He is freaking out about their room

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by cjk2002, Apr 9, 2011.

1. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

Out of the blue, my one DS woke about 30 minutes after going to bed crying and coughing. I believe the coughing was due to his crying and he threw up but it was only mucus. He went back to bed and 2 hours later he woke again, screaming and coughing. This time he did vomit up his dinner and he was so worked up, he was burning up. We were able to calm him down and he went back to sleep an hour later.

He then woke about every 1/2 hour from 2:00 - 4:00 a.m. When I went in the last time, he said he did not want to sleep in their room because "Buzz and Woody scared him". Their room is a Toy Story theme and they've had it that way for over 3 months now. Finally he said he wanted to sleep with his brother and since he was fast asleep, I agreed. They both slept in the same bed until 8:10 this morning.

So all morning he kept telling me that Woody scared him and I thought maybe it was his bedding so I removed it and put on neutral bedding.

But he keeps asking me if he can sleep with his brother tonight. I told him I did not know because I don't know if his brother will want him in his bed at bedtime. This morning he was so out of it because he kept waking every time his brother cried so I think he really did not realize he was in bed with him.

We had an issue about a month ago with him telling us his room was dark so we have been leaving the hallway light on and that has seemed to help. But last night I turned on their closet light and that did nothing for him. We have the Mobi glowmates and he did not want his. I plan on picking up a night light and see if that will help.

But last night just threw me for a loop and I don't know what I will do if his brother does not want him in his bed.

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Uggh, we're going through the "I'm scared of __________" phase too. I think personally it's part true fear, and part "I don't want to go to sleep". (Has he told you that he's scared of you yet? If not, just yell a bit at him. He's the more sensitive of the two?)

My two share a room still so we don't have that issue, but maybe if his brother doesn't want him in the bed, you can put a sleeping bag on the floor next to his bed?

3. cjk2002

Actually, I had to take him to the ER yesterday because he developed a 103 fever. Turns out he has strep. :cry: He has not had a good nights sleep in 3 days. He's in his brother's bed right now and crying. Luckly, his brother is sound asleep and it's not bothering him....yet.

4. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

So sorry he is sick! I hope he gets well soon. Mine always say and do funny things at night when they are feverish.

5. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ahhhh, well hopefully after the sickness subsides (did you get antibiotics for the other one? He's bound to catch it too) he'll be back to sleeping in his own room.

6. cjk2002

He was so exhusted yesterday he fell asleep at 5:00 and I just let him be. I woke him a little after 6:00 to give him his antibiotics and then motrin and he woke at around 6:20. Their bedtime is 7:00 and the crying was because he was not tired. His brother was sound asleep so I let him get up and he hung out with us until 9:30. He then went to sleep in his own bed and it still there. :woohoo:

I have to call their school to find out what the procedure is. He was fine Friday at school and does not return until tomorrow. Once he got the huge dose of tylenol in the ER, his fever broke and it's been normal ever since. I also have to call his Dr. to see if he needs to come in. If he does, I'm going to insist on getting a prescription for his brother.

You would think by now I would know if they wake in the middle of the night, there is something wrong since they are both really good sleepers.