Has anyone bought their son a doll?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by seamusnicholas, Oct 16, 2008.

1. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

Nicholas loves babies. When he sees his baby cousins, he likes to sit by them and kiss them. When I went to his first day of preschool with him, he went up to the loft where the babies were.

So today at Target, there were these little dolls for $2.99 and I bought him one. Actually I got one for S too! I am not asking if you think it is right or wrong because I am comfortable with my choice on giving it to him. I am just wondering if anyone else has given their son a doll or if anyone else has a son who likes dolls! And this will be the extent to his baby collection! I will not be giving him more but thought he might like to have one!

2. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

Will got a doll of his own for Christmas one year. And the girls have so many dolls now that the boys don't need their own. But if we didn't have 15 dolls, I would buy each of them one as well. Sometimes they take them to bed with them at night. They always push them in their strollers, feed them meals, show them all their trucks and cars. I think dolls are wonderful, whether a boy or a girl!

3. Shadyfeline

Shadyfeline Well-Known Member

I don't see anything wrong with it. My son wants Darby from My Friends Tigger & Pooh and she comes with a mirror and brush I guess geared toward girls but he will be getting it for Christmas or his Birthday.

4. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

My sister made each of my children Humpty Dumptys (a sort of ragdoll), and they LOVED them. DS1 took Humpty everywhere with him.

5. Irish38

Irish38 Well-Known Member

My DS had 2, who were 'brothers' named Bobby and Chucky :friends: . The twins inherited them. All 3 boys are very rough & tumble, so it is fun to see their softer sides as they cuddle and take care of their 'babies'.

6. firsttimer

firsttimer Well-Known Member

We have a doft baseball player doll. My Mom bought the kids American Doll Bitty Baby Twins (boy/girl) for Christmas. She asked if I cared and I said no. I think it is fine.

7. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

My neighbor bought her son a doll when his baby brother was born....I think it was a great way for him to see how 'grown up' he was and learn to model how to take care of his brother!

I hope he loves it!

8. mommymauro

mommymauro Well-Known Member

Well my older ds proved that advertising works on children… one year i heard him ask Santa for “My Beautiful Mermaid”… I figured it out later that he was fascinated that “her hair changes color in the bath”… if it was an ice cold bath. So yes much to some families issues w/ it… I have bought my son a doll… now he would die if he knew I was telling anyone this NOW

9. Erineliza

Erineliza Well-Known Member

My son isn't old enough to "ask" for something- but if he ever does- I will buy him a doll.

10. eechols22

eechols22 New Member

Both of my little boys have dolls. They have them in their beds and call them Babas. I have no problem with it!

11. Babytimes2

Babytimes2 Well-Known Member

Yep! We bought both boys a Cabbage Patch baby for Christmas one year.

12. Merijo

Merijo Well-Known Member

All three of my boys play with various dolls we have bought for them. I just recently got a bunch of strollers and highchair type of things for them at a garage sale up our street. They love them. Unfortunately they also try to get into them - not good. Love a dolly and then wipe out in the buggy. Little boys are so funny.
    Enjoy the sweet side of your boy,
    Merijo

13. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

We bought a set of B/G twin dolls for the kids. Ben likes dolls, and I am glad he has had lots of access to them. I don't know if I would have done it if I had two boys (just wouldn't think of doing it).

On a funny side note, I had a bunch of dolls in my kindergarten playhouse a couple weeks ago (our theme was all about growing up). The boys had more fun trying to put real diapers on the babies! It was a hit, and they are five and six years old!!!

14. RondaJo

RondaJo Well-Known Member

DS got twin dolls for Christmas after the girls were born.

15. clb8899

clb8899 Well-Known Member

I haven't given one to DS, but only because DH doesn't think it's right. DS has one at grandma's house. He was changing a "poopy" diaper today. He did very well, I might add. I think it just helps him feel more involved.

16. rheamay

rheamay Well-Known Member

Last year at Christmas, I bought a Strawberry Shortcake doll for DH's granddaughter. Well, it turned out that she already had it. So it sat in my living room for a few weeks and I was going to return it after the holidays. Well, Gabe took a liking to it. DH said "no way!" when I suggested giving it to him. So he played with it, through the box, for a week or so. lol! One day, I just opened it up and gave it to him. He played with it for about a month and now it's just at the bottom of the toy box with the rest of their junk. :) It was no big deal.

ETA - fwiw, I read somewhere that it was good for boys to play with "babies" because it helped them learn compassion and empathy. Dont know if it's true, but I saw it somewhere.

