Goddard School

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by annlubbers, Nov 14, 2008.

1. annlubbers

annlubbers Well-Known Member

Has anyone sent their kid or any information on the Goddard School?

I am thinking of sending our boys there.

Thanks everyone!

2. carmenandwhittsmom

carmenandwhittsmom Well-Known Member

I pulled mine from the Goddard School in Rockville, MD. You can PM me if you want the gory details. Please know that they are privately-owned so the issues that I had may not exist at yours.

3. TwoBits

TwoBits Member

Hi there,
    One of my good friends has her two daughters there. One is 5 months and the other just turned 3. She loves it. Her sister works there as a teacher so it is nice that she has that extra hand in the pot too. I know it is ultra expensive but my friend seems to think that it is well worth it. She is at the one located in Chantilly, VA.

4. thetaphi_62

thetaphi_62 Well-Known Member

The ones located in Southern PA are reputable as well. As pp mentioned, they are all individually operated and just buy the Goddard Curriculum.

5. Sue1968

Sue1968 Well-Known Member

My boys are in their 3rd year at a Goddard School and it has worked out very well for us. The preschool teachers for ages 2+ are required to have a 4-year degree and they work hard to prepare an age-appropriate curriculum for each level. I don't know much about their day care for kids under two but like a pp said, each school is privately operated so it might be different. They are required to meet high standards set by the home office (in PA) and I believe they are regularly inspected to ensure those standards. Of course the preschool programs are NAEYC accredited and they are also inspected regularly by that group.

I have two complaints, though. The teacher student ratio for ages 3 and up jumps to 10:1 (20 students with 2 teachers) which makes the class seem big and crowded to me but the teachers do a good job of breaking them up into smaller groups to work at different activity centers. My other complaint is the price and even with the small sibling discount (10% off the second kid) the double cost of twins really bites.

6. Jennie-OH

Jennie-OH Well-Known Member

I've looked at Goddard twice. If money wasn't an issue - I would choose Goddard. But it is. Additionally, our Goddard does not serve lunch or breakfast. You have to pack that for the kids. It would have cost me $1k MORE per month to send my three there vs the girls' previous daycare and vs the cost of the nanny and they weren't even going to feed them?? That was another negative for me. The ratios at ours are lower than the state recommended so while I don't agree with them, they are better than many of their competitors.

7. JennaPa

JennaPa Well-Known Member

My oldest DD "graduated" from Goddard last year. She was there from the time she was 4 months old. She is much further ahead of her 1st grade classmates in school. Their ciriculum (sp) is great and their standards across the board are high. We had a nanny for the twins for the 1st 17 months but always intended for our girls to go to Goddard as well. They made a very smooth transition and are doing great. Goddard is a franchise so you may find some differences in style but the core learning and standards are the same. It is expensive but I truely believe you get what you pay for. The biggest neg for me is packing lunch. I can live with that.