Going rate for mothers helper?

Discussion in 'General' started by megkc03, Apr 20, 2014.

1. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

So tonight I found out a cousin(distant), is getting her babysitting certificate this week. She made sure I knew. ;) My kids love her, especially Annabella. What would one pay her? Now, my trio are 4 1/2 and 6 and 6. Essentially, I'd be hiring her to play with my kids(we are moving and I do side cookie business).

There would be no meal prepping(I'd do it), traveling, bed times, etc. Simply entertainment(and they'd run her ragged).

What would one pay??

I stink at this sort of thing!

2. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Will you be home?

3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We've recently looked into hiring a friend's 14 year old son for babysitting all 3 kids and initially I was going to pay him $15/hr (which is what we've always paid) but she asked that we not pay over $8/hr which is the rate they've decided together is what he should request. They've discussed with him that if he does above and beyond the care requested (ie after the kids are in bed and he chose to do the dishes/tidy the kitchen) and we tipped him that would be fine. Her goal is to teach him that you have to work hard to earn good money and I can respect that. :)

1 person likes this.
  4. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

That kid is going to have a very full babysitting schedule!

The young teenagers in our area charge around $10-$12/hr, depending on their experience level. I agree that having a conversation with her parents is a good idea too; keeps everyone on the same page.

5. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

If you're home, I'd probably pay her $5-7/hour.  I think that's a reasonable amount to be essentially a responsible playmate.  If she was old enough to work and make minimum wage, she'd only take home about $7-8/hour after taxes.  

But I'm one of those that doesn't think teenage babysitters need to make an arm and a leg (even my own).  My 13 year old nephew was whining about babysitting his nephews on the other side of his family.  He was there 5 hours and made $35.  That's $7/hour and he got paid to watch TV for 3 of the hours while the boys were asleep.  Wah.

On another note, I think it's great your cookie business is taking off!

6. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I will be home, yes. She's only 11 too. I'd pay a babysitter(as in, we aren't home, more responsibilities) more $$. But I think prob $5-$7/hr is good starting point.

Thanks ladies!

And thanks Dielle on the cookies! :)

7. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would do this range if I were home and there were no expectations, other than a professional playtime.