Gestational Weight (ultrasound) vs Birth Weight

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Jooles, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Jooles

Jooles Active Member

Not sure if this is the right forum for this question.

I'm wondering for those who have already delivered their twins how accurate were the gestational weights (via ultrasound)? We're your babies actually close to the estimate at birth?

I know with my son (singleton) it was fairly close and I am hoping the twins will be too. I am currently 35 weeks and as of today Baby A was 6lbs 2oz and Baby B was 5lbs 14oz. I have two more weeks until my scheduled c-section and wonder if they really will be close to 7lbs each :eek: .

Anyone care to share their experiences?

2. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

well my last ultrasound was at 32 weeks. They were both weighing around 3 pound 10oz then. My doctor said babies gain 1/2 pound a week. I carried to 37 weeks (which would be another2.5 pounds) so at that point we were anticipating the babies being around 6 pounds each.

Well they weighed in at 5#4oz, and 4#13oz -- both about 1 pound smaller than we anticipated.

3. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

My last u/s was at 38 weeks and it showed baby A to be 5lbs 13oz and he was born 7lbs 14oz at 39 weeks. Baby B was estimated at 6lbs 10oz and was born 6lbs 4 oz. So they were close with baby b. :good:

4. melissa26

melissa26 Well-Known Member

mine were estimated 5.6 and 5.9 the day before my induction and they were 5.1 and 5.3 at birth the next day

5. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

Mine were very accurate, but I hear more often that they're way off especially when they're predicting them large (so I didn't expect mine to be that big).

My oldest measured 3950 grams (at 40w6d), she was born 9lbs2oz at 41w2d (4150 grams) so pretty close.

My twins both measured 2lbs11oz at 26w, 4lbs5oz and 4lbs6oz at 30w and 6lbs1oz and also lower 6lbs range at 34 weeks. They were born close to 8lbs a piece at 38w2d, so very very accurate.

However, my friend's twins were estimated higher 6lbs / lower 7lbs range and one was upper 4lbs range, the other one lower 5 ...

6. Ebick4d

Ebick4d Member

My last ultrasound was at 34.5 weeks. They estimated Baby A at 6lb 2oz and Baby B at 6lb 15oz. They were born at 37w4d and Baby A was 6lb 15oz and Baby B was 6lb 13oz. I would say mine was not very accurate. I was told they tend to err on the side of large.

7. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I know the last u/s I had before Trevor was born it said he was over 3 lbs already and I was shocked to see that. :eek: But then when he was born 2 days later he was only 2 lbs 7 oz, so it was not accurate for him.

8. kdanielleflowers

kdanielleflowers Well-Known Member

My last u/s was 2 weeks before I had my c/s. Baby A was estimated at 2lb 7oz and baby B at 4lb 11oz. Baby A was 2lb 4oz and baby b was 4lb 4oz. They were off on both and both girls were smaller than what they had estimated two weeks earlier.

9. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

My u/s was about 4 days before I went into labor. They estimated the boys to be 5lbs or more. They were born at 3lbs 3oz and 3lbs 11oz. It was a tech that I didn't trust so I think it was more her than the u/s.

10. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I had one about 2 days before they came and mine was right on.

11. becky5

becky5 Guest

They were right on with Emma, 1lb off with Jake.

12. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

My last ultrasound was done the day before they were born and it was right on. I think the accuracy differs depending on the expertise of the technician and the sensitivity of the ultrasound machine. Someone here posted a link to a study last year done showing that ultrasounds at perinatologist offices are much closer to reality than those done in regular OB offices because perinatologist ultrasound technicians usually have more training and better machines.

13. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

My last u/s was two days before I delivered. They estimated the girls to be over 4lbs each and they ended up being 3lb 9oz and 3lbs 10oz, so it was pretty close.

14. reggs55

reggs55 Well-Known Member

My last ultrasound showed:

Baby A: 6 lbs. 12 oz.
    Baby B: 6 lbs. 5 oz.

Six days later they were born:

Baby A: 5 lbs. 10 oz.
    Baby B: 6 lbs. 12 oz.

