Have you had colds passed back and forth?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by rajeshris, Jan 8, 2010.

1. rajeshris

rajeshris Well-Known Member

Just wondering if any of you have had colds passed back and forth between your twins. One of our DS got a cold about 10 days ago. The other caught it a few days later. The first is over it and the second is starting to get over it. I have been trying to keep them away from each other as much as possible until the 2nd gets over it. But it's so hard---w/ crawling its hard to keep all toys separate. I just worry that the first will catch it again. I know you are not supposed to get the same cold twice, but I hear that they mutate so much that it could happen. They had another cold about 2 months ago, and it lasted a long time that some people said maybe they are passing it back and forth.

Just wondering if you have dealt with this. And if so, how do you possibly avoid it....

2. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

Since September, mine have had 3 colds, plus H1N1. They have both gotten sick each time. :-( I don't think there's any way to prevent it at this age.

3. rajeshris

rajeshris Well-Known Member

Thanks! Sorry your kids have been so sick! Mine have also--we've had one hospital stay and I feel so bad like it's my fault, but guess there is only so much you can do to protect them.

Also--I guess I should clarify---I mean passed back and forth AND BACK again---yeah, I don't think I can do anything about them getting it from each other, just wondering if they can get it again if one still has it and one has gotten over it.....

4. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

No, I'm pretty sure once you've had a strain of the cold virus you won't get the same one again, at least not right away. You get at least some temporary immunity. Otherwise, families would just keep passing them back & forth, back & forth, forever. Now, that doesn't mean they won't pick up a new one, especially babies with their immature immune systems. But just keep reminding yourself, every cold they get makes their immune system stronger & that's a good thing.

Oh, and I never even bother trying to keep my two apart when they are sick. I just assume if one gets it, they both will.

I hope they both feel better soon! :hug: