Has anybody sent their identical twins to separate secondary schools?

Discussion in 'General' started by MangoActive, Sep 28, 2012.

1. MangoActive

MangoActive New Member

Hi everyone,
    Has anybody sent their identical twins to separate secondary schools? I have identical twin boys who are very competitive with each other. They are in separate classes and have their own rooms but the competitiveness is getting worse. They bicker constantly and as soon as they get home from school they compare everything they did that day and it's all about who was the fastest or who got the most praise from the teacher. It's driving us all crazy. They are both popular at school and share most friends. Their personalities and abilities are very similar.
    They will start high school next year and the two school options we are considering are only a few kms apart and academically very similar. We are really agonizing over this decision and whether it will be the right thing for them.
    Does anyone have any advice?
    Thanks for any imput.
    mango

2. angelsmom2001

angelsmom2001 Well-Known Member

Mine aren't identical, but this year I put them in different schools. I did it for a lot of reasons, mostly because one of my girls bullied the other, to the point where she no longer wanted to live with us. I needed to separate them. So far it has been the best thing I could have done. The one who changed schools, is more vibrant, stands taller, is more confident, is making new friends and LOVES her new school. The one who stayed at their original school, was already a popular child, but I think was a bit in her sisters shadow academically, that is no longer happening, so she too is more confident. They are also getting along better at home. No its not perfect and the bully can still push her sister's buttons, but the bullied one is able to stand up for herself. The multiple daily fights have reduced to once every other day or two.

One thing I did when I made the decision to move one of them is I told them one of them was going to have to transfer to a new school. The one who moved thought it was the best idea in the world, the other came up to me and said "Mom, please don't make me change schools, I really like this one and my friends are all here" The reason I bring this up is that I already knew who would move, but I wanted to get their take on the situation. IF I were you, I'd ask them what they think of the idea of one going to another school, getting their feedback on options is important if you want them to succeed. Especially if they are going to be in high school. I've seen too many kids who transfer at high school level, because mom and dad wanted them to, who don't succeed because it isn't the best move for them in the long run. If they aren't behind the decision to change, it is going to be harder all around.