Has anyone ever gotten pregnant while on their period?

Discussion in 'General' started by pamallhoney, Jan 18, 2010.

?

Have YOU ever gotten pregnant during your period?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

42 vote(s)
    97.7%
  3. I don't know

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. pamallhoney

pamallhoney Well-Known Member

Multiple choice options available in poll, if needed.

Help! Sorry TMI coming up. My DH and I are very fertile people as you can see by my siggy. We are not interested in getting pregnant anytime soon, but we do not want me on the pill, IUD's etc, just condoms and knowing where I am at in my cycle. My DH would like to not use condoms on my light flow days. I'm freaked about the idea and possibly getting pregnant so soon again after a birth. So please help us (him) see that it probably isn't the best idea. :)

I have a couple other questions that I'm curious about: Like do you know someone who didn't know they were pregnant until delivery. And do you know someone who got pregnant while breastfeeding.

2. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

I have never got pregnant while on my period, or breastfeeding but I did get pregnant on the pill if that is any consolation. :) I have had several friends get pregnant while breastfeeding, but as far I as know they weren't taking any other preventative measures. And no, I have never known anyone IRL that did not know they were pregnant until delivery. I know a couple people that didn't know until 16-20 weeks, but no further than that.

3. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I got pregnant with my 3rd baby while breastfeeding. I wasn't still breastfeeding full time, but I had only had 1 period since giving birth to my second child. I got pregnant with L&L on one of the very first days after my period, it was around day 6 of my cycle, so there's really no way I should have gotten pregnant at that point much less with twins! Our bodies are definitely unpredictable at best!

4. pamallhoney

Oh Kyrstyn, I didn't think to add if you have gotten pregnant on some form of birth control. That would have been a good question. Thanks for sharing that information.

Ummm that scares me a bit, Tina! :)

5. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It should! :lol: I'm a lot like you, I've always gotten pregnant really easily, so if I were you I would be super careful if you don't want to get pregnant right now!

6. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

since it took 2 docs and a boatload of drugs to get pg the first several questions are moot for me :laughing: however my BF got PG with her 2nd while still bf'ing her first...her first baby was born July 2002 and her second was in December 2003.

7. pamallhoney

I have gotten pregnant while breastfeeding, but my period had returned months prior. I got pregnant with Jubilee when I wasn't quite sure if it was a normal period or not. I had bleeding the month prior, but it was not like what my normal period was like.

Yes, I do know someone who didn't know she was pregnant. She was actually at my mom and dad's the night before she went into labor. I wasn't there, but my mom who has had 5 babies, said she didn't notice a belly or anything unusual. The next day the girl started having awful cramps which she thought were from her period. She decided to take a bath and her dad heard her moaning. So he rushed her to the hospital, where the staff informed them that she was having a baby. She had her period the whole time. Sad thing was she also drank the whole time, because she didn't know. Baby seems fine and will be two this coming March. It took her a long time to adjust to having a baby. The father of the baby who is like a second family member to me (my mom babysat him when he was little) still hasn't made an effort to be apart of the little one's life.

Oh and my sister got pregnant while breastfeeding. Jonny was born in Jan. 2005 and Hudson Dec. 2005!

8. agolden

agolden Well-Known Member

Dear Husband:
    If you don't want to use a condom, I'll give you a name of a good surgeon. Snip Snip.
    Love,
    Me

9. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

Better knock of wood Amy (LOL, bad word choice). I took us 3 years 5 IUIs and 2 IVFs, and now I'm pregnant the old fashioned way.

I've never been able to get pregnant when I wanted to, and have been pregnant twice when I didn't plan it. LOL! I have the worst luck with fertility.

10. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

Pam,
    I'd like to remind you that the last time you posted one of these "have you ever... pregnant?" polls.. YOU GOT PREGNANT!

LOL.

I marvel at the fact that you still have the time AND energy to even THINK about "getting" pregnant! WOW! :)

11. pamallhoney

:) I am thinking about not getting pregnant. And yes it is a rather consuming thought in our house. We just aren't ready for anything permanent, I'd like to leave our options open, but I'm also not interested in getting pregnant during the baby's first year.

