Going Rate for the Tooth Fairy?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Tivanni, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Tivanni

Tivanni Well-Known Member

We were told 4 months ago that one of my daughters has a loose tooth...it is still about the same. The other one has no loose teeth. If I recall correctly usually the first couple teeth are lost in Kindergarten...

So we should have the tooth Fairy visiting soon! I remember getting a quarter or $.50 but when I was teaching Kindergarten, students would tell me they received anywhere between $1 and $5! My sister had a cute suggestion of giving a dollar coin...something different.

I was just curious what your "Tooth Fairies" rate is? Did you have your child write a note or picture? Did you take their teeth or let them save it?

2. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

We do $1 per tooth.

3. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Nolan lost his first tooth last month. The tooth fairy left him 3 one dollar bills. He gave one to each of his siblings and kept one for himself. (Which the tooth fairy kind of knew he would do. :) )

4. Juj

Juj Well-Known Member

$1 per tooth here also. $2 if it is a front tooth which is also shared.

Oh and the Tooth Fairy only comes for Michael. Katherine wants NOTHING to do with the Tooth Fairy!

5. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We will do $1 for subsequent teeth, only the first got $3.

6. Debb-i

Debb-i Well-Known Member

$5 first tooth, $1 the rest. There was one stretch last year in K when the tooth fairy came to our house 6 seperate times in a two week span. It's a twin thing :)

Like the $1 coin idea and have thought about it..but never seem to be prepared for it. Sometimes the boys want the tooth fairy to leave their tooth behind. They write her a note on those occasions and place under the pillow with their tooth.

7. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

DH decided that each boy gets 5 $1 coins per tooth. The funny thing is the boys can't wait to trade them in for "real dollars".

8. Becky02

Becky02 Well-Known Member

Our girls get either a dollar, a dollar store item (yes they do pick it out), or a $3 or under book. It depends on what we have or are doing (if we are going out and they loose a tooth that day and ask for something then we will get it and put it under the pillow and take the tooth or a picture of the tooth if the swallowed the tooth). Our girls do know that we are the tooth fairy but they still enjoy looking under their pillow in the morning to see their surprise or no surprise if we forgot to do it while they slept.

9. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

Out of guilt, the tooth fairy was a little over the top for the first two teeth (i was on travel and wanted to be there for him losing the first one and missed it by 1day). For the first, son received $5 plus a hotwheels stunt car set (he loves them). For the second he only got $5. I informed him that subsequent teeth are less and we plan on doing $1 a tooth.

10. Stacy A.

Stacy A. Well-Known Member

It is SUPPOSED to be $1/tooth around here. But, when Daddy is the tooth fairy...

DS has lost two teeth. For the first one, DH went out that night with some friends and was supposed to get some cash. When he came back that night I was asleep and he told me that all he had was a $10 bill, could he just give that to him? Well, still half-asleep, I said yes. So, without any further thought, DH happily went and put it under his pillow. :shok: We made sure they both knew that it was a special first-tooth deal and that he would not get that much the next time.

When he lost the second tooth I told DH to put a dollar under his pillow before he came to bed and he forgot. He felt so guilty that he gave him $2 the next night. Once again, I had to explain that the tooth fairy felt bad about forgetting and that is why he got $2, but he would only get $1 next time. We'll see what happens!

As far as what we do with the teeth - I have them hidden away. That way they can have them if they want them when they are older.

11. mommyto3girls

mommyto3girls Well-Known Member

For the first tooth, 5 gold dollars. 1 gold dollar after that. I try to keep gold dollars on hand. One time my mom had the girls at Disney World and one of them lost a tooth. The tooth fairy brought her a Disney dollar instead.

12. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We did $2 for the first tooth and $1 for every tooth after that.

13. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

same here

Julie, that is very funny! [​IMG]

14. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

Our tooth fairy brings books. When my oldest was losing her first, we wrote the tooth fairy a letter and asked if she wouldn't mind. But I like Kendra's explanation that there are actually lots of different tooth fairies and they get to choose what they bring... which helps explain why different families get different amounts. I LOVE the book thing for us. My kids devour books they might not even pick up otherwise. The TF picks these up in the clearance section of Borders, Barnes and Noble, or when Scholastic has a big sale. The kids have gotten cookbooks, biographies, how-to books, sticker books, story books, art books, you name it.

If you don't want to go the book route, I think the idea of always getting a $1 "gold" coin is fun.

15. debid

debid Well-Known Member

My kids got the impression from Super Why that the tooth fairy brings lollipops. I haven't decided yet what we'll do but I'm enjoying the ideas!

16. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

That's funny! Since our toothfairy greatly prefers teeth without cavities, lollipops seem like something she'd steer clear of.

17. BellaRissa

BellaRissa Well-Known Member

The tooth fairy at our house is a HUGE deal. Money doesn't mean anything to my girls....so the tooth fairy brings a toy, wrapped in white paper with silver teeth drawn on it - each girl gets a toy under her bed regardless of who lost the tooth. Each girl gets a letter from the fairy. The girl who lost the tooth gets three Sacagewea coins - or Monroe dollars - edges rolled in glue & glitter...one to save, one to donate ,one to spend. The tooth fairy leaves glitter footprints on the window sill & fairy dust around the beds. The tooth fairy gives a kiss & leaves lip prints on each girls' cheek. The girls LOVE the tooth fairy!

1 person likes this.
  18. Tivanni

Love reading all the stories...cute idea to have them write a note.

I think I will have some gold $1's on hand...
    @Moski...your son is so sweet!!

I enjoyed reading all the posts!

19. kumphort

kumphort Well-Known Member

FYI: for those, like myself with no creativity at the last minute, google, tooth fairy notes, there are lots of ideas of what to write, templates that you can personalize etc.

1 person likes this.
  20. Chrissy Nelson

Chrissy Nelson Well-Known Member

$5 first tooth $1 every tooth after that.

21. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

Same for us. And the tooth fairy takes the teeth.

22. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

$10 first tooth, then we went to $1. Funny, this is mentioned, because yesterday Brooke lost a tooth, and DH told me $1 was not enough, so he said $5 from now on. I wish I got that as a kid!!

23. PumpkinPies

PumpkinPies Well-Known Member

Our girls get a $1 coin. When they both had one very stubborn loose tooth each, I got a roll at the bank. I gave them a note saying we were helping out the TF, just so the teller wouldn't ask any questions.

Our funny TF story: Rosalie lost a tooth and lost her favorite baby doll on the same weekend. She left a note asking if she could keep that tooth, and then the next day when she discovered Blue Baby was missing, she was convinced the TF had taken the doll in place of the tooth. It was a little funny but also taumatic. I was very relieved to find the doll or I might have never again gotten Rosalie to wiggle a tooth.

24. Tivanni

$5.00 as a kid would have seemed like a fortune...oh did I just age myself. lol

Oh that is funny but I am glad you found it!!! The tooth fairy would not have been very popular in your household!

25. christy.fisher

christy.fisher Well-Known Member

You passed a note to the bank teller?? :laughing: You're brave!

26. Tivanni

lol...didn't cross my mind until I read this!!