Game of Thrones

Discussion in 'General' started by twinstuff2, Apr 18, 2011.

1. twinstuff2

twinstuff2 Well-Known Member

We don't have HBO right now but there was a free trial of it this weekend on DirecTV so I checked out their new series Game of Thrones. It was very interesting, very addictive and VERY, VERY non-kid friendly (lots of sex, nudity and graphic violence). I would describe it as the Sopranos or The Godfather set in medieval times, with a Lord of the Rings fantasy overtone (that wasn't too apparent in last night's episode).

The series is based on George R. Martin's fantasy series of Song of Fire and Ice novels. There's been four in the series so far with #5 due out this summer. Since I may have to wait for a DVD version of the HBO series now, I'll have to check out the books in the meantime as they seem worth reading it if you like that genre at all (fantasy but more violent with some psychological overtones). Here's more on the book series if you are interested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Song_of_Ice_and_Fire

and oh - I didn't realize it but there is a twin connection. The Queen Cersai (she is played by a lady who looks a little like Kate Winslet in the HBO series) is romantically involved with her brother (definitely a villain but a likeable one last night). And apparently they're twins - I'm not sure they mentioned that aspect of the relationship last night. But like I said, this show isn't for the kids.

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm a huge fan of the books and I really liked last night's episode. You are definitely correct that it is not for kids at all. And yes, Ceresi and Jaime are twins :bad: ( I was shocked about their relationship in the book) I wouldn't say that Sean Bean matches the Eddard Stark in my head but I thought he was fantastic last night and I think Peter Dinkledge makes a great Tyrion. Also, I wasn't sure of Mark Addy as King Robert but he was really good last night.

3. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I watched the first episode with DH last night. He's read all the books -- I haven't read any, but there are so few things we watch together, I figured I'd give it a try. Also, I was curious whether it would make sense to someone with no prior knowledge of the series, which it did, mostly. I'll probably watch at least one more episode, though it was a little grim and bloody for me. My favorite part was actually the opening credits, which were extremely cool.

4. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

I am not a knight and medieval fan at all. But I loved this. Totally dirty, violent and right up my alley ;)

5. twinstuff-old

twinstuff-old Well-Known Member

So is there a way to watch it if you don't subscribe to HBO?

6. kingeomer

I'm not sure. I don't know if Netflix or Hulu would be streaming the episodes. Or HBO.com.

7. Chrissy Nelson

I know that you might be able to watch it at HBO.com. I was hooked on Dexter but ended up giving in and subscribing to Showtime. The online episodes are heavily edited, no cursing and no sex. I know with our company you can get HBO for a bit then cxl it. But you might want to keep it because True Blood will be on in June.

8. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

My husband was telling me about this show last night but we don't have HBO either. Definitely have to check it out after reading all this, though!

Craig, there are other ways but they aren't legal.. :unsure:

9. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

We watched the pilot last night after reading this thread and DH loved it. We have it set to tape on the DVR each week. This may become our new guilty pleasure.

10. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I just watched the first 2 episodes on HBO On Demand. I wasn't sure if the queen and that guy were brother and sister or not. They're twins?! :bad: Sick!

I'm hooked on the show.

11. Chrissy Nelson

So the queen that was in the tower was doing the "deed" with her brother??

This is an interesting show but there are alot of people to keep up with.

12. kingeomer

Yup :bad:

What did you all think of the last episode? I was prepared for the scene where Ned had to kill Sansa's wolf but I still got choked up. I was really hoping that somehow he would set her free. Prince Joffrey is a little psycho brat :catfight:

13. Chrissy Nelson

So did he push the boy just because he saw the bro and sis doing the nasty? It seems to me that that was pretty much the thing to do then.

That prince is a little turd. And the part with the dog was sad.

14. kingeomer

Yup, Jaime pushed the boy for seeing him and the queen getting busy. Because if the boy were to tell, they both could be killed for treason (having the affair, not even to mention the incest).

15. AimeeThomp

I thought the second episode was really good but some parts were hard to watch. I can't wait to see what that little boy has to say now that he's awake. (I don't know anyone's name in the show yet.)
    Also, I wonder where they are going with the relationship between the really blonde girl and the Dothraki (is that right?) guy. I wonder if they will wind up in love.

16. kingeomer

Has anyone watched the last two episodes?
    I really want to punch Jaime very hard. Of course, I felt the same way reading the books, so the actor is doing a great job portraying him. I thought the fight scene with him and Ned was very intense.

17. Chrissy Nelson

I am finding this show dificult to watch. There are just too many plot lines going on. I do enjoy the sex and violence though.

1 person likes this.
  18. twinstuff2

twinstuff2 Well-Known Member

I have to wait for the DVD set but I do want to get it when it comes out. I read the book instead and that too is difficult to follow at times, although it has its moments. As far as the book goes, I preferred the non fighting scenes.

I was also going to say I much prefer the female characters in the show/book. They for the most part are much more interesting character studies (with a few exceptions like Ned Stark, the dwarf, Jon and the queen's twin brother).

19. kingeomer

Chrissy, I agree with what you are saying...my DH has not read the books and I have to stop the show to answer some of his questions. It took me a while to get into the first book precisely of the many storylines and trying to remember who was who and why they were important. I think the show is doing the best job they can in trying to be concise but they are difficult books to pare down.
    Right now, they say the show is doing well in the ratings and a few of the actors (Sean Bean :wub: and Peter Dinkledge) are being talked up for the Emmys but I wonder if this show is going to have staying power over the long run? I really enjoy it, I hope it does.

20. AimeeThomp

Since I started reading the book it is helping me to keep up with what's going on in the show. If only I had enough time to catch up in the book to where they are on the show. Also having seen the show is helping me understand the book.

I can't decide if I like the king or not. I have a hard time watching all the violence on the show. I certainly am not a fan of seeing people and animals beheaded. :bad:

21. Chrissy Nelson

Wow violence overload last night!! Very intense with the crown of gold. I am starting to get the hang of things, of course I am sure the show will be ending soon since True Blood is coming on.

22. AimeeThomp

I hope it's not about to end! I started reading the book but I'm only on the 2nd chapter. I don't know what "being the dragon" means but obviously that Kahleesi woman is it. I predict that her unborn son is going to either become the next king or a big main enemy.

23. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Nancyfuzzi - we should do a book/movie spoiler thread. There are so many things I want to talk about the show with someone who has read the book(s) too.

For Aimee and others, here is a list of characters that have been in the show so far.

Stark Family -
    (h) Ned/Eddard
    (w) Catelyn
    children oldest to youngest:
    Jon Snow (boy, Ned's b*stard)
    Robb (boy)
    Sansa (girl)
    Arya (girl)
    Bran (boy)
    Rickon (boy)

Catelyn's birth family
    Lysa - married to the murdered Hand, Jon Arryn
    Her 6 year old boy, I don't remember his name, but he's Lord of the Eyrie.

King Baratheon's family
    King Robert
    Queen Cersei
    Prince Joffrey
    Princess Myrcella
    Prince Tommen

Queen Cersei's birth family

Jaime Lannister (twin to Queen Cersei)
    Tyrion Lannister (aka Imp, dwarf)

Tarageon/Dothraki people
    Vicerys Tarageon brother to
    Danerys Tarageon (Queen/Khaleesi)
    Khal Drogo (Danerys's husband)

Misc people
    Littlefinger/Ser Peter Baelish (on the council)
    Maester Pycelle (on the council)
    Hodor - at the Stark's place, Winterfell, he's a servant but can only say "Hodor". Cute character.
    Samwell - Night Watch, portly boy, pretty much useless
    The Hound - Prince Joffrey's do-boy. Burned in a fire by his brother, the Mountain.
    Syrio - Arya's sword/dancing instructor.

Nancy, feel free to add anyone that has been introduced in the series so far.

1 person likes this.
  24. kingeomer

Bex, thanks for the character list.
    I just want to add: Lysa's little boy is named Robin on the series but is Robert in the books
    And Ser Jorah Mormont is the exiled knight traveling with the Danerys and Khal Drogo (basically he is the guy explaining the Dothraki traditions to Danerys and Viserys and us the audience).
    Misc. people-the bald chubby guy on the King's Council is Varys...also known as the Spider as he has spies everywhere (including Jorah Mormont as revealed in last week's episode)
    King Baratheon's family also includes his brother Renly, who is also on the council.
    Ned Stark has a brother Benjen who is in the Night's Watch with Jon and was introduced in the earlier episodes. Theon Greyjoy is a ward in the Stark household...he's the one who shot the wilding with an arrow this week and we saw a whole lot of him (cough, cough) last week.