15. stacyw

stacyw Well-Known Member

My last ultrasound was at 34 weeks. They told me that one was about 3-10 and the other was close to 5 lbs. I gave birth to them two days later at 34+2 and they weight 4-8 and 4-10. So I learned that the weights they give you on ultrasound aren't very accurate they're just sort of a guideline.

16. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

mine were very close o their US weights. I think it was a couple oz off.

17. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

My last ultrasound was the day before my c-section. I had it the next day because they didn't think the boys were growing. They were estimated at about 5 lbs 8 ounces and maybe 4 lbs 12 ounces. They were 6 lbs and 5lbs 4 ounces so we were pleased that they were actually bigger and had grown.

18. Brown Eyed Gurl

Brown Eyed Gurl Well-Known Member

they weren't tooo far off but my ob guessed around 5lbs a piece tops and DS was 6 lb 12 oz and DD was 5 lb 14 oz so mine were bigger

19. june07girl

june07girl Well-Known Member

My last ultrasound was at 35w5d and they estimated their weights at 7lbs and 7lbs 2oz. They were born two weeks later and were 6lbs 14oz and 7lbs 1oz.

20. artemis

artemis Well-Known Member

I just realized that I didn't write the u/s weights down, I'm so mad! I had a very careful u/s by my perinatologist right before having an emergency c/s and the estimated weights were only 2-3 oz off from the actual birthweights.

I think it depends on how precise the person is who does the ultrasound. A tech won't be as careful as a peri, for example.

21. slr814

slr814 Well-Known Member

I can't remember exactly what their predicted weights were, but I estimated that following an average growth curve, based on their last u/s measurements, they would be about 7 lbs each. They were born at 7.3 (boy) and 7 (girl). They did tell me that the boy was measuring smaller than the girl, but the tech said that was just because she had a bigger abdomen. Her head and bones were smaller, so I thought she would end up weighing less, and I was right! She was just chubby.

22. mahovina

mahovina Member

My perinatologist measured them to A= 4.13 and B=6.9 at our 36 week appointment. This peri sent us off to be induced, and they came out A= 5.4 and B= 5.1, so quite a difference, the smaller and bigger baby were opposite what they thought. I asked different techs and the peri about the accuracy, and I think it was +/- 10 or 11 oz margin of error.

23. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

the day before my boys were born (35wks) I was told 6.15 and 6.5lbs...they were born at 4.12 and 5.13
    We were told that there can be a 1-2lb margin of error...boy were we surprised when they were born, so much so...I asked if there was another delivery in the room and they got them confused! hahaa

PS-despite their lower weight...they did and are doing GREAT!

good luck!
    reb

24. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My last u/s was at 33w2d and they measured Baby A as 4lbs 9oz and Baby B as 4lbs 12oz and when they were born late at night on 33w6d Baby B was 4lbs 8oz and Baby B was 4lbs 10oz....so I would say very close:) Good luck with your upcoming delivery!

25. SC_Amy

SC_Amy Well-Known Member

At the last u/s (6 days before my scheduled induction), I think the estimated weights were each 5 lbs 11 oz. (I might be off by an ounce or two in remembering--might have been 5.10.) Their birth weights were 6 lbs 10 oz and 6 lbs 7 oz.

26. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

My last u/s with the boys was the morning my water broke and I was in labor (we were checking head position and estimating weight). They were measured at 5lbs 3oz...they were born 12 hours later weighing 5lbs 14oz each...so within a lb.

27. HoneyBear23

HoneyBear23 Well-Known Member

My U/S was right on. At my growth U/S at 34w0d, Baby B (DD) was estimated to be 3 lbs 7 oz. She was born that day at 3lbs 6 oz! I can't remember when they gave for DS's weight.

28. heather.anne.henderson

heather.anne.henderson Well-Known Member

My peri said there can be up to a 1 lb discrepancy, however I think it makes a difference who is doing the measuring. I cant stand the techs, they dont seem to care a rush through everything. I have been fortunate and my peri does all of her own ultrasounds, no techs. YEAH!!

29. dallasm

dallasm Well-Known Member

my last ultrasound showed them to be 5 1/2 lbs and 5 lbs at 33 weeks. At 35 weeks 4 days they arrived at 5 lbs 9 oz and 5lbs 7 oz! Pretty accurate for me!