going longer?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by pretty girl, Feb 23, 2015.

1. pretty girl

pretty girl Well-Known Member

So I had my 3 year old 9 days over due and I've had multiple Obs tell me I have a good chance of going to 38 weeks or more. Has anyone else had that? 

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It's pretty rare for women in North America to go past 38 weeks with di-di twins (usually earlier with mono-di twins) because OBs routinely recommend induction at that point. That being said, I know many twin moms who either had a care provider who didn't routinely recommend induction, or chose to decline the induction after discussing the risks and benefits of their options with their care provider, who carried to 40+ weeks. It's definitely possible.

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I had my twins at 38 weeks, they probably could have gone longer in there.  Since baby A was breech, I had to have a c-section.  
    The day of my c-section, I was barely having contractions.  My mom was looking at the machine and actually said, "Oh you hit a 10 (out of 100, I think)"  I was fortunate, I had a very healthy pregnancy other then the normal stuff-swelling, tiredness, sciatica and the children were fine being born at 38 weeks but I really do think they could have went 40.

4. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I was almost 38 weeks when my water broke. Honestly, I think it was a freak thing rather than a sign they were ready to be born because I never dilated or had contractions. Had my water not broken, I would have had a scheduled induction at 38 weeks.

5. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

I had mine at 37 weeks because the u/s revealed I was running out of space for my amnions (I am very short, and they were both already over 6.5 lbs). My cervix was long and I was nowhere near labor--given its own choice my body definitely would have gone past 38 weeks.

6. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I had preterm labor starting at 31 weeks, and put on bedrest...I was taken off my medications at 35 weeks and then scheduled a delivery-they did break my water for me and gave a little pitocin to get things going-I had already had steroid shots to help develop their lungs and my OB felt it was the right time to deliver.  So I only went to 35.5 weeks. 
    I think it's pretty typical for multiple deliveries to occur before or up to 38 weeks. 
    I dont know the pros/cons of carrying after 38 weeks.

7. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

I had my twins with scheduled C-Section at 37 weeks 5 days - both babies were breech. It was the Friday before Labor Day and I was teasing my OB that he wanted my C-Section that Friday so I don't ruin his long Labor Day weekend by going into Labor. I didn't have any contractions or any other signs of labor - I think I could have made it longer but I went with the OB's advise - I was HUGE anyway and the kids were fine - they came home with me 3 nights later.

I hope you can make it as close to term as possible.

8. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

Mine were born at 39+4. I had PTL from 20 weeks on and was on bedrest until 37+0. After that I had regular contractions but not enough to actually start the birth, so I was induced. My doctor was relaxed with going past 38 weeks, but not with going past the due date.

9. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I was induced with my twins at 40 weeks.  I was showing no signs of going into labor at all.   With one of my singletons,  I was induced at 11 days past my due date with no signs of going into labor and my daughter I actually went into labor on my own at 10 days past my due date.   I'm just a freak of nature. :) 

10. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

I had my oldest the day after her due date. I went into labor on my own with the twins at 39 weeks 1 day. So I did go past the 38 week mark but they definitely came earlier than my singleton.