Grinding Teeth

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Lydia, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Lydia

Lydia Well-Known Member

Yesterday I noticed my son grinds his teeth. He has his bottom four front teeth and has his two upper eye teeth. It looks hilarious but I wasn't concerned until I heard the grinding. I am wondering if someone has experience with this or what you think I should do?

2. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't think there is anything you can do. I think a lot of babies do that once they realize they can! Mine used to grind their teeth all the time and the sound was like nails on a chalkboard! It drove me crazy! They stopped as quickly as they started though. I think it's just a phase.

3. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

It's a texture thing. They have teeth and that is one way of 'playing' with them and expiramenting. The more you mention it, the more they will do it. It is generally a phase that will disappear. It isn't harming them at all. They are just learning what their teeth are. HTH!

4. slr814

slr814 Well-Known Member

My oldest did this constantly! It drove me crazy, and I thought she was going to wear her very tiny teeth away, but eventually she stopped doing it.

5. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't think there's anything you can do about it at this age & he will most probably outgrow it. One of my kids (don't remember which) was always grinding their teeth & I still cringe to think of that sound!!

6. becky5

becky5 Guest

He's just checking out his new chompers! Totally normal.

7. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

My son actually grinded his teeth so loud it would wake me up, but it never damaged his teeth, just sounded awful. My girls also grinded their teeth during the night when they were cutting, but it stopped once all of their teeth came in. It sounds terrible, but I have taken them to the dentist and there hasn't been any damage from it. I think for the most part, it just sounds horrible. They all eventually quit on their own.

8. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

My boys did this too and it drove me crazy! Like Aimee said, it's like fingernails on the chalkboard! It was just a phase though and I just ignored it (while silently getting goosebumps).