Giving up a nap

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by rayceryin12, Aug 11, 2013.

1. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

My boys will be 1 on 8/28. Yesterday and today, we put them down for their nap, which is usually 2:30 to 3:30 or 4:00. They have acted tired, but played, squealed etc. and would not go to sleep. Yesterday, around 5:30, they started to get sleepy and barely made it to their 7:00 bedtime.

????

2. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

Are they taking one nap or two? Maybe they napped too long in the morning or their schedule was disturbed by something else?

My kids dropped from two naps to one nap at 14 months, and around a year old was when they started fighting their naps, although usually it was that they refused their morning nap.

3. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

They are a little early to drop to one nap, but mine did around 13 months. It was a scary transition, but I ended up loving the one nap period. They would sleep for 3-4 hours on the weekends! Ah, so fabulous!

4. rayceryin12

They took their normal morning nap from 9:15-11:00. That's about normal and they were normal yesterday though.

Eh, who knows. We shall see what happens tomorrow!!!

5. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

If it becomes a repeated problem, you might consider limiting their morning nap to no more than an hour and see if that helps. They may just be reaching the age where their sleep needs drop a bit. We had to do some adjusting with naps as we went along.

6. Nanny88

Nanny88 Well-Known Member

I think the boys were about 12 months when I switched them to 1 nap. I had a friend who had done it successfully with her 10 month old so I thought I would try it with the boys. It worked great and I love having a big block of time in the morning to do thing outside of the house(library, park, open gym, grocery store, etc) before it was so hard to go anywhere because if they fell asleep in the can they would not take a morning nap and there was hardly anytime to do anything. I just decided to try it one day. I used to put them down at 10:30 for their first nap so the 1st day. I kept them playing until 11am and they started getting cranky so I fed them lunch which gave me another 30 minutes. Then they were happy to play for about 30 more minutes. After that I would change their diapers and put them down around 12-12:20. I leave them in their until 3 even if they are awake otherwise they don't make it to bedtime. They are very happy in their cribs so they just roll around and babble until I get them up.

7. rayceryin12

Thanks ladies! Today they napped at the sitters, so who knows!

Silly boys!! LOL