Halloween for almost-2-year-olds?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Minette, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I'm trying to decide whether to do anything for Halloween this year. They are too young to "get" trick or treating, and they go to bed too early anyway. So if we did buy costumes and dress them up, it would just be to go downtown for the kiddie parade.

I'm not crazy about spending money on costumes at this age, but more importantly, I wonder if it would scare them half to death to see a bunch of monsters, lions, etc. (or even fairies and spidermen) walking around? What has your experience been with Halloween at this age?

2. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Hi Alden-My DD was born in Oct. and we dressed her up and took her trick or treating when she was 2. She didn't eat any candy though, but she had fun. We did about 10 houses or so. She had a good time.

I will take Emilie and Trevor around this year too with their big sister.

3. rheamay

rheamay Well-Known Member

last year Anthony had just turned two and he had a great time. Wasn't scared at all. The year before, when he was just 13 months...we just took him to a few houses in the neighborhood. We had fun taking pics, they are SO cute in costumes that little. It was more for us though (the parents) then the kids. And I had a darn good time! :p This year, Ant will be 3 and the twins will be about 17 months...I am taking them again and can't wait.

4. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

We have dressed them up and taken them to our neighbors houses only and we usually go early like around 7 or so. Last year they were a little unsure, but they weren't crying or anything.

This year we will do the same thing.

5. Saiynee

Saiynee Well-Known Member

My girls are almost exactly a year older than yours, so I was were you were last year. I took them trick-or-treating with my sisters and their kids (until the older ones ran off, which left my kids and I alone for the remained of the night). At first they were hesitant, but once they got the idea that they were getting goodies, they started asking to knock on the doors themselves and were saying "trick-or-treat" and "thank you". They enjoyed themselves and weren't scared of anything. In fact, tehy loved seeing the "scary" in stores. This year, not so much.

You can get decently cheap costumes on ebay. I'm contemplating selling mine, but I have to get over the "momentos" idea. I had bought their costumes the year before on clearance. They were normally $30 and I got them for I believe it was $16 or $17 dollars. They were witches.

6. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

Target always has cute Halloween-themed shirts and accessories. You could do that instead of full-blown costumes. I like dressing them up now when I get to pick the costume while I can before they want to be a Bratz girl or something else objectionable.
    Last year, we took them to the library for Halloween storytime dressed up. I don't think we'll be trick-or-treating this year, as I don't know our neighbors and it with them being so young, it would look like I'm the one who really wants the candy. I'm sure I'll dress them up, but not sure where I'll take them. I'm in a Mom's Club now so maybe they will be doing something. Sometimes the mall has events for children that are more low-key and not scary.

7. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

In our town the City, Police, Fire, and Parks Department combine and put together a trick-or-treat & kids parade in the middle of the afternoon the weekend before Halloween at businesses so it's less sketchy. My parents church also does a "Trunk or Treat" event in their church parking lot where church members come and walk the kids around the parking lot trick or treating out of one another's trunks so it's at least people you trust.

Thx for posting this, Alden. I'm still waffling about what to do and it's nice to see other's plans. I haven't decided if it's worth the effort and am mostly annoyed by the stress I'm already gearing up for trying to keep my poor babies asleep with the doorbell ringing. Maybe we'll just give them a late nap and keep them up until 8:30 or (GULP) 9:00 when I refuse to continue answering the door anyway.

I seem to remember a lot of this same 'Oh God, the babies will never sleep' anxiety about 4 of July and, despite the incredible racket, their sleep was, miraculously, undisturbed.

8. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

QUOTE(SweetpeaG @ Aug 27 2007, 07:21 PM) [snapback]382189[/snapback]
    I haven't decided if it's worth the effort and am mostly annoyed by the stress I'm already gearing up for trying to keep my poor babies asleep with the doorbell ringing.
    I seem to remember a lot of this same 'Oh God, the babies will never sleep' anxiety about 4 of July and, despite the incredible racket, their sleep was, miraculously, undisturbed.

I guess that's the upside of living in a neighborhood with no trick-or-treating (although overall it bums me out). Besides, we don't have a doorbell. :D (Never got around to installing one.) But after the thunderstorms they've slept (and napped) through this summer, I wouldn't worry too much about it anyway.

9. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

I took my guys when they were 10 months old... they only stayed awake for 3 houses, LOL

10. JeanieM

JeanieM Well-Known Member

I take the kids out. I took my oldest out every year, even when he was 7 months. That year we took him to the neighbors we were friends with. The second year, when he was 19 months he went to a few homes and LOVED IT. He never had candy at the time, but didnt care. He got it.
    The twins have gone out every year, and I have had a blast with costumes. We dont go to many houses. Last year they were stroller/wagon bound but this year, they will get to do the traditional trick or treating. I am now thinking of costumes. I may make them both rock/punk stars