Hair washing

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by twingrandma, May 1, 2011.

1. twingrandma

twingrandma Well-Known Member

The boys are 20 months and for the last couple months our so have been freaking out when it comes to hair washing. I don't know what brought it on but it is getting old real fast. They scream and try to get away from me the whole time. I have tried everything to make it easier on them and nothing works. anyone else have this problem? is this just a phase? What did you do to stop the screaming?

2. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

do they want to do it themselves?? maybe letting them help you pour water over their heads...

3. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

Is it the water in their face they don't like? My 3.5 year old STILL hates getting his hair washed (he does not like the water on his face). What has helped for us is to give him a dry washcloth to hold over his eyes while his hair is being washed and rinsed so nothing gets in his eyes. I think having him hold it helps too since it gives him something to focus on.

4. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

Put them in the shower with you. At that age my girls HATED to have their hair washed so I started putting them in the shower with me and I soaped their hair and let the shower rinse it without them even realizing. The shower was a novelty so they liked it pretty good!! Maybe worth a try anyway??!

5. shelbaz

shelbaz Well-Known Member

My 18 month olds are the same way. I tried laying them down in the bath to rinse, or tipping heads back, and they panic. Showers didn't work, they both squirmed away from me.

I just ordered a pitcher visor combo off One Step Ahead's website. Supposed to help w/ less water in the face, which is what really cranks up my two. I will let you know how it works!

6. haleystar

haleystar Well-Known Member

Mine had a HUGE fear of the tub and running water from the bath faucet since they were hosed down to clean up the cake disaster with the garden hose on their birthday. Eventually they grew out of it and now REALLY enjoy bath time. We have a lot of those water toys that squirt small streams of water and rubber duckies and they love playing with those. We also do bubble baths and keep the water levels low so that if they lay back they aren't submerged and their heads are well above water. Currently they have started squirting each other with the bath toys and laying down in the tub like they are relaxing in a bubble bath like adults. They love it.

Maybe try a bubble bath and see how that goes. Make sure to have lots of "it's okay, it's just water, it won't hurt, it's fun (and show them how to have fun with it)", same goes for the hair washing. Make it fun with hair styles, put the soap in their hands and then show them what to do. What are you using? Maybe they don't like the soap?

It takes time and consistency but if you're lucky it'll be over soon. :) Good luck!

P.S. I apologize if I'm repeating other ppl's advice and suggestions; I didn't have a lot of time to read them all.