Gymboree, My Gym, Little Gym, Kindermusik or Any Others

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Kyrstyn, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

I want to get my girls into one of these, now I just have to figure out which one. We are doing a class on Thursday and Gymboree, and one on Friday at My Gym. I would love to hear your stories/experiences with any of these. Did you try out more than one and decide on one over the other? My girls will be 10 months old this week, but are only 7 months adjusted. TIA!

2. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We did Music together and My gym. I loved the my gym I went to. The staff at the place was amazing. I live between 2 different my gyms and first contacted the other location and didn't like that they didn't answer my questions. When I contacted the My gym we went to, the owner called me and emailed me asking all my questions and giving me a warm feeling about the place. I love that I got the free play every week in addition to the class.

I had looked into Gymboree when my girls were probably 6 months old and was told that I had to bring one adult per baby. I really didn't have anyone who would go with me to a class during the week. So they were out.

If you do a Kindermusik or music together class, make sure you do a trial with the instruction you will have. Some are amazing some are not.

3. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

Of those I have only done Kindermusik. I had a really good experience with it and also a really bad experience with it. I would suggest taking the free class and testing it out before plopping the money down for it.

4. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I did the Kindermusik Sign and Sing class with my older DD when she was about 9 or 10 months. She loved it and learned quickly about signing. The teacher was awesome and just had a great time too!

5. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

We have done Kindermusik and My Gym. We love that our My Gym has 50% off for the 2nd twin, as well as letting us attend TWO classes per week (only for the youngest age group) and a free play session. So, 3 sessions per week are available to us! My boys love it. They rearrange the equipment each week, so it is like a whole new experience everytime. We started at 9 months and are still going. We've had kids as young as 5 months in our class & enjoying it.

I found Kindermusik a bit less exciting because it was very traditional and babyish... I didn't care too much for the "olde English" style nursery rhymes & songs. However, it was okay. We did that from 9-11 months.

6. bridgeport

bridgeport Well-Known Member

We've done one semester of Kindermusik (the baby class - Village), and we're starting our first semester of the toddler class next month. We love, love, love Kindermusik - BUT a big part of it is the wonderful teacher we have. We tried a trial class at Gymboree, and we could see that it might be a good program, but the teacher was so annoying! So you're doing the right thing trying them out. I think they're all probably good programs, and you just have to find the right fit for you.

7. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

I wanted to join Gymboree but the ones by me require one adult per child so that left me out. So I joined Mommy and Me. It was great. Definately a bit difficult and tricky to deal with the two of them at first but after a few weeks I got the hang of it. I have heard good things about MyGym and Kindermusic as well. Just check with them and make sure they don't have an adult/child ratio before you join.

8. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

I have never been to any of these because I admit I a scurd to take mine alone. {insert nail biting smiley}

9. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I did Gymboree with my oldest DD, at the time that was all that was out there. It was fun and she liked it. She was almost 2 at that point.

I did a My Gym class with Emilie and Trevor last spring and they LOVED it. I thought it was much better than Gymboree as well. My Gym also has a buy 1 get 1 half off discount for twins so that helps too. :) I am hoping to put them in another My Gym class this winter.

10. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

We have done the free classes for My Gym and The Little Gym. But honestly, I was not all that impressed, so we did not sign up for either one. For the price, I have been much happier doing mommy and me type classes through the local rec depts nearby. They are way cheaper, and just as much fun for the kids. The best part, I have met lots of great moms in my neighorhood that are now friends in doing these different classes. And I mean really, isn't that half the reason we do these classes anyways?! To talk to other adults!

11. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

I took my girls to a trial class at the Little Gym today and really enjoyed it. There was lots of soft climbing equipment and big open spaces to run. The teacher was great (this definately matters) and the other parents were laid back. Gymboree by me was much more uptight, and they have that silly rule about one parent with one child. I'm considering signing my girls up for Little Gym, but it seems a bit expensive. $300 for a 20 week "semester" for the first child, then $240 for the second. So that's $540 for 20 classes, or $25 a class for the two of them. And classes are only 45 minutes. At Gymboree, you can bring your kids more than once a week for the price, but Little Gym is just once a week. This seems expensive for what you get... but maybe I'm out of touch on prices.

12. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(idril @ Aug 5 2008, 02:24 PM) [snapback]915408[/snapback]
    This seems expensive for what you get... but maybe I'm out of touch on prices.

That's why we do city programs. They cost on average about $50 for an 8-10 week session. Seriously, when my kids were 11 mos old, do you think the noticed the difference between the fancy gym or the city gym? Heck no! They just wanted to suck on the bells and eat the big bouncy balls, not shake them and throw them!!! :D

BUT, disclaimer, we are lucky in that we have TONS of choices of programs where I live. I realize that for many, some of the children's gyms are the only things available!

13. ChristinaB

ChristinaB Well-Known Member

Personally, I don't think your little ones will get much out of anything until they're at least 3. It might be fun bonding time, but so is sitting on the couch looking at books, playing peek-a-boo, going to the park, or listening to music together.

Have you tried your local library? We have a storytime just for the 0-12 month crowd, as well as one for the 12 month to 2 years group. It's fun, and it's free.

14. Colette+2

Colette+2 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(ChristinaB @ Aug 5 2008, 09:38 PM) [snapback]915423[/snapback]
    Personally, I don't think your little ones will get much out of anything until they're at least 3. It might be fun bonding time, but so is sitting on the couch looking at books, playing peek-a-boo, going to the park, or listening to music together.

Have you tried your local library? We have a storytime just for the 0-12 month crowd, as well as one for the 12 month to 2 years group. It's fun, and it's free.

I agree that the library story time is a great idea. We are faithful attenders of ours. But I totally disagree with the first statement (I kindly and respectfully disagree I should say). We've done Little Gym and Kindermusik and I've seen great changes in my very shy kids. I think learning to listen to a teacher, being around other children and adults and being comfortable with different environments are awesome things for toddlers to be exposed to. Also my kids and I learn things to try at home and stretch their abilities beyond what I think they can do at this age. Plus it's sure fun for me to be around other adults from time to time... in a safe and toddler friendly place.

15. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(Colette+2 @ Aug 5 2008, 07:50 PM) [snapback]916038[/snapback]
    I agree that the library story time is a great idea. We are faithful attenders of ours. But I totally disagree with the first statement (I kindly and respectfully disagree I should say). We've done Little Gym and Kindermusik and I've seen great changes in my very shy kids. I think learning to listen to a teacher, being around other children and adults and being comfortable with different environments are awesome things for toddlers to be exposed to. Also my kids and I learn things to try at home and stretch their abilities beyond what I think they can do at this age. Plus it's sure fun for me to be around other adults from time to time... in a safe and toddler friendly place.

I agree with Colette about the value of these classes. Maybe for babies younger than 1, it's hard to say. But in the 5-6 weeks we have been going to Gymboree, I've noticed some subtle changes. I can't say for sure they understand everything, but I do think they are getting something out of it. What I like about our class is it's mostly play, they do some singing, but jake runs around most of the class (so it's like open gym).

To the overall question, I think it really depends on location. I like our Gymboree, it's convenient (in a mall Sunday at 9am, so parking is easy) and it's a huge space. But we are going to look into something different since our budget really only allows one of these activities. Also, for us, it's turned into a nice family activity.

keep us posted!

16. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

Been following this as we're planning to enroll in Gymnastics, Little Gym, or Gymboree once the weather turns sour. It seems there are some contradictory experiences regarding:

*twin discounts (many folks seemed to say they got a 50% twin discount at Little Gym, but another priced it out $540 for both that did not calculate to a 50% discount).
    *extra 'free play' classes were offered for several folks @ Little Gym, but someone else says they only got that at Gymboree?

I'm confused. Are these locations franchises, and that is why their policies vary? Anyone know? Am I just misunderstanding the offerings between LG & G?

17. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

QUOTE(SweetpeaG @ Aug 5 2008, 09:49 PM) [snapback]916223[/snapback]
    Been following this as we're planning to enroll in Gymnastics, Little Gym, or Gymboree once the weather turns sour. It seems there are some contradictory experiences regarding:

*twin discounts (many folks seemed to say they got a 50% twin discount at Little Gym, but another priced it out $540 for both that did not calculate to a 50% discount).
    *extra 'free play' classes were offered for several folks @ Little Gym, but someone else says they only got that at Gymboree?

I'm confused. Are these locations franchises, and that is why their policies vary? Anyone know? Am I just misunderstanding the offerings between LG & G?

I don't know if the prices vary by area but I called and Gymboree told me its was $79/Month for 1 class for 1 kid or $129/month for 1 class for 2 kids, but they also offer open Gym Monday thru Friday during certain hours. My Gym is $69/Month but you get 20% off the 2nd twin, which would make it about $125/month (Not sure if they do Open Gym or not). All of the programs I looked into offer a free trial though.

18. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I know that my gym is franchises. So that does affect the prices. Same as music together. In fact I did the music together about 10 minutes further from my house since it offered the 50% discount for the second child vs the closer one that was 10 dollars off and slighly more to begin with. A friend of mine did the closer place and she paid over 400 for 2 children and i paid 200.

19. christineinhk

christineinhk Well-Known Member

we have all of these in Hong Kong and we've tried them all and decided on "My Gym" our girls love it. We were on a waiting list for three months then got the Tuesday afternoon 4:30pm class, they are excited to go and run around. It brings out their daringness and they like trying new stuff there. We're going to continue doing it. So they started at 18months :) ANd I agree its safe and fun for them and no I wasn't looking for classes to meet other Mummys, I already have play dates and email support for that - my gym is specifically for my daughters to enjoy themselves :)

20. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(SweetpeaG @ Aug 6 2008, 12:49 AM) [snapback]916223[/snapback]

My Gym is the one that offers the 50% twin discount. When we went there we also were able to attend free play classes throughout the week. I believe they are also doing unlimited classes again, at least ours is here in the fall. They are franchises.

My Gym, you can put your location on for the specific website.

The Little Gym

Gymboree

21. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

QUOTE(SweetpeaG @ Aug 5 2008, 10:49 PM) [snapback]916223[/snapback]

They're all franchises (Gymboree, Little Gym, My Gym, Kindermusik). I don't know if this is universal, but The Little Gym by me offers a 30% discount on the second child in a family. So the first child is $300 for 20 weeks and the second is $240 = $540. They don't have free play classes for any age group at our location.

22. symercat

symercat Well-Known Member

I have been cringing at the price of putting my two in one of these programs. They are sooo tempting though. We have been doing local community center classes here, (also in the $50 price range as mentioned by someone previously). We are fortunate to have that.