Glass Sippy Cups

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by AmberG, Jul 19, 2011.

1. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

Have any of you ever tried a glass sippy cup like the ones from the following link?

http://www.amazon.com/Lifefactory-Eco-Friendly-9-Ounce-Glass-Bottle/dp/B0052QOKXA/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1311105488&sr=8-12

I have a Lifefactory glass water bottle and love it! There is no metallic or plastic aftertaste. I'm not sure how it would work with toddlers though. My kids are used to being able to throw their sippy cups. (We currently use plastic). I am concerned about chemicals in plastics, even though I know cups are now BPA free.

I am afraid of buying a $16 cup and it breaking right away. I tried to look for reviews but can't find any online specific to the sippy cups.

2. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

neat!! I did aluminum ones, and yep, ours have several dents in them!! glass might also be fairly heavy too... I think ours are SIGG - made in switzerland. sigg aluminum ours is .3L which is about the same 9oz, I like that size, it's their small one and just the right size.

with that grip it seems that it would be fairly safe... though if you have tile floors I might be a bit more concerned...

3. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I honestly would have not ever even thought of a glass sippie for my girls. I hardly even let them use a glass now for fear that it may fall off the table and break. It's a treat for them to get "adult" cups. As many times as they dropped sippies on the kitchen floor when they were toddlers, glass would have been a nightmare. The thought of one shattering and then my girls walking in the mess would terrify me. I agree with pp on siggs. They are awesome and a nice alternative if you want to stay away from plastic.

4. happychck

happychck Well-Known Member

we also use siggs (as i do i--i have like 5!), but the boys have been known to use them as weapons more than once.... i hear you on avoiding plastic, though. i'd LOVE to find toddler plates that aren't plastic but that can also store food in them. for the same reasons!

gl, jl

5. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

A little off topic but since other mentioned it... around Christmas time when ours were 2 yr 9 mo I decided to get rid of most of the plastics that they eat off of...

I bought some small sturdy glasses for the kids, and they drink really nicely from them at the table. I keep reminding them 2 hands on the glasses when you drink. I also bought some random ceramic plates that go nicely with our regular plate set for them. I should have bought 5 or 6 so that we'd still have 4 when one broke... but it works. Then for bowls I bought cereal bowls that are Corelle. Again, I only got 4, but they are pretty durable, I dropped one from 2 ft off the tile floor yesterday and it landed upside down and was perfect!

anyway, I try to give the kids the water at the table and have the glasses available all day, letting them only drink at the table but sometimes I slip back to the easy sippy cups. I think they can learn to come to the table when they are thirsty though...

Oh and for lunch, I do still have a set of melamine plates, but we don't typically have anything hot at lunch so I'm not so worried about the plastics leaching into their food...

I looked at getting some metal or bamboo plates but they are pretty pricey...

good luck!