Grocery stores with double carts?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Fran27, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I'm wondering what grocery stores chains you know that have double carts?

Where I live the only one I've seen that has them is Genuardi's. Even Target doesn't. We're moving next week and I'm worried I won't be able to find one.

2. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

I'm in Illinois and the only places I've seen double carts are Aldi's, Costco and Sam's Club.

It would be so much easier if more stores had them. Right now I push the sbs and pull the cart; which always gets a lot of looks.

3. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

Wegman's may have them, but I'm not sure. I haven't lived in NJ since I had kids and noticed that kind of thing. I was always a basket person back then! :)

4. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

what do you mean by double carts? is it two carts? or just that the front part has 4 leg holes for 2 babies?? I've only seen the big carts with 4 leg holes at Costco here in FL.

if its for the babies... I just let them put their middle leg through a leg hole, and then they have to sit cross legged with the other...

5. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I know Shop Rite (not sure if they are in NJ or not) has double carts (they look like police cars). I have not seen other grocery stores with any in this area.

6. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(itsnancycozzi @ Jun 14 2009, 04:19 PM) [snapback]1353982[/snapback]
    I know Shop Rite (not sure if they are in NJ or not) has double carts (they look like police cars). I have not seen other grocery stores with any in this area.

Oh SWEET! There is one 10 minutes away from where we've moving. Now to hope that one will have them too. It's what they have at Genuardi's here (Safeway). A pain to move but so much better than having to deal with the regular stroller (which doesn't even fit through the cashier lanes in most places).

Thanks for the replies!

7. eatcelery

eatcelery Well-Known Member

Tonight we were at Lowe's and could not put the kids in the basket so I put both kids in the one kid seat after much sanitization of the cart. I sort of overlapped their legs and they were just fine and happy. I have my own little seatbelts for each to hold them in. Normally though I use the eddie bauer folding booster seats and put them in the bottom of the shopping cart. I use the baby part to keep the eggs, meats, cold cuts that I don't want them to touch. They love sitting in the bottom of the cart.

8. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm worried about doing that because mine really wiggle a ton in the carts :(

9. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Shoprite has 2 different types of carts, both of which hold 2 kids.

10. jdio33

jdio33 Well-Known Member

Our wegmans has 1 cart that is a "car" and has 2 seats. The thing is really a bus and I can hardly push or stop the thing and almost hit about 10 people. The boys didnt really like it for some reason so we ended up switching to 2 carts after 15 minutes.
    Our wal mart has 1 cart that has 2 seats, but they are lower to the ground and the boys would be trying to stand up and get out so I haven't used that one yet. Not that I ever could b/c it's very hard to track down!
    If I'm alone I use our sbs stroller and pull a cart.
    Hopefully you have more luck!

11. 2plusbgtwins

2plusbgtwins Well-Known Member

I live in VA and Im not familiar with any of the stores mentioned, so Im doubting you have the stores we have. . . but

Food Lion has the carts that have double seats in the cart where the handle is, and they also have the car attatched to the front which also holds two children (this is perfect for me, since I have 4 kids)

Also, Wal Mart has those carts with two seats but they arent suitable for small babies/toddlers.

12. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone, I know what to look for now!

And yes, I meant the carts that have room for two kids at the handle, like BJ's etc. Most also have those big cars on the front but oh well, it's still better than having to take the stroller.

13. caba

caba Banned

QUOTE(Fran27 @ Jun 15 2009, 09:26 AM) [snapback]1354665[/snapback]
    Thanks everyone, I know what to look for now!

And yes, I meant the carts that have room for two kids at the handle, like BJ's etc. Most also have those big cars on the front but oh well, it's still better than having to take the stroller.

Hmm ... where in NJ? Our Costco has them ... but I don't think either Shoprite or Wegman's by me has the room for 2 kids in the front ... they both have the carts with the car in the front of them where two kids can sit (which my kids LOVE!) ... but it sure is a bus to get around the supermarket!

14. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Near Princeton... I guess the first thing I'll do when I have some free time is drive around to check, lol.

15. caba

caba Banned

QUOTE(Fran27 @ Jun 15 2009, 09:56 AM) [snapback]1354719[/snapback]
    Near Princeton... I guess the first thing I'll do when I have some free time is drive around to check, lol.

Cool! You won't be too far from me ... I'm in the Somerville area ... but probably too far to go to my supermarket ... ;)

16. eatcelery

eatcelery Well-Known Member

QUOTE(caba @ Jun 15 2009, 09:38 AM) [snapback]1354681[/snapback]
    ... they both have the carts with the car in the front of them where two kids can sit (which my kids LOVE!) ...

I was at BJ's one day watching a kid dig out his nose and wipe it all over the steering wheel of the car cart while the mother was in oblivion. Most disgusting thing I ever saw and I really never want my kids in there unless I lysol wipe the whole thing down.

17. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Yeah my views is that it just builds their immune system, lol. But yeah I'm not too fond of the cars themselves for some reason.

18. eewelks

eewelks Well-Known Member

Wegman's works for me. I have to use that horrible race car cart though! I put my three year old and one twin in the front of the race car together. There is room for two kids there.

Then, I put the other twin in the front of the cart where one child normally goes. The part that stinks is that I have to carry my 16 month old twins inside the store with my three year old hanging onto my pant leg. Sometimes the race car cart is in the parking lot, but usually it's not. Wegman's also has hygienic cart wipe dispensers in the front of the store.
    I always grocery shop with all three.
    Hope that helps -- I live in Western New York, but I believe that NJ has Wegmans too.

19. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Yup there is one there also, close to the other one. I'll check that out too :D

20. cottoncandysky

cottoncandysky Well-Known Member

didnt read other replies sorry i this is a repeat lol. do they have price chopper there? or if theres a super walmart right next to sam's club you can park in between the 2 stores and grab a sam's club cart. i asked and they dont mind as long as it's put back on that general side somewhere.