Halloween

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by brandycaviness, Aug 25, 2009.

1. brandycaviness

brandycaviness Well-Known Member

I got the Costume Express catalog in the mail yesterday. I sat down with the girls and thought about getting their feedback on what they wanted to dress as. Of course every page was met with, ooh mommy, that is my favorite.

I still haven't given up on the idea of salt & pepper shakers, but I have to get my butt in gear.

2. Juj

Juj Well-Known Member

We have been talking about Halloween also.

Katherine has mentioned being a Kitty Cat and Michael wants to be a Dolphin. I have seen some cat costumes but no dolphin costume.

Halloween will be here before you know it.

3. Stacy A.

Stacy A. Well-Known Member

Anna is going to be a mermaid. She's been asking for months! Ian...I'm trying to talk him into a pirate since it kinda goes with a mermaid. I've also mentioned a shark. But, the only thing he wants to be is a bird. The thing is, I always make their costumes. A bird is going to be HARD! I'm still hoping to change his mind.

4. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We already have our costumes. I found some cute ones at Target last year when they were 75% off. They are up in the attic and ready to go. We actually have Halloween next weekend at our campground on the Cape. So my kids get to Trick or Treat when it's still warm, and then again in October.

Yesterday I got the Buycostumes catalog and today Costume Express.

5. brandycaviness

What are they going as Mo?

6. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Meghan's got a witch costume and the boys have a doctor and a Buzz Lightyear (if I remember correctly :blush:). They are up in the attic. I also have a Spiderman and Fairy Princess from last year which they can use as well.

7. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

Honestly, I can't decide....

I have several thoughts.
    1. DS as Elvis or one of the guys off of Grease & DD a 50's girl in a poodle skirt.
    2. Raggedy Ann & Andy
    3. Little Bo Peep & a sheep
    4. Mickey & Minnie

I also think the little golfer costume & the little fisherman costumes are super cute for DS, but then I don't know what DD would be.

8. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I asked them this morning for the first time -- Amy said "a lion" and Sarah said "a moose." :ibiggrin: (She just started talking about moose this morning -- I have no idea why...)

But I hesitate to actually commit to anything -- who knows when they'll change their minds? Last year we just took them to Costco and let them pick from whatever was on the rack, but there wasn't all that much selection -- your basic top 5 zoo animals.

Also, our twins club sale is October 3 and I know there will be some costumes there (probably really cheap) -- but I'm afraid of waiting that long because if I don't find anything there, all the stores will be almost sold out! So maybe I should buy something soon, and then see what's at the sale, and maybe get some backups and figure we can just use them for dress-up too.

9. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

Well, the Florida/Georgia game is ON Halloween this year, since Halloween happens to fall on a Saturday. And, it's an afternoon game, so trick-or-treating will fall smack in the middle of it.

Since we live in the heart of Bulldog country (and I'm a Gator fan), the kids are going to have to be Florida football player/cheerleader this year. :D At least K&K, who are too young to protest. Nadia can be whatever she asks for -- haven't heard anything from her yet.

10. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Ana said she wants to be Kai-Lan... I have NO idea how I'll pull that off. Meara hasn't committed to anything yet.

11. MrsBQ02

MrsBQ02 Well-Known Member

I was thinking about this last night. It'll be the first time I dress them up in costumes. The first two years they've really been too young to "get it" or to really enjoy it. I'm thinking either Pooh and Tigger or maybe an elephant and a giraffe. Problem is, I'm afraid those costumes (especially the animal ones) will be way too hot for down here.

12. luvrkids

luvrkids Well-Known Member

I was thinking of Tigger and pooh too. last year I waited to long and all costume were gone and I had to go to the Christmas section at babies r us which I could not believe that they already had out and the choices were Santa,snowmen or reindeer's. So that is what my girls were last Halloween reindeer's. Of course they were adorable but lesson learned DON'T WAIT!!!!!

13. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

I haven't decided! The boys might like to be dinosaurs - they love to pretend to be them without costumes, so I bet they would like the costumes, too.

A very sweet TS mama (SweetPeaG) sent us some Elmo & Cookie Monster costumes that she used last year and which I thought the boys would love, but they are both deathly afraid of putting the costumes on since they have to go over their heads! :lol: Instead, Jacob likes to walk around with his arms in the body, and the costume head part in his arms like he is getting a constant hug from his "friends". So, while Jacob LOVES hugging the costumes, they won't be Sesame Street characters...

14. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

Mine want to be kitty cats, they have their hearts set on it. Unfortunately they want colors I haven't seen yet in any catalogs.

15. Buttercup1

Buttercup1 Well-Known Member

Maybe he could be Neptune, god of the sea and water?

I was thinking pirate and mermaid for my girls. Julia has been obsessed with mermaids lately and Dani does the cutest little "arrrgh" when you ask her what a pirate says. I've found some pretty cute costumes online but was thinking about asking my mom to make them. I've been able to find pirate patterns but none for mermaids.

16. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I got a costume mag in the mail, too, but haven't had time to look through it with the girls. They started talking about Halloween yesterday for some reason..and wanted to go trick or treating immediately :laughing: I couldn't get through to them that they had to wait and nearly had a meltdown. As of right now I have a Tinkerbell and a possible mermaid (don't know how we'll pull that one off). I'm sure they'll change their minds once we look through the magazine.

17. littletwinstars

littletwinstars Well-Known Member

Our DS will be Captain Hook and our DD will be Silvermist. Luckily, my sister found the costumes on sale a few months ago on the Disney outlet website. We got DS' costume for $5! It is now at the Disney store for ~$40! We have all the other pirate accessories and DS even agreed to wear the long black Jack Sparrow (Pirates of the Caribbean)wig! We don't have the Silvermist wings or shoes so I'm making the wings. I'm still trying to figure out what to use for her shoes.

18. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

There is actually an official Kai Lan costume, but it looks really weird:
    http://www.halloweencostumes4u.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=rub883561&Category_Code=cartoonkids&Store_Code=hal

I would never have associated those weird clothes with Kai Lan.... I never even noticed what she's wearing -- she's just all head! It seems like the only way to really look like Kai Lan would be to wear a giant head. :laughing:

Meanwhile, I looked online for a moose costume for small children, and nada. :umm:

19. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls will be 2 by the time Halloween is here! I am going to do a costume birthday party for them. Lily is going to be a flower and Amelia is going to be a bee.

20. Leighann

OMG that is bizarre!!! And expensive given its a shorts set and a weird head thing. Yeah I think I'm going to talk her out of this, but her second choice is Hello Kitty, which is also a giant head so thats not any better!!! Why can't she want to be a ballerina! We have that costume already (see avi)!!!

21. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

As of right now, I'm still leaning towards Alice in Wonderland and the Mad Hatter.

Of course, that's assuming that I'll have time to make their costumes once I move. If I have to buy something, I have no idea what they'll be.

22. brandycaviness

L&M were pirates last year too. They were obsessed with Pirates of the Carribean. My MIL made their little skirts and they wore black tights and a white shirt. We bought a hat from the Halloween section and plastic sword. For the belt we just tied a sash. They wouldn't go for the eye patch though.

23. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

Mine are going to be unicorns.....white turtle necks/white pants. My mom and I made a horn/mane and tail (pink/purple w/ ribbons & glitter). Less than 10$ each and they will go in dress up when we are done with them. I cnat stomach spending $40+ a costume EACH.

I started hamming up unicorns a few weeks ago- now they are all gung ho about them. Subtle, I know--but budget meets what I had around the house!! I also thought princesses, but they dress up as princesses all week....so it is nothing 'special'.

IT gets cold here so barebones costumes (leotard/tights ballerina) etc are out.

24. Leighann

Hey Alden, Your moose costume exists: http://www.brandsonsale.com/toddler-moose-costume-015029.html But its out of stock here and kind of pricey. You could modify a horse costume with moose ears made out of felt, stuffing and wire, and put it on a headband.

25. Sullyirishtwins

Sullyirishtwins Well-Known Member

Thanks for the website! The first 2 years they have been clueless what "Halloween" is all about. I am unsure if they would understand it as they will turn '3' on Sept. 30th. But they are seeing some Halloween stuff coming out at Target, Meijers, or Wal-Mart. I haven't approach to them what their interest is.....I know they both LOVE dinosaurs.

With the website show they have a pink dinosaurs. It would be PERFECT to match her brother. The only concern I have is that they HATE wearing any hats or caps. I tried and tried -- gave up long ago. They both don't have any 'pretend clothes' yet and plan on getting one for their birthday.

With my son he may not really care because he has a language/speech delay of a 2 yr old level. At this point, I don't know whether he would be comfortable in a fully costume or not.

1st year they were Chicaog Bears Football/Cheerleaders
    2nd year they were Animal Planet White Tiger and Meerket

Maybe, I should do something really simple like Cowboy/Cowgirl and they can wear the hat off with string on their back?

26. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

I'm thinking Dora and Diego - Dora wears purple shorts and a pink shirt and pink socks and sneakers and Diego wears khaki shorts, a blue shirt and a vest - they both already have the backpacks...or I guess I could ask them...I'm sure Abby will want to be a princess or ballerina of some sort and my son will probably want to be Lightening McQueen ;)

27. Chillers

Chillers Well-Known Member

Both girls (Searra especially) are pretty darn enamored of princesses and fairies right now, so I was thinking along those lines. I figure this is my last year *I'm* going to really be able to pick. But we run into the cold issue here too, and they may want that next year...

So then I was thinking Dinosaurs or Dragons, also high on the interest list right now (and they'd be warm!)

My mom sews the girls costumes, so we've got a little time to start poking around but need to decide soon!

28. nurseandrea02

nurseandrea02 Well-Known Member

My boys have absolutely NO idea what Halloween is at this point. I did get a costume catalog so non-chalantly asked Aiden what he wanted to be for Halloween...and he replied, "NOODLES!". I then asked Conner, but Aiden shouted out "BROCCOLI" before Conner could even reply.

However, they will NOT be noodles & broccoli. Aiden will be a green dino/dragon & Conner will be a blue dino/dragon. My super crafty MIL is making them for us so it's WAY cheaper this year! Now I just have to divert my eyes when walking past the costume aisle & seeing all the super cute costumes out there.....

29. Stacy A.

Stacy A. Well-Known Member

30. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

I have NO clue and I'm spazzing about it. We got a catalog in the mail the other day and Lauren was looking through it so I asked which one she wanted to wear for Halloween and she pointed out the sexy adult costumes. :woah: I'm in trouble with this one I tell ya.

31. plattsandra103

plattsandra103 Well-Known Member

I'm sort of in a predicament with this as well....the easy way out is to dress them as thing 1 and thing 2 from the cat in the hat--i just have to get some blue wigs and we're done since we got some t-shirts at universal studios back in january.

BUT

first of all, they have no clue what thing 1 and thing 2 are LOL

second, Ally has a bunch of beautiful hand-me-down costumes from her cousins--among them a ballerina, sleeping beauty, and minnie mouse. and poor bear has nothing....so i will probably be looking for something....problem is most boys costumes are long sleeve or plush, and it's HOT here on Halloween. i was thinking caillou which he loves, just with a red hat, blue shorts and a yellow t-shirt....but it's not really a costume, plus, he has hair :) i'll be glad to get some more ideas here....

32. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My boys will be two come Halloween. Last year they were Mario and Luigi from Super Mario Bros. This year I am hoping to do The Little Rascals. Anthony will be Spanky, Nicholas Alfalfa, and Annabella Darla.

Now to pull it off...

33. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

We had a costume party for the twins last year for their b-day. We are going to be fairys. We have ice blue with pink decorations from our dance recital so a pair of wings will finish it off nice. I have 3 and 4 size sailor outfits i'd be willing to sale. Out past costumes:
    year 2: Pink poodles and I wore a poodle skirt
    year 3: bella and sleeeping beauty