On to last night's episode. It wasn't my favorite. It had some good parts. Robb and Theon handling the wilding attack on Bran was awesome, as was Ned sitting on the throne. The end with Viserys was great...but the rest I was neutral about. I think it's last episode will be June 19th, it supposed to be 10 episodes and True Blood should be picking up the week after that. This show was renewed for a second season.
    I still want to slap Jaime Lannister. Hard.

1 person likes this.
  25. kingeomer

Okay, I know we have not discussed the show in a couple of weeks but did anyone watch last night's episode. It was a hard one for me to watch (hard for me to read in the book too)...:cry: :cry:

26. becasquared

I still just want to pinch Joffrey's head off. The actor doesn't have the big fat lips like Joffrey is supposed to have, but I find that the thin lipped Joffrey is even more of a douchenozzle than a fat lipped one would be.

And then when Jaime was captured, my husband was like, "whoa, is that JAIME LANNISTER?" me: "yeah, Robb captured him in battle." Mikey: "Wow, this is going to be intense!" And then when the final scene happened, it was like he totally forgot about Jaime.

I knew that it was coming this week since last week's episode was all set up for the craziness to come. I didn't watch the beheading because I found it more intriguing to watch my husband's face during that scene.

27. AimeeThomp

I could not believe it. Is Joffrey going to be the worst king ever or what? Poor Sansa. Poor Ned. If Khal Drogo, Khaleesi and the baby come back as some sort of evil demons I am going to be so disappointed. They were my favorite characters. To lose Khal Drogo and Ned in the same episode was just too much. :cry:

28. Chrissy Nelson

I could not believe that last scene. I thought he was around for the long haul. King Jeoffry better watch his back. I would send Jamies head directly to him.

I however find the story line with Khaleesi and Drago much more interesting.

Did khal Drogo die??

29. becasquared

No, he's still alive, just really sick. :)

How many episodes are left? Just one?

30. Chrissy Nelson

I did not see I think there might be 2 left because True Blood starts in 2 weeks and they normally try to overlap new shows.

31. becasquared

I just looked. The Season Finale will be on June 19. So one more episode this season.

32. kingeomer

Yup, one more episode left.
    Ned is my favorite character and I was so sad to see him go (in the books and show). I think Sean Bean did a great job with the part and totally deserves an Emmy (pretty sure none of the other best actors will have to act out a beheading). It was even more horrifying that both Arya and Sansa had to witness it, especially since Sansa thought her efforts got her Dad to confess & would make Joffrey be merciful.
    I do agree that the Starks should send Jaime's head to Kings Landing on platter. But that could be because I hate Jaime so my judgment might be clouded :laughing:
    Joffrey is evil :aggressive: Sadly, if Jaime's head was sent to him, I don't think he'd care all that much. But I will say that the young actor who is playing him is doing a wonderful job.

33. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

We had to watch it from the DVR last night a day early for us after reading the posts :shok: . Lots of gore and tragedy. I hope Drago and the Kahlessi keep playing major roles because they are two of my favorite characters. I was sad to see Ned executed, but I kind of had a feeling that would happen once he was arrested.

So how are the books? Since I see some of you have read them already. On Amazon some of the reviews said they were long, scattered with all the different characters, and boring taking about 200 pages until they got interesting. I am going to need a new book soon for my Kindle, but I didn't want to waste my time or money if that is true. The series is great, but I know some books that they are based on don't always follow exactly the same course.

34. kingeomer

Kristin, there is a thread in the book forum about the books to discuss them when you read them. I will say they are worth a read. I thought the first book took me about 100-200 pages to get into but I had to figure out all of the characters and why they were important. The rest of the books are a lot easier to get into, or they were for me, because I had the lay of the land down by then. I think books 1-3 are very good and the 4th book is good but not at the quality of the others. Happy reading!

35. AimeeThomp

Kristin - I am reading the first book and it's not a book that grips you from the first page, for sure. But since I sort-of already know the characters (just didn't know everyone's names) that's helping a lot. Now that I'm around page 150 it's getting more interesting. There is a lot more detail in the book and reading the book has helped tremendously as far as knowing everyone's names! I want to go watch the first season again after I finish the book. I bet I'll catch more.