Having multiples isn't easy but...

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by haleystar, Jan 2, 2011.

1. haleystar

haleystar Well-Known Member

Raising Twin Babies from WebMD

I came across this article while looking up some information for a friend and as a Momma to 17 month old ID boys I can say that from what I've experienced this article rings true. It might take some of the scare and panic out of what or how you're going to take care of more than one child at once!

1 person likes this.
  2. Henderson

Henderson Well-Known Member

I want to post that on fb and say see!!! To all my friends and family! Some of them are like it's going to be sooo hard saying things like I can barely handle my one baby, amber I don't know how you will be able to do it excuse me because you are already a drama queen! I am totally different and my husband will totally be a big help! Like the article says it's allllll about schedules!! Right! Just like a singleton!! And if one more person freaks out that we want to only use one crib! Well yeah!! It's silly to think we need 2 in the beginning! And if one more person tells me I need a maternity coat..... Sigh...... Hello I will be a huge preggo lady soon!! Lol a huge Hot Preggo lady! Consider the bottom buttons being unbuttoned some much needed AC!! ;)

3. twinnersmoms

twinnersmoms Member

Henderson-- I completely understand! Everyone has to say " how hard this will be" and "you will never sleep again". ... Ugh! I get it. It will be hard, and yes, we will be sleep deprived.. BUT!! This is gonna be the absolute BEST-- "no sleep-hard times" we have ever had.

And we are using one crib as well and going from there.. I have read so much on the benefits do we will do that until it creates a problem.. Waking each other up and such.

4. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The other day I spoke with a pregnant lady who in 40 degrees was wearing a sundress and flip flops. :laughing: I love it! Pregnant women are like furnaces!

It is hard but so worth it. Those people who nay-say you are probably insecure about THEIR abilities. ;)

5. TrishaLinn

TrishaLinn Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting the article! Good read. Though... I wish I could get some of that "furnace" action you guys are talking about. I'm freezing all of the time. To the point where I have extra blankets on my side of the bed.

6. Henderson

Henderson Well-Known Member

haha Trish yeah my DH tucks me in bed with 2 comforters comes to bed an hour later and I've kicked them off and have the fan on!! So I understand being cold too!! But yeah I believe the samething cheesewhiz 24 they must be insecure in their own abilities!! Lol!!

7. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

On the crib thing, my twins shared a crib till 14 months. Jessy had heart issues and had trouble with her temp. She was much happier with jazz

8. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:thanks: for posting the article Kristine! I have to say twins were harder to me than my singleton was, but it is definitely doable and somehow you do it and figure it all out. :)

9. haleystar

sorry for the double post.

10. haleystar

RE: The scheduling thing, I can't tell you how many people argued with me that I can't have a schedule and I can't do this and that and how you have to let the children determine the schedule when in reality (at least this was my case) if you set the schedule from the hospitals feeding schedule the twins will fall into place and adapt to it naturally. As they get older and feedings get spaced out more is really when you can start letting them decided but I've ALWAYS done everything together. If they aren't on the same routine I would go insane!

And my boys started with 2 cribs but shared one for the first 3 or so months.

Oh you are so welcome. I see a lot of threads in this forum about how you manage taking care of 2+ newborns at once and how frightened they are and while this article did stress that the first year is hard but it does get better. I'm not yet there yet but I will say that the major benefit of 2 is that instant playmate factor. My boys may fight with each other but they'll play together all day long and they laugh and hug each other. So in some aspects as time goes it gets a little easier :)

11. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

When people ask advice on raising twins, My #1 is stick to a schedule, it makes everyone happy. I was a schedule Nazi. I didn't care wehre we were, they stuck to it until past a year. Then it wasn't so bad. But it makes life so much easier. I also bf both for a year. It made life so much easier than having bottle and having to deal with warming and getting them in the night. I also tandem fed after the first few weeks. SO much better. It is doable, even if a little crazy at times.