17. seamusnicholas

QUOTE(mommy23monkeys @ Oct 16 2008, 09:21 PM) [snapback]1029400[/snapback]
    Last year at Christmas, I bought a Strawberry Shortcake doll for DH's granddaughter. Well, it turned out that she already had it. So it sat in my living room for a few weeks and I was going to return it after the holidays. Well, Gabe took a liking to it. DH said "no way!" when I suggested giving it to him. So he played with it, through the box, for a week or so. lol! One day, I just opened it up and gave it to him. He played with it for about a month and now it's just at the bottom of the toy box with the rest of their junk. :) It was no big deal.
    ETA - fwiw, I read somewhere that it was good for boys to play with "babies" because it helped them learn compassion and empathy. Dont know if it's true, but I saw it somewhere.

:laughing:

Thanks for everyone who has responded! After reading this thread I reread my post and saw the last line and thought, why should this be the only one they get. What if they want more! I told dh I want to now get them a cabbage patch doll and he smiled and said, "Take it easy!" Prior to us having children, if I would have asked him if he had a son, would he give him a doll, he would have said 'no' without any hesitation! If he keeps interest with this little one I got him, maybe I will get him more doll paraphernalia for Christmas!

18. plattsandra103

plattsandra103 Well-Known Member

We have a doft baseball player doll?

what is this and where can i see/get one?

19. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

Just girls here - but I don't see any reason to not give a boy a doll. My girls play with trucks and I guess those are "boy toys". I think it's good to provide them with a variety and let them choose what they want to play with.

20. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

I think it's really sweet that he likes dolls. I think there is nothing at all wrong with a boy having a doll. Especially at 2 years of age...!

My boys have one doll. They could care less about her, but she is there, amidst all their other toys & stuffed animals.

21. megan smith

megan smith Well-Known Member

We have boy girl twins and when I bought my daughter a stroller and baby doll I bought my son one in blue to match they have races down the hallway :)

22. Twinnylou

Twinnylou Well-Known Member

We have boy girl twins and when I bought my daughter a stroller and baby doll I bought my son one in blue to match they have races down the hallway

My 2 do this too meegs ! Either that or try and torment the poor dogs!

I bought my ds a buggy ( we already have loads of dolls) as him and his sister were fighting over hers. My DP was not impressed at all, hes one of these men who think girls should play with dolls and boys should play with cars. I told him tough luck id rather have ds play with a doll and buggy than have the 2 of them fighting over the same one! x

23. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

Yes! Andrew really latched on to a doll as his lovey. Now he insists on sleeping with "baby," and gives her hugs and kisses. It's so sweet! :wub: He's going to be a great dad someday...

24. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

not dolls per se but he has a load of stuffed animals that he loves...come to think of it DD only has one doll too and she doesn't even play with it!

25. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

26. seamusnicholas

QUOTE(SweetpeaG @ Oct 17 2008, 04:54 PM) [snapback]1030726[/snapback]
    My Nicholas loves babies too. We bought them babies when their cousin was born so we could demonstrate how to be careful with babies.

Oh Man!!!!! Are you kidding me! That is the sweetest picture! Must be something with the name!

27. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

QUOTE(seamusnicholas @ Oct 17 2008, 02:55 PM) [snapback]1030729[/snapback]
    Oh Man!!!!! Are you kidding me! That is the sweetest picture! Must be something with the name!

I took this one when I walked in to my bedroom and caught him snuggling with and talking to them...it was too stinkin' cute (I'm not biased in the least).

28. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

OMG! SO cute! :wub: Looks like he's nursing them.

29. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

QUOTE(SweetpeaG @ Oct 17 2008, 05:54 PM) [snapback]1030726[/snapback]
    My Nicholas loves babies too. We bought them babies when their cousin was born so we could demonstrate how to be careful with babies.

I love it!! He is sooo cute!!

30. naomi02

naomi02 Well-Known Member

I have a boy & girl, so although ds has never been given his own he still plays with them plenty. I have no problem with it, but dh sometimes does......I just tell him, he's going to be around other real babies & possibly grow up to be a father himself one day; what's wrong with a little practice?

I have noticed, though, that he will play with them differently than dd. I think it's just amazing to watch their differences! He has his own special "babies" to sleep with at night.....some stuffed dogs, teddy bears & his glow worm is the favorite. :)

31. Sylvarin

Sylvarin Well-Known Member

Alex has a doll, and he's just as much into babies as your little one :) Doesn't bother me at all, either.

32. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

Not yet, but big sis has a ton of dolls, so I'm sure they'll be passed on to both of my little ones! So far, neither Kevan nor Karina has shown that they know what to do with a doll, but I can't wait until they do -- I absolutely love watching that. So cute! :wub:

33. SarahH

SarahH Well-Known Member

My oldest DS has my old cabbage patch dolls from when I was young. He used to play with them all the time, but not anymore. Although he won't get rid of them either.

The twins (b/g) have dolls also. DD has more than DS, but he has two Cabbage Patch dolls of his own, and he will carry them around and play with them quite a bit. He also loves Barbies and other dolls. I see nothing wrong with it, and DH isn't bothered by it much (anymore- he was when we just had DS1).