Had to call poison control...

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Tripsmommy, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Tripsmommy

Tripsmommy Well-Known Member

OK...after a while, we think our kiddos just "know better". NOT! I was bathing our 70 lb lab and my son runs in proud as can be... "Mom! I took my tabs all by myself! No fussing!"... I'm thinking...tabs? your claritin tabs? YUP! But it is a max of ONE in 24 hr period! He stopped at 2, so I called the pedi's office and they deferred to poison ctrl. They said at max he'd be either sleepy, hyper, or very thirsty b/c it dries them up...
    I told him to Never do this again please. I explained how serious meds are, etc... The child is now reading on a 5th grade level, but didn't bother to read the box! I'm also happy that we forgot to give it to him the night before or else he would've had 3 in his system. Oh dear... This was yesterday, all seems to be fine. In fact his nose is even snuffier now... hmmm time to switch meds?

2. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

how scary!!!! it is true! just when you think they are old enough to know better - that is when they do something like that!! my ds#3 swallowed a charm off of my charm bracelet not long ago - he's 9!!!

that is wierd how his nose is stuffier now - seems like he would have NO problems after all of that!!
    I am glad he is ok!!

:hug99: ,
    Heather

3. Callen

Callen Well-Known Member

Yikes! Glad he is OK.

4. jxnsmama

jxnsmama Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness! I can imagine my 9 year old doing something off the wall like that. Common sense is not his strong suit.

I'm glad it all turned out OK for your son. Chalk it up to a lesson learned.

5. JenJefLog

JenJefLog Well-Known Member

I remember having to call Poison Control once when Caitlin came up just as I put soap in the dishwasher, stuck her hand in it and put it right in her mouth! That was scary. I have to say, they are such nice people though. They called back later that evening to check on her and once more the next day. I'm glad your son is no worse the wear from his extra medication. It's true that you do sort of start to feel safer when they get a bit older.

6. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

Oh my! But it doesn't surprise me. Sean cut his own hair once before school pictures when he was 8! Older does not always mean wiser.