Going out is starting to suck

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Fran27, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

My kids were awesome when we went out until about 3 weeks ago... now, it's a nightmare and I honestly dread it :(

First DD takes 30 minutes to pick her clothes and yells at me if I pick something for her brother that she doesn't like. Then she has a tantrum because she doesn't want the shoes I picked (she only has two pairs, mind you), then another because we're not going to the backyard... then it's a pain to put both in their car seat (they both scream and struggle).

Then we get to the store, if I open the truck to get the stroller out they both yell 'no' and refuse to get out of their seat, yelling 'no stop' (they're not talking much yet but they have those words alright...). Then another struggle to put them in the stroller. If we go to a grocery store that has those little cars, they don't want to get into THAT one, then they end up fighting, then one wants to get out, then they have a meltdown when I put them in the top part (we had to leave the grocery store after 5 minutes on Saturday).

Then we go back to the car and they refuse to go in their car seat.

Joy. I guess I'm lucky because they've been so good until now, but the other day I decided to shell out $20 to go to the local indoor 'playground' thing for them, and they were awful and screaming from the time I took the shoes out to the time we got to the front door - WHY do I bother???

Seriously, I dread going out now to do anything, and staying inside is awful too because DD is so bossy (tantrum if I sit in the computer chair, tantrum if I take my book out, I swear everything I do, I get yelled at, so they end up watching way too much tv because it's the only time when I can breathe)... it's been raining or super hot for weeks now so we can't really go in the backyard either, and when we do, every single time one ends up wanting to go back in after 30 minutes, and the other one refuses to, and it's tantrums again.

Arrrrgh.

2. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

I can totally relate to what you are saying. A month or so before they hit 2 1/2 they were doing the same things you described, but the good thing is that for us it has only lasted about 2 months. My boys are almost 32 months and it has gotten better.

My one son would have a complete meltdown if I tried to put him in the shopping cart seat. He would throw a tantrum the entire trip. :aggressive: He would kick and scream as I would wrestle him in the seat. I would offer snacks, water ect. and nothing I did worked. I would ignore him and shop as fast as I could. For awhile as soon as we pulled into the parking lot and got out of the car he would fall to the ground and not walk because he "knew" I would be putting him in the cart.

All I can say is :youcandoit: and it will get better.

3. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

Our dd's would be the best of friends :laughing: My boys are awesome going out, they love it. My dd is so bossy and wants what she wants when she wants it. :headbang:
    My only advice is to keep going out. They will get past this and realized that their behavior doesn't change anything! Also make sure to really praise them when they do something without trouble. We have special treats in the car--like raisins and that helps get them into the car.
    Good luck!

4. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

so sorry! you mentioned hot & rainy, sounds like Florida! anyway, I just finally pulled our outdoor plastic climber/slide thing inside the house. What a blessing! they never even paid much attention to it outside b/c we have a big slide. But now they can run around and slide and take turns, its a lot of fun and so cool with the a/c on instead of the heat.

so sorry for the tantrums! I totally see that happening with me over the clothes and shoes - ugh! it just started and now I try to have it all picked out ahead, but like you said they know what they want to wear ... ugh!

5. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

I understand it is not fun. We started using Love and Logic when mine were going through that stage and it really helped us. The reason that I think it really helps at 2 is that it has you let children make lots of choices within boundaries and decide lots of things but then when it is a more important decision then they don't get a choice. It worked wonders for my 2 yr olds. You could buy a book or just check it out from the library like I did.

6. StaceeyL

StaceeyL Well-Known Member

My girls are horrible at restaurants. I've tried taking special toys, books, etc, but they hate sitting there and waiting. I guess they aren't patient yet.

I remember when my oldest son was about 3(he's 13 now) I didn't take him anywhere but the church nursery for about 8 months. He was awful, but they do get better...well at least he did. Hang in there... :youcandoit: