Going to the beach

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by atinar, Jun 26, 2010.

1. atinar

atinar Well-Known Member

Hi,

We plan to take our kids to the beach for the first time soon, and I am not sure what special recommendations to follow.

How much time should I let them stay there for the first time?

What kind of food I give them while at the beach?

Also, I plan to give them their shower when we're back home. Is it ok to leave them with salty water for like 2 hours.

Any tips or advice are highly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If you have a beach umbrella that they can sit under for some of the time, you can have them there for a couple of hours. My two are 2 and we just got back from the beach. Our longest day at the beach was 3.5 hours. They were starting to get hot and tired, so we took them home. I would say how long you stay at the beach would depend on your kids/the weather (too hot/too cold?)/other adults with you (i.e. my mother is sun sensitive and that was another factor as to how long we stayed on the beach)
    As for food we did cut up sandwiches/ cut up fruit/grapes and Go-gurts...we took food that was easily portable.
    My two never stayed in the ocean for two hours straight...they liked to go in and be there for a while and then come out and play in the sand. I would think your two might be okay if they stayed in the water that long but I would make sure to keep reapplying sunscreen.
    Good luck! My kids had a blast at the beach and I hope yours do too!

3. Juj

Juj Well-Known Member

Bring some baby powder! Sprinkle baby powder over sandy, wet kids and then brush away the sand.

4. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

The first time we went to the beach it felt like we brought everything! :laughing: But honestly we just followed their cues, when they got too hot we went in and when they wanted to play in the water, we played in the water. I agree with Nancy about the portable snacks and with Julie about the baby powder! Have fun!!