Haircuts

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by orangeyaglad, Aug 6, 2010.

1. orangeyaglad

orangeyaglad Well-Known Member

I started cutting my girls' bangs a long time ago. They have had a lot of hair since birth and now it's past their shoulders. It's all grown in everywhere and I don't want to cut the back just the bangs. They won't sit still for me any longer. They won't wear anything in their hair either. I was thinking of taking them somewhere so a professional could deal with them because maybe their used to it? Do you think they're too young? I don't want any loose eyeballs. ;)

2. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

My DDs had their first professional hair cut at about 1 1/2. I held each while they got their hair cut. Before that we trimmed M's bangs a couple of times at home. Now at 3+ they are pro's and love going to see Sue :)

3. orangeyaglad

Moderators, can you move this to the second year? I put it in the wrong place. Thanks!

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It took both of my kids a long time get hair long enough to cut. My DD had her first professional hair cut at 21 months and she has done really well with the haircuts. DS went for the first time at 24 months and he did great with the first two haircuts and not so well with the last two. I don't think they are too young at all. Good luck with the haircuts!

5. orangeyaglad

Thanks! I was doing it myself, but now I get a 1/3 of the way done and they turn their heads and start crying. It is seriously dangerous. Now, they are at the point where they are lifting their chins to look at stuff because they can't see over their hair. They are starting to resemble cousin it. :)

6. SMax

SMax Well-Known Member

My best piece of advice is to have them sit on your lap for their first few times. DS was TERRIFIED of getting his hair cut at that age, even at the kids' salon with DVDs and fun chairs to sit in. Finally, after the third time there, we had a wonderful stylist who suggested he sit on my lap. It made a WORLD of difference and the haircut was a breeze (she spent over 30 minutes getting it perfect!.

A box of little toys (plastic animals, matchbox cars, etc) to play with helped a lot, too! Kept him occupied and less concerned about the stranger with scissors near his face!

GL!

7. orangeyaglad

We've tried the sitting on the lap thing and they know exactly what's going on. They don't want to sit still long enough to let me do it or they will take the scissors and try to run! ACK! Thanks for your response.

8. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I took my son for a haircut the other night and one of the things that the hairdresser did (because sitting on the lap was not working) was to let him watch the water in the pedicure tub (DS is obsessed with water)...the hairdresser had him sit on a little footrest and he got to play with the buttons and loved watching the bubbles. It was more work for her to cut his hair, but it kept him quiet and she was able to do the job in relative peace.

9. lio&ella

lio&ella Active Member

My girl has a TON of hair, we got hers cut around 9 months old because it was in her eyes all the time. And we got my boys "cut" at the same time, but he didnt really need it. We just put them both on our laps and let them play with a toy. They both did great. They were curious, but I think a little scared too! Good Luck!

10. naomi02

naomi02 Well-Known Member

I can't remember how old ds was when I started taking him in for haircuts. I tried several myself, but he was a wiggler. I tried turning on movies, treats, etc, but it wasn't working. He's very shy, so when I took him to the hairdresser he was so shy he didn't move a muscle! Now, he's gone enough times that he knows what to expect & always sits still. Plus, the professionals are a lot faster than I was.