Having anxiety about TTTS.

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by OahuLove2, Sep 11, 2013.

1. OahuLove2

OahuLove2 Active Member

I am 22+3 with mono-di girls. So far everything has been really good -- they were 12 ounces and 13 ounces at our 20 week visit, and fluid looks normal. However I have an acquaintance who just lost one of her twins to TTTS and now I'm feeling a lot of anxiety about the syndrome. I get scanned every 2 weeks but I'm worried about what if it comes on suddenly between appointments. Are there normally any warning signs of TTTS? Does the fact that our twins have stayed close in weight mean anything?

I guess every mo-di/mo-mo twin mom worries about this. Thanks for any thoughts!

2. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

There are so many more things us moms expecting twins have to worry about and TTTS is certainly one of them. I am not an expert on this but I think that the fact that your twins have stayed very close in weight is a great sign-I know there are many factors that play in to this and I hope one of our members that has more experience with TTTS can weigh in here. I will just be one to say that it is also very common to have a completely normal complication free twin pregnancy as well. Try not to worry, you are doing all you can to ensure a healty pregnancy. :grouphug:

3. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We had TTTS here, but it wasn't diagnosed in utero, there was just evidence that it was happening after the boys were born. I was getting two week scans, and then they were increased to weekly during the last month of my pregnancy as a standard protocol. My boys stayed close in weight and then there was a difference in the last several weeks of my pregnancy. I think we were at about 15% difference and the threshold was 25%? (I can't remember exactly what the numbers were). I spontaneously went into labour 2 weeks before my scheduled C-section date, and I believe that it was due to the TTTS. Miles was born very red and about half a pound smaller than his brother. He quickly caught up, and there is no developmental problems at all.

So here's what can reassure you; the risks of TTTS are low, the risks that even if you have TTTS that there are adverse effects on the babies are low, the risks that adverse effects are serious and not just some minor delay are even lower. You are also getting good care that will show any problems and if you feel off, you can always call the doctor and get checked out. Trust your gut! Chances are overwhelmingly in your favour that everything will be just fine!

1 person likes this.
  4. jennycraig

jennycraig Active Member

We had mono/di twin girls about 6 months ago. We were also scanned every 2 weeks. Our maternal-fetal medicine doctor told us the greatest risk was until 26 weeks. He also said the risk of TTTS was only about 10%. Our girls were born at 35 weeks and were 1 lb different. They stayed the same until about 32 weeks when our little one didn't gain after that point. They were both perfectly healthy and were in the NICU for 2 weeks to learn to eat. Always trust your gut and if you have any concerns make sure to ask lots of questions with your doctor.

5. OahuLove2

OahuLove2 Active Member

Thanks everyone for responding. I appreciate the support.

As an update, a few days after I posted I had one of my biweekly appointments with a MFM and I also saw a prenatal cardiologist. They both said things look really good. The girls both measured 1 lb 4 ounces (that was 22w 4d) and they had good amounts of fluid. So there are no guarantees but I'm keeping more positive. Like Lesley Anne said, there are a lot of things mono-di moms might worry about. It's really helpful to hear from others. Thank you!

6. Krystine

Krystine Well-Known Member

I had di-di twins but I was always worried about discordant growth and intrauterine growth restriction but every ultrasound that they measured similiarly was still good news even if I could worry about it in the future. They ended up being pretty similar, My baby A measured ahead and my Baby B on time and they were 6 oz different at birth, not really a big deal at all. Now they're 8 weeks old and about 14 oz different, both healthy and fine. I hope all goes well. I think you're doing great.