had to go back to work full-time after twins?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by linnmarie85, Aug 31, 2014.

1. linnmarie85

linnmarie85 Member

Anyone have to go back to work full-time after FMLA? How did you manage everything? I'm nervous about having to go back to 40+ hours plus call after my FMLA.

2. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

I had to do this. It was hard. I also had a 16 month old daughter and my husband was two hours away finishing his RN degree. The biggest advice I can give, is if people ask if there is anything they can do to help, LET THEM! I have a really hard time letting others help me, but during that time, I did. It felt really awkward and uncomfortable, but I'll tell you, when a few meals rolled my way and I didn't have to worry about cooking at the end of the day, I was very happy I accepted the help. It literally only happened a handful of times, but my kids are now 8 and 9 and I still have not forgotten. The other big thing, is to let things go. Take care of the babies, take care of you, and let the house go. Do what you can, when you can. Sleep when they sleep. If you can afford outside help, get some (I'm actually thinking of having someone come clean for a few hours each month, just the big stuff that I never get around to, and just the thought is exciting!).

I'm sure someone with younger babies will chime in. I know I've forgotten quite a bit regarding the reality of that time period. You can do this, but I will take some time to adjust. If you have a partner, make sure you communicate what you need; don't expect them to know.

3. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I went back to work full time when my girls were 8 weeks old, but we didn't put them in daycare until they were 4 months so for the first two months of working, my husband and I flexed our schedules to cover each other.  I don't remember much about that time except that I woke up for the 4am feeding every morning, changed, fed, swaddled babies, hopped in the shower and then headed to work (feeling annoyed that starbucks wasn't open- how dare they open at 6am!).  Then I came home at 1pm so my husband could go to work, and took care of babies all day... and instead of sleeping while they slept, I had my laptop on to field emails and get more work done.  Crazy!  Then when my husband got home, I went to bed immediately and he took care of the girls so I could at least get a solid 5-6 hours of sleep.  

Like Kristi said let things go, let people help, and know that it won't always be this crazy.  You will get into a routine and it will be fine.  And really do try to sleep when they sleep even if that seems impossible.  

4. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I went back to work when my twins were 4 or 5 weeks old, no FMLA for me.  I was able to go back to my job but work the graveyard shift instead.  So I would work all night while the boys were with their father, then I would pick them up from him in the morning and have them during the day.   8-9 years later, I'm not sure if that was a good idea or not!  I certainly couldn't do it now at my age. :laughing:

5. linnmarie85

linnmarie85 Member

Thanks everyone. I have a 2 year old son, so I guess it will be similar going back to work when I had him just leaving 3 instead of 1 :) My husband is the stay at home daddy I'm just scared he's going to go crazy lol I do better dealing with little ones then he does. Thanks again for all your advice and support, love those site.

6. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

I went back after 8 weeks. It was a struggle - I went through 2 sitters in the first 6 months before we found our current one!

7. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

I also went back at 8 weeks. I agree with letting things go. That was the biggest thing for us. Deciding what was most important and focusing on that.