Headache after C-Section

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by raynebowkizzez, Sep 22, 2008.

I just had my twins on Sept 17th, I came home last night and I was so happy to be here but today I woke up with the worst headache ever. the pain is unbearable. I dont know what to do for it. I have been told that it could be a spinal headache, I have tried everything, meds and caffeine. the meds only work a bit and the caffeine made me feel so sick to my stomach. I called my ob but she acted like she could care less. I have cried so much today. I dont know what to do. Is this normal? Has anyone ever experianced this, and if so what was done for you? Im in so much pain. Pleas someone help!

1. megan smith

megan smith Well-Known Member

I didnt have it with my c-sections as I had a general but when I had my first I had an epidural and as soon as I got home from hospital I sat on the lounge and this pain shot through my body into my head my MIL who was looking ay me at the time said I went white as a gost I stood up straight away but I was still hurting I didnt sit on the lounge again for a week I found my bed which was alot firmer didnt cause me the same pain. They said it was lightning pain or something sorry this is 9 years ago next month Im a bit foggy on details but I still remember it so clearly thats why Id rather be asleep now in the c-section. Im sorry if I wasnt much of a help :hug: Hope you feel better soon.Congratulations on your bubs!

2. Amanda

Amanda Well-Known Member

I didn't but have you tried Tylenol or anything?
    I'd call again and demand a script called in.

I'm so sorry :grouphug:

3. Yeah im taking lortab and 600 mlg ibprophen.when i lay down the pain some what goes away. but when i sit or stand, my head is just throbbing. After i had the twins they warned me about the spinal headaches but i didnt get on in the hospital. , I hardly saw my ob while I was in there and this was my 7th pregnancy and I was high risk, I thought she would of been more involved. She didnt even deliver me. Her partner did, and didnt prepare me properly i think. When I called her today It was 9 am. at 1 pm I was crying from the pain and still no call back, so i called again, and her nurse tells me, well you can just take tylenol, and i asked why i was having the headaches, and she said, well i dont know.. I was like what the hell. No compassion or anything. So i called the hospital and talked to the nurses from the postpartum unit i was in and they told me again about the spinal headache. to talk to my doc about it because that sounds like what i was suffering from. so there I am calling my doc back again and i tell the hurse what they told me and she said i dont think so but ill ask the doc. she calls me back and says the ob dont know that for me to go to the er, that was not mer specialty. and since i was discharged already, Id just have to go to er. I dont know if its just me but im still crying because I feel like the person i put most trust in throughout all this could give a care less. i dont feel like a patient I feel like a source of income. There was so many other things too she did not inform me of. I think im crying too much but i dont know what else to do. as if the pain wasnt bad enough.

4. megan smith

megan smith Well-Known Member

Oh sweety you just came home and you are in pain there is no such thing as crying too much. Im so sorry you are feeling like this :hug: you should go back to the hospital if you think you need to.Its not fair she is treating you like this you are still her patient!

5. SuzanneTX

SuzanneTX Well-Known Member

I've heard sometimes they do a "patch" over the spinal or epidural site with a part of your blood, ad that usually fixes it fairly quickly. Sorry this happened...hope you feel better soon.

Suzanne

6. bekkiz

bekkiz Well-Known Member

Having suffered through one of these for three days before finally going to the ER--Go to the ER! It is not worth the pain. They will probably do a blood patch, where they take some blood from your wrist and inject it into your spine. It clots over the hole. For me, it was almost instant relief. I had a very slight headache for another 3 days or so, but it was a million times better.

Your other option would be to ask to speak to an anesthesiologist. They'll have good advice, and probably would be the ones to administer the blood patch.

7. melslp13

melslp13 Well-Known Member

YOU NEED A