Gagging

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Specky, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who has a little one who likes to 'gag' themselves? Ryan has been gagging himself with his hand off and on, I know it's just a self stim thing or for attention (I try as best as I can to ignore it)....It doesn't help when he has an audience, Christopher laughs everytime he sees Ryan do it...what do you do...it's driving me mad!

THANKS!

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

my girls do this a lot - i always just do a quick check to make sure they haven't made themselves throw up but otherwise ignore it. :unknw: definitely not the world's nicest habit.

3. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

Totally normal...Max went through that phase. Thankfully he lost interest in about 2-3 weeks. We would just say "Max no" or " Max finger out of mouth" and that helped a bit.

4. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

OMG, my guys go through phases of this! They'll do it for a while, then forget about it, then start back up just when I thought they were done for good. :gah: And my boys just love to actually make themselves throw up. :bad: They usually do this when they're bored at the end of a meal, so when they start I clean them up and get them down from their high chairs. If I say "no" or try to pull their hands out of their mouths, they laugh and do it even more. <_< The only way I've found to deal with it is not to make a big deal about it (giving it more attention spurs them on), but end the meal and keep it moving.

I hope it's a short-lived phase for you!

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We went through the same phase. I always checked to make sure that they were not gagging on anything for real and then tried not to give it too much attention afterwards.

6. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

THANKS everyone! Today it's the first time at the end of the meal...ggrr...but i just washed them up and got them down and Ryan forgot about it...the phase comes and goes...I hope it's short lived, but I'm glad others have ignored it aswell (it drives my husband nuts, he wants to stop it, but I agree with the thought that it encourages him if i give to much attention to it! thanks again guys!!
    reb

7. Hananielsgirl

Hananielsgirl Well-Known Member

My little guy did it for awhile...drove me crazy! Especially when he would throw up on me! EWWWW!
    He did grow out of it though after about 6 weeks.