Good Alternative to Yo Baby Yogurt?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by marleigh, May 15, 2010.

1. marleigh

marleigh Well-Known Member

YoBaby Yogurt is so expensive (even with coupons)...just wondering if any other Momma's have discovered a good alternative brand that might be similar to it?

Thanks!

2. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

It also has a lot of sugar in it. By the time the twins came along I didn't care and gave it to them! lol But with my oldest I just bought plain unflavored yogurt and mixed in baby food fruits.

3. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

I buy the large stoneyfield "Cream on top" yogurts. It is whole milk yogurt. I buy french vanilla. I give that to them with cereal and some fruit. 1 tub lasts a week and it is $3.69 for a tub. Often you can go to stoneyfield.com and get a coupon.

4. lovelylily

lovelylily Well-Known Member

I second Stoneyfield. There is also a wonderful recipe for homemade yogurt in your crockpot here

5. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I just used the plain dannon yogurt, and mixed in the fruit/cereal mix with it when they were younger. Now that they are older, I use the yoplait flavored yogurts. None of my kids like any fruit chunks so any of those are out. I figure the bit of sugar they are getting gets balanced by the benefits of yogurt! :p

6. dowlinal

dowlinal Well-Known Member

I make my own and sweeten it with apple or pear butter.

7. zetta

zetta Well-Known Member

Trader Joes has some very good yogurt that has a rich creamy taste (I dislike the flavor of yogurt that has xanthum gum) -- we like the banana & cream and "vanana" flavors.

8. MeredithMM

MeredithMM Well-Known Member

I agree with the Stoneyfield recommendations. It's organic and cheap. My boys like just the plain yogurt, although we sometimes mix fruit with it too.

9. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I have used plain, whole milk yogurt & mixed in fruit or applesauce. I have also bought just about any other type of yogurt for them as long as it's full fat & doesn't contain artificial sweeteners, I try to avoid those.

10. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

We use plain Stoneyfield Farms yogurt. My kids love it!

11. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

Make your own.

With whole milk, the yogurt is thick and creamy. I now use skim milk, so I add 3/4 cup powdered milk so that the yogurt is thicker. My simple recipe is:

1/2 gallon skim milk
    3/4 cup powdered milk
    1 tablespoon vanilla
    4 tablespoons honey

Combine all ingredients in the crockpot. Heat on low 2.5 hours. Turn off and let cool (with cover still own) for 3 hours. Whisk in 1/2 cup yogurt with active cultures (I don't go through the step from the web site of scooping out milk, adding in the yogurt, and then putting it back.) Replace cover. Wrap whole thing in beach towel and let sit overnight (at least 8 hours). A batch will fir perfectly in two of these large containers. I just make a batch on Saturday or Sunday evenings. It takes about 2 minutes to prepare all the ingredients.

12. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

How long does a batch last you guys?