Girls Hair: Bangs or No Bangs

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by lilpanda, Jan 5, 2007.

1. lilpanda

lilpanda Member

The girls' hair is starting to get into their eyes. I can't decide whether to trim it (bangs) or just let it grow out (no bangs). I guess I'm wondering that if I let it grow out, it might be difficult to maintain. What did you decide to do?

Joy

2. lilpanda

lilpanda Member

The girls' hair is starting to get into their eyes. I can't decide whether to trim it (bangs) or just let it grow out (no bangs). I guess I'm wondering that if I let it grow out, it might be difficult to maintain. What did you decide to do?

Joy

3. girlsxtwo

girlsxtwo Well-Known Member

I am struggling with this same issue. I have cut Abigail's bang a whlie back, but they are really long again. I would prefer to have them grown out, but my girls won't leave bows or hairclips in their hair. I'm curious to see what others have to say.

4. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

As you can see by my avatar, we went for bangs. Sarah looks alot like I did a baby and I always had bangs and looking back, I like how it looks in my pictures. So, she got bangs and I love it for her.

Marissa

5. Trouble(aka Roxanne)

Trouble(aka Roxanne) Well-Known Member

My older daughter had bangs and I cut them all the time to keep them out of her face, and when I had my twins and they had so much hair, that I decided not to cut their hair and let it grow..I have been putting pony tails and stuff in their hair since they were babies to keep it out of their faces...I like it all one length...and now my older daughter has no bangs and has her hair all one length like my twins....I can't seem to post a pic of my girls for you to see...

6. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

My girls all have bangs (or fringes as we call them), I think they are cute. However I don't think growing out their bangs would add much more effort to looking after their hair.

7. 2 Munchkins

2 Munchkins Well-Known Member

We went with bangs, mostly b/c I can't stand to have hair in their face, plus I have bangs myself.

8. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

Catherine doesn't have bangs. I just pull it back into bows, barettes or pigtails. I think it looks cute that way [​IMG]

9. lrothrock1

lrothrock1 Well-Known Member

I'm desperetly trying to decide this too! Erin has a ton of hair, and it is @1" past her eyes. She walks around with her head back to see. I've tried barretts, headbands, and she pulls them off. I can put her hair in a pony, but not the bangs yet. So I have to mouse it to try and keep it out of her eyes. I need to get it cut soon, or leave it. Still very undecided.

10. BettiePage

BettiePage Well-Known Member

I LOVE bangs on little girls! From their very first haircut, I got little short bangs cut for my girls and will probably continue to do bangs until they start expressing opinions on how they want their hair. Did I mention that I love bangs? SO CUTE! [​IMG]

11. p31heather

p31heather Well-Known Member

if you do bangs, you'll have to maintain them. try for a while and see if they will wear a pony on top of their heads. when that will no longer work for various reasons, then get bangs. You can alternate with pony and barrette and bangs. This is what we do.

12. japhy311

japhy311 Well-Known Member

No bangs. Not for us. I think it limits the number of things that can be done with the girls' hair and it would take a long time for them to grow out. Plus, I love the different parts, cute barettes, etc, that I can use to pull hair back from their face.

13. Amanda

Amanda Well-Known Member

I prefer no bangs on Berkley, she has the right face for it though.
    I think it's less maintenance, just trim them when the rest gets trimmed, no maintenance otherwise!

14. mand3asmom

mand3asmom Member

My little girl has bangs, she looks so cute wtih them... we think.... plus, I doubt she would let us put it up enough to grow them out at this point.....

15. MJXplus2

MJXplus2 Well-Known Member

We're going with no bangs. I had bangs as a kid and didn't like it and my mom wouldn't let me grow them out until I was a teenager because she didn't want to see hair in my face and deal with the grow out phase. I figure if the girls want bangs later it is a lot easier to cut them than it is to grow them out when they are older if they don't like them. It is a pain right now because it is still in their faces, but they love bows and ribbons so it isn't too bad.

16. ads3046

ads3046 Well-Known Member

I guess you could call it bangs because her hair has never been cut, except for the handfull of times I've trimmed the hair out of her eyes. Grace absolutely will not [​IMG] let me fix or put ANYTHING in her hair. What choice do I have for now, but to cut the dang things out of her eyes? [​IMG] I SO want to fix her hair and she won't let me.

Angela

17. jem0622

jem0622 Well-Known Member

My sweeties have bangs. I couldn't stand their long bangs and they wouldn't keep anything in their hair. I have trimmed it all myself.

18. bridget nanette

bridget nanette Well-Known Member

I had Mikayla's cut, so now she has bangs. She looks cute! I have bangs too...I guess I've always been a bang person.

[​IMG]

Bridget

19. JenJefLog

JenJefLog Well-Known Member

I went with bangs for a long time on my girls. I just trimmed them myself. Then Sarah decided she wanted to grow hers out, so she did a few years ago. Caitlin decided to grow hers out a year ago and they're finally to a length where they don't hang in her face. I like bangs better, but I let them decide for themselves once they were a bit older.

20. candctwinfactory

candctwinfactory Well-Known Member

No bangs here. My avatar shows Chloe with one pony-tail and here is her with two. She does not pull these out as we make a big deal as to how cute she is.

21. JeninSF

JeninSF Well-Known Member

Bangs - but wish I didn't. My mistale was a did not start putting things in her hair early on to get used to it (and she was bald for most of the first year). ONce it was time to start clipping it back, she was close to 18 months and was not having it. I of course still think she looks cute, but I know one day we will grow them out and that is going to be a pain! I have to get them trimmed every 4-6 weeks. I'm chicken to do it myself.

22. MellysLittleBoos

MellysLittleBoos Well-Known Member

We were in the process of growing our girls bangs out. I don't like bangs and did not want my girls to have them. I did cut them when they were younger to keep it out of their eyes and didn't like it that way, so we were growing them out. They were soooo close to being long enough to cut the girls hair into chin length bobs, but Emma got ahold of my sewing scissors and chopped her hair up. Now her bangs are super short and we have to wait longer for her hair to regrow lol. Emma has a cowlick in her bangs too, so bangs do not look good on her.

My girls don't like to keep clips in either. Mainly because they tend to slide out of their hair.

23. homewithmy3

homewithmy3 Well-Known Member

My girls have bangs. They get their hair cut by a stylist. So they not only have bangs they have a hairstyle. Their hair is layered. It is so funny to see them walk out of the salon. They both say "Mommy...I pretty." I dont think having bangs limits the hairstyle. I think it can add to it. My girls wear their hair up in ponytails, pigtails, they also wear cut little barretts too. I think it all depends what you want to do with their hair and what looks good on them. My girls hairstyle with bangs is SO easy. If I want to put it up I can. If I want to leave it down and fluf up the bangs a little their is done. Sometimes I even pull their bangs back with a barrett. Their bangs are long but NOT in the eyes that way I can still do different things with their bangs instead of just having it on the forhead. My girls are 3 1/2 now and they are telling me how they want it.... "Mommy....I want my hair up." OR "Mommy......leave my hair down." I love doing their hair but I do look forward to when they can do it themselves(as long as I like the do).

Cherie
    Ramzie 6/8/00
    Malena & Sofia 6/27/03
    Oscar 10/14/91
    Chalo 2/9/93

24. pam2baby

pam2baby Well-Known Member

I let their hair grow because they have a cowlick ( not sure if you pronounce it that way) so bangs would have looked silly.
    It has been easier not having to fuss with bangs, as I go back and forth on the " band thing" too so I know how much work is envolved to keep them looking good. ( and NOT 80's style)
    But that being said, if your little miss doesn't tolerate things in her hair then bangs might be the only option.
    good luck ladies!!! p

My girlies...
    Shae Leighanne & Drew Dakota Nov 24/03
    My little dude....
    Stone Jackson October 24/06

25. flannelphilly

flannelphilly Well-Known Member

I have four girls and have always given bangs until they were in first grade. Mind you only two have made it to first so far and the twins are only 2. One of my older daughters has no bangs but takes care of her own hair (9), the other is 6 and very clearly wants bangs. The twins will also have choice when they manage more of their hair care.

26. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

I would love for the girls to have no bangs, but they will not keep clips in. So they have bangs.

27. HBMOMOF2SETS

HBMOMOF2SETS Well-Known Member

I think bangs are very cute but Molly has such curly hair I think it would be too much to keep up with. Thankfully she lets me clip or put up hair to get it out of her face.
    Christine

28. Cortney

Cortney Well-Known Member

We had to make it a game with my niece to keep her hair pulled back. She did let us and as a baby she loved wearing things in her hair and wearing hats and everything till she figured out how to pull them out. Still no bangs for her. I didn't have bangs till I had them cut in when I was in 4th grade and let them grow out in 9th, I don't miss them and hated the maintence of them!

29. sharon_with_j_and_n

sharon_with_j_and_n Well-Known Member

Nicole has lots of curly hair and even with bangs, some really long pieces come forward and she's always pushing it out of her face so a partial pony is a must for her. Jamie has straighter hair and it's still growing in so I gave her bangs just so it would look like I've done something with it. I plan to cut the rest of it in a one length blunt cut before they start pre-school in the fall. So YES...bangs! I just trim them when they get out of the bathtub once every couple of weeks.

[​IMG]

30. momoftwoangels

momoftwoangels Well-Known Member

I prefer the girls with no bangs either, I like pulling it back with hair bows, etc.... and not to mention Mackenzies hair is curly and it would not look good with bangs

31. **Sandy**

**Sandy** Well-Known Member

We cut bangs for Elizabeth but not for Grace. I did not want bangs for either of them, but they refuse to wear barrettes or bows. After struggling with it and tired of seeing Elizabeth try to see through her hair, we finally cut the bangs. Grace has really curly hair so she did not ned bangs. Elizabeth looks adorable with her bangs and we can always grow them out later when she decides she is willing to wear barrettes in her hair.

32. marose

marose Well-Known Member

This is the great debate in my family. I don't like bangs and DH wants the hair out of her face. I have tried clips on the side but her brother keeps pulling them out and trying to put it in his hair. Her hair finally got long enough to put in a ponytail so she wears her hair like Pebbles Flintstone now and Dh loves it. I think she looks so cute with it and her brother can't pull it out yet.

33. katie c

katie c Well-Known Member

My Eldest D only just grew her fringe out last year but middle DD never really had one she was cool about having her hair tied up so it was never a problem.
    Ember is curly so I'm not sure what we are going to do she isn't to keen on keeping anything in her hair so at the moment she has a kinda fringe but hoping on letting it grow.

BTW love the way you call it bangs its so funny [​IMG]

34. Crystal74

Crystal74 Well-Known Member

Bangs here for Mia. She will hardly let me brush her hair as it is. Every time I try to pull it back, Matthew has a tantrum until I "do something" with his hair. It's more effort to me than it's worth. Maybe in a few years we'll grow it out..... when she can tell me she wants to. For now, it's all about the bangs for my convenience [​IMG]

Crystal

35. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Totally bangs. I'm not letting them have long hair until they are old enough to at least brush it themselves. (My mom did the same thing with me -- I grew it out in 2nd grade.) Also, they won't sit still long enough to put any kind of a clip or pony tail holder in. And I just think they look cute.