Halloween costumes?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Fran27, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Last year I just picked for them... this year they are old enough to have a say... what do you do with your 3yo? Do you take them to the store and let them pick? I don't want to pay a ton but I don't want to wait too long and have no selection either.

2. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

At three, I asked them what they wanted to be, but was also able to persuade them to something I thought would be good (and not as expensive). I get their costumes early so I have the best selection and can get the correct size. I bought my sons costumes for the last two years at Target. This year, I asked them and will just do my best with their requests because they were dead set on what they wanted to be.

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine had two choices...DD could choose between Ruby and being a strawberry, she choose strawberry. DS initially said he wanted to be Max but now he is making noise about being R2D2..we'll see.

4. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

At three, I showed them the Old Navy website and let them pick. I figured I was letting them participate in the decision but limiting the choices to costumes I liked and could afford. This year I made the mistake of bringing home a Halloween costume catalog. Cricket quickly decided she wanted to be Tinkerbell, but Piper changes her mind every hour. This morning alone she wanted to be Sleeping Beauty, an astronaut, a fireman, or maybe a carrot. And, of course, each costume is more expensive than the last.

5. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I'm really not sure! My main issue is the weather, we can't have short sleeves stuff... DS doesn't like dressing up so what if he doesn't want anything? lol

6. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

I make their costumes, or help them gather the stuff for them. So I usually let them pick, but also let them know whether or not it's doable. If I have a really cute idea, I'll "encourage" them in that direction, sometimes. This year the kids are being the cast of Despicable Me. My girls will be the 3 girls, Adam is Gru, Trey is Vector (that one took some talking into), and Spencer will be a minion.
    That's going to be the problem for Spencer. He won't keep a hat on, even though it's a super cute minion hat I crocheted for him.

7. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine aren't 3 yet but they don't really understand Halloween so I get 1 more year to be the boss;) We are doing Alice in Wonderland and Tweedle dee and Tweedle Dum...but I just keep saying Tweedle Dee bc I can't bear calling one of them Dum.

8. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

When I mentioned Halloween a few weeks ago and asked what they should be, my one DS told me he would be Thing 1, his brother Thing 2 and he wants me to be the Cat in the Hat.

I really liked that idea, so I went online to see how much it will cost and I can make their costumes for under $15/each. Now I just have to decide how much I want to spend for mine.

I was suprised he knew right away what he wanted to be. His brother is very easy going and could really care less. Whatever I put on him, he'll be happy.

They will be 2 months shy of 4 this halloween and I'm pretty sure this will be the last year they will match.

9. luvrkids

luvrkids Well-Known Member

My girls picked last year(3yrs)but one of my DD didnt get to go trick or treating because she was in the hospital, my parents took my other DD to a few houses. My girls still fit in their costumes from last year and they are fine with wearing them this year :woohoo: