Having pain-need lightweight side by side stroller

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by danabd, Jun 22, 2010.

1. danabd

danabd Well-Known Member

Hi guys. So I was just diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis at age 35! They think it is a result of the rapid hormone drop after the pregnancy. ugh. the babies were worth it though-i would be a cripple anyday to have them! Hopefully it doesnt get to that-exploring treatment options now. Anyway, I am in a lot of pain and really need to find a lightweight side by side as my tandem graco is too hard to push/turn and way too heavy to lift into the SUV when Im with the kids alone. These are the features I am looking for-or the ability to add on without a huge price: kid trays, light when folded, individual reclining seats, easy turn/push, easy fold/open, and good shade (FL is too bright for these babies). I tried the combi sport at babies r us but it seemed so hard to fold and a bit heavy to carry-it also seems flimsy (?). I could buy the twin triumph or techno (not sure of the difference) but is it lightweight? and the seats seems so small-can you add snack trays for kids? I cant find one to try out anywhere! There is a zooper tango on craigslist but that seems like it would be very heavy (?) but the price is good and its next to new. Also I found a 50-50 peg perego for sale. Does anyone know heaviness, ease of folding on this. Cant find any info on the 50-50 models, just the 40-60 models. Also I was considering a city micro-anyone have this? Any advice would be appreciated! Im so confused. By the way, who else sells strollers besides babies r us and burlington baby depot-I really want to try out some models and no one has double stollers in stock. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or info you have...or even if you think there is another model I should look at.
    Thanks!
    Dana

2. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

I don't have a ton of advice. If it is for short trips maybe a cheaper sbs like the Jeep model? It is pretty darn light - arguably the lightest...but also cheaper in feel though which might be more difficult to push. Peg Perego and Zooper Tangos great quality but pretty heavy. Just hard to escape with double strollers. The Combi really is the raved about stroller on here but folks also like the MacLarens. I am sorry I am not more helpful.

3. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Oh wow I'm so sorry for all your troubles. I think the absolute lightest will be the jeep wrangler, would that work if you are by yourself? But it is very flimsy, essential a double umbrella stroller, and I'm not sure if the seats recline, I know there's no kid trays, and I think the shades are pretty small.

I think the easiest one you are going to find, or I should say the easiest one I found and tried at babiesrus, was the combi. Any double stroller is going to be heavy though :( It doesn't have kid trays but walmart sells a simple blue soft kid tray to clip onto the stroller (works great for on carseats too, we have 2 of them), it does have individual recline seats that go pretty far back, and the shades are small but babiesrus sells a shade extension for single or double strollers that works great. I hope someone can comment on the other strollers you have listed, I think they are pretty heavy but I don't have one of my own to test for you :(

4. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

the combi is really easy to fold once you get the hang of it. i do not find it flimsy at all. and i think it is easier to fold and lift than many strollers cause you don't have to bend down to the ground. the jeep has handlebars that may be tough for you to grip if you have ra in your hands--the combi would not have that problem.

5. tundrababy

tundrababy Well-Known Member

I have both the jeep wrangler and peg perego aria twin (and a BOB and bike trailer combo and yes I have a problem :FIFblush: ) The jeeps sunshades are worthless and the seat recline maybe an inch but it is super lightweight, can fit through any door way, folds up very easy and cheap(paid $30 on craigslist) The Peg Perego is easy to fold, reclines almost flat, the sunshades are alright but I believe you can get a shade extender (we opted for the raincover since we live in Oregon) The steering is weird in it, definitely harder to push with more weight in it. I like that it has a 5pt harness and the snack tray is a big bonus. Its relatively easy to pick up with one hand. Good Luck!!