Growth slowing down

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by TrishaLinn, Apr 21, 2011.

1. TrishaLinn

TrishaLinn Well-Known Member

Hey everyone, had a 31 week growth scan and doctors appointment. Babies aren't growing as well as I had hoped. They've dropped from the 42nd percentile (which is about what they've been during almost every ultrasound this pregnancy) down to the 9th and 10th percentile. They're measuring in at 3lb1oz and 3lb3oz. The doctor said she isn't going to worry too much yet since I have had two small, but very healthy pre-term babies already. She does want to start seeing me weekly now though and have weekly NST's to make sure the babies aren't in distress. Any thoughts/experiences with babies who slow down growing like this? is this normal?

Baby B has flipped to head down, but A is still breach! Arrrrgh! I wish A would get in position because this doctor will deliver them both vaginally as long as A is in the correct position. The doctor said that overall she is very pleased with how everything is going, considering my history of pre-term labor. She is happy I've made it almost to 32 weeks (thats her first goal for me) and said if I make it to 34 we won't even attempt to stop labor. Getting so close!

2. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

My boys slowed in growth at around 32 weeks, mostly William though who was baby B. Sounds like she is closely monitoring you though, which is good. You are almost done!

3. TrishaLinn

TrishaLinn Well-Known Member

It just seems like a big drop in growth when they've gone from being around the 40th percentile down to the 10 & 9 just in the last few weeks. My doctor seems like a smart lady though, so I suppose I should just trust her judgement!

4. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

I dont remember the percentage drop for William. I know that both boys were in the 50th percentile though until 32 weeks.

5. Henderson

Henderson Well-Known Member

at my 30 wk baby A was 49th and by 34 she was 20th and we are watching very closely plus she has lower fluid than B, but this week at 35 she was up to 25th :) so they were happy with that. I've been taken off work that prob helped and I've been trying to increase my protein intake! Since the last two weeks they gained about 2 lbs and I only gained half a lb! So I got some boost shakes, kashi cereal, nuts and cottage cheese! I guess try to make the most of what time they have left to bake and bulk those babies up :)

6. SaraSatin

SaraSatin Well-Known Member

It also could be your fluid levels or their positions. They consistently told me that Hope was growing at the same speed as Ariel but she ended up almost a pound and a half smaller. As long as they are growing at the same pace as each other then it sounds like things are fine. Just try upping your protein intake.

7. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

I also think the bigger the babies get the more cramped they are in there as twins, so the measurments are not as accurate as with a singleton. The measurements were off in our case as well. If your doctor is not worried, try not to stress over it and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy. I hope you can make it as long as possible - and I wish you to have healthy babies. Good luck!

8. Robynsegg

Robynsegg Well-Known Member

I'm not really sure because Olivia didn't drop in weigh until my 38 week u/s....but I did want to say, that your doctor is doing the right thing and she is giving you the right advise. Don't worry until she worries and at that point, you are going to be in good hands regardless! Its good that you are being monitored more closely and they will be able to see if things change immediately and attend to it. I'm sure everything will turn out beautifully.