is a gagger and that explains her occasional vomitting after eating. Well, as a mom (and you all know this well) watching your child heave and vomit and turn really red to vomit jsut because they gag is still not very easy. She is gaining weight and after it happens she is usually cooing and smiling and then eats again. Today though she vomitted a second time. Luckily we have an appt with the pedi tomorrow.

DS is just the same wiggling and wiggling around. He is so active that feeding him at night can be a physical struggle sometimes.

We are just over 3 months (actual) and 2 months and 1 week adjusted. I know it'll get better but holy crap :faint: Even with help, I just dread feedings. The only good news is they actually "eat" much more quickly now it's just the settling and vomitting that add an extra 30+ minutes to every feed.

Anyone have this experience?

BTW, do you change their diapers at night before every feed. I find i need to but they wake up a bit more.

2. busymomof3

busymomof3 Well-Known Member

My one twin is a gagger and puker as well. I know how incrediably frustrating that can be!! Still at 16 months he gags and vomits if he comes across a texture he doesn't like. Now his selection of food is very small and I find that I have to feed him stage three baby food if I want him to eat meat at all because otherwise he wont touch it. he went back and forth between the things he would eat without puking and then the next day he would puke with it :(
    I still give him formula and bulk up the food he will eat with extra calories if I can as per our dieticians advice but he is still in less than the 5th % for his actual age. We have worked with PT, OT,SLP and a dietician and the one thing that helped is to feed him smaller meals more often .I am hoping he grows out of it soon but to be honest with you I have a texture issue with some foods as well so I guess he comes by it honestly. The only thing I can do is let him eat whatever he will actually put in his mouth that day.
    Best of luck and I hope your little one outgrows it soon.

3. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

My son has been a gagger since conception I believe. I remember being in the hospital after having him and he starting gagging...its never stopped, although it has gotten better. I honestly just think some kids have a more prominent gag reflex. It is super annoying, but I have learned just to deal with it. No medical issues where ever found that caused him to be this way, he just can't get past certain textures. He can't even swollow pills yet and he is 12 (still have to have liquid meds for everything)! He has thrown up more times than I care to count, but its just who he is. I sooooo understand how you feel!!

4. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't have any experience with the gagging but :hug: I know that must be difficult to watch. Poor baby.

As for the diaper changes, I only changed their diaper in the night if it was absolutely necessary. Unless they were really, really wet or they were poopy then I just fed them & put them back to bed.