Going out

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Debbiemichelle, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Debbiemichelle

Debbiemichelle Well-Known Member

We haven't gone out too much, and I can't quite figure out the logistics of managing two five month olds on a trip, say, to the library or grocery store. I'd love to hear about your systems for going places! Thanks!

2. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

Funny, when i read your post i thought.. well, of course we went out all the time. THEN i realized i responded to a post, when my kids were right around this age, lamenting the difficulties of getting out of the house..
    http://www.twinstuff.com/forum/index.php?/topic/178903-do-you-get-out-with-the-twins

The bad news is it is hard at this age. The good news, give it a few months and you won't remember how hard it was.. lol.

Logistics are tricky and even with the best laid plan don't always work. There were many days were it i abandoned the outing before it began b/c naps got crazy.
    the following are things you can do to make it smoother.. the rest is up to fate.
    - dress both kids before they go down for their naps
    - pack everything in car while LOs sleep
    - always, travel with a carrier in case one child needs to be held.
    - expect to go with the flow
    - accept that you will feel like a pack horse

At this age, i think i usually carried one in the baby bjorn and the other stayed in the car seat which i put in the grocery basket. I never did the library.. I was afraid we'd be too loud but i did go to my local used book store. For that trip I put them in the stroller but still brought the carrier.

It is a big effort to get out but it was worth it to feel less trapped.
    It will get easier!.. because you will get better at it, but mostly because as they get older they will become mobile and begin to enjoy being out.

Edited for typo.

3. efaith

efaith Well-Known Member

I know you asked for systems but I have to say start small and you will get more confident as you do it more. Unless you live a long way from anywhere it doesn't need to be a big mission every time,I just made sure I had a fresh nappy and change of clothes for each baby for dire emergencies, I breastfeed so didn't need to take formula for any just in case feeds, I found it was easiest to go after a feed and before a nap so they would sleep if not in the car in the stroller once we were out. I didn't use the carseats but unloaded them into the buggy to make it easier for me to push. I also always take a carrier of some sort, sling usually because I can feed them in it. Worst comes to worst they will cry and you will get sympathetic looks form strangers and they'll all think things like 'wow, look how hard it is for her and she still gets out to do stuff!' Don't overthink it, once you've done it a few times it really will be no big deal. If you go out without something vital you'll know better for next time!!

1 person likes this.
  4. lcjackman

lcjackman Well-Known Member

I have to leave the house fairly regularly or I start to feel crazy so figuring out a way to get out with the twins was a must! I always leave right after a feeding and plan to be back before they need to eat again if I'm by myself. That gives me about a 2-3 hour window to shop or whatever. Mine are ebf and although I'm sure i could do it, I haven't breastfed in public yet. Bottles of pumped milk work though and I've done that before with help! I keep the diaper bag stocked with extra clothes, diapers and wipes and just replace things if I've had to use them once I get home. For me the more successful trips out I've had, the braver I get!

5. jdorourk

jdorourk Well-Known Member

Once my twins were around 7 mos and finally were on a good/somewhat predictable three nap schedule I started going out daily, mainly for my sanity! I always went right after they took a nap. My were EBF and I either nursed right after they got up or right before their nap so they wouldn't be hungry. I had the diaper bag all ready and had them all dressed before their nap. I live 10 min from grocery, target, etc. I mostly shopped at places with double carts - target, grocery, costco. If there wasn't a double cart I brought my double stroller and hung bags from it and put my shopping items in there.

I had a post just like you around 5-6 mos asking if I would ever get out of the house again... and yes I did and now we go out all the time. Do a small easy trip first, like say just go to a nearby fast food and pick something up in the drive thru - that is how i started. I eventually got really good at going out with them by myself and went all kinds of places (I was on maternity leave for 9.5 mos).

Good luck!

6. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

Ours are 7 months and we are starting to go out more. Just do what you have to. Ignore the states and dumb questions, and have fun!