Hand foot mouth disease

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by w101ttd, May 1, 2013.

1. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Hi ladies,

I have some questions about this disease. Michelle lately develops some rashes on the back of her legs, top of her feet, and now some (just a few) on her wrists. It started with her legs like 1 week ago. I thought its because of her soccer socks which are knee high socks. rashes are behind of her legs from her knee down. it got better when she didn't play soccer and got worse after she played. I took her to doctor on Monday. the doc (not our doctor) said she got eczema and prescribed hydrocortisone. I have been applying it on her legs 2xs/day. Also, I apply Aveeno eczema lotion so often as well. It looks like it got better. the rashes on her legs starts drying out. But now she starts having some (few here and there only not whole lot like on l=her legs)on her wrists, arms and body. its kindda itchy. I am not sure if its eczema. Im afraid she got hand foot mouth disease. However, she doesn't have fever, not sick. I checked her mouth,palms and bottom feet, nothing no rash. I also looked at those pics on the internet. Her rashes are tiny tiny dots, not blisters. I am keeping my eyes on her closely now. If she doesn't get better by next tue, I will take her back to doctor. Their pedi is only in the office tue and wed.

Have you ever deal with similar situation? How long does it take to get rid of it? Is It hand foot mouth disease? What else should I do for her?

thank you so much!

2. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

My kids (and my husband) had hand, foot, and mouth disease last summer. They got fleshy bumps (no blisters) on their extremities... tops of their feet up to their knees, tops of hands up to their elbows (none on palms or bottoms of feet and it was not itchy). They did get sores in their mouth, which was the worst part of the disease - they REALLY bothered them. The fever came before the rash and it was a very low grade fever that can be easily missed (I only noticed it because my boys got it in succession, one after the other). They were seen by a doctor, diagnosed with the disease, but nothing was done to treat it... we just had to let it run its course.

I am not a doctor, but it doesn't sound like hand, foot, and mouth. With my boys the rash came, stayed for about 7 days then started to disappear. It never came back. And I tried like crazy to keep it from spreading but there was no stopping it. Does your son have a rash? Do you notice the rash most after physical activity? Could it be heat rash?

I am sorry you are dealing with this! Rashes can be so tricky!

3. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

My kids had HFM at one point, too, and that doesn't sound like it to me either. It could be eczema - I get that myself, and the tiny dots sound a lot like what I have.

4. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

Definitely NOT hand, foot, mouth disease. Sounds like either eczema, skin allergy (to grass, a soap, etc) or bites like fleas or scabies. I would continue the hydrocortisone, try oatmeal baths for the itching, and make sure you wipe her arms and legs down after she comes in from playing outside.

5. w101ttd

thank you ladies. You ladies made me feel much better. Yes, I think she has some kindda skin allergy. Yesterday, we went to park. they rode their bikes and played on the grass. After 45 mins, I checked her legs. New rash appeared on the front of her legs. Now its still there. I washed her off before we came home. She doesn't complain at all, still is healthy, active and eats like a champ. I think its heat rash since I got it all the time when I was little. And yesterday it was like 81 or higher at the park. But Im not sure. Today, I took her in the lab. the tech drew her blood for kids allergy tests. We will know what she is allergic to on sat or next mon.

Thank you ladies. Have a wonderful day :)

6. Shohenadel

Shohenadel Well-Known Member

We've had hand, foot and mouth a couple of times and it was more like bumps...lightly blistery. The worst of it were the mouth sores. What you are describing doesn't sound like hand, foot and mouth to me.

Hope this helps!
    Shannon

7. SC

SC Well-Known Member

We've had HFM and we had no rash on the skin. There were mouth sores and fever. I don't think this sounds like HFM or eczema (which we have, too). It sounds like an allergic reaction or just an irritation.

8. w101ttd

Thank you ladies. I don't know what she got really. I saw some pimples (no blisters, no pain) in her mouth. Some are on her right palm.The rashes on her legs go away and come back. But it doesn't seem to get worse. And she is still active and healthy, eats a lot actually. She only complains tht her legs itchy. So I keep using aveeno eczema lotion (2xs/day) and hydro cream (1/day). I will call doc office tomorrow for her allergy test results and go from there. I wish I knew what is going on with her. Ugh. Thanks!