Oh and I'm pretty sure last time I posted one of these polls, I was already pregnant just hadn't taken the test yet. :) I can tell you for a fact I am not.

12. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Many months of clomid
    2-3 IUI's
    1 IVF - Twins
    2 years of no birth control breastfeeding.
    still breastfeeding - twins again w/o help.

13. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

I conceived DD right at the end of one of my periods. I remember thinking we would be okay without the condom (we were out) because it had just ended. Turns out sperm can live for something like 5 days, so although I was not at my high fertile day when doing the deed, I was within the next 5 days. If you don't want another baby yet, tell DH it is a condom or it's not happening.

1 person likes this.
  14. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I had 3 sons - tubes tied in 1998. Ectopic pregnancy in 2002. left tube cleaned out and reversed in 2003. IVF in 2006, twins born in 2007. IVF again in 2009 - lost the baby at 6 weeks July 1 2009. got pregnant the old fashioned way RIGHT after my period (we are talking still having a very light discharge sorry for the TMI) in September 2009 - had started on a new medication before I had any idea I could be pregnant - had a reaction to it and lost the baby. I had gone for preop bloodwork for knee surgery when they told me that I was pregnant, We had only dtd that one day the entire month and I NEVER imagined getting pregnant without IVF BUT the old fashioned way AND on the first day after a heavy period - Just unbelievable! I don't think there are many rules that fit fertility to a tee - unless you have no uterus or ovaries, anything is possible!

I do know of a girl who claims she did not know she was pregnant but I think she was hiding it from her parents. Years later she is sticking to her story so ??? She was 17 and one day she was out shopping with her mom when she had awful pain and her mom took her to the hospital. The mom thought the girl had a kidney stone and ended up with a grandson. Looking back on it, everyone had noticed that she had been gaining weight and she had started to wear oversized hoodies and jackets instead of her normal tighter more hip teenage clothes. but she was also eating more and her mom just thought it was fat NOT Ethan!!

15. MusicalAli

MusicalAli Well-Known Member

Have you ever considered an NFP class? There are several formal methods that could help you out. I've used NFP for the past 6 years and have NEVER had a surprise pregnancy. I work with an instructor who can help explain any confusing times (sometimes breastfeeding can make things a little confusing). I love that it's hormone free, natural, and FREE.

It is possible to get pg during your period. You can't predict when your hormones are going to trigger ovulation. Every woman will ovulate early at some point in their life. Usually, it's as we age and our hormones are starting to go haywire. That's why it's important to look for your fertility signs during this light stage of your period. Using tampons during this time can absorb any fertile CM you may be having so it's even more important to take caution and treat them as fertile days.

I have 4 sisters, all of whom conceived while on artifical birth control. I'm the only one who has never had a surprise pregnancy.

16. niftywriter

niftywriter Well-Known Member

I got pregnant while breastfeeding (6 months pp--no period) and I also got pregnant with our twins during the infertile part of my cycle WITH using a condom.

Honestly, I think if you seriously would prefer not to get pregnant right now, you need to be using condoms and very very carefully, too. Good luck!

17. pamallhoney

I have never taken a NFP class. And I'm pretty sure in our small community it isn't offered, but I'll do some research online and see what might help. Thanks for mentioning it. Do you have any websites that you know of that addresses NFP?

18. pamallhoney

I definitely agree with you. "No condoms, no sex"....my new saying, lol!

19. MrsBQ02

MrsBQ02 Well-Known Member

I'm not Catholic, but I'm pretty sure the Catholic church often does NFP classes. Also, Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler (sp?) advocates the FAM method, which is very similar to NFP, but with condoms or other non-hormonal contraceptives. (the way I understand NFP- no contraception is used at all, but please don't hold me to that!)

I don't get pregnant easily, so I'm not much help personally, but I did use FAM (and clomid ;)) to GET pregnant. Good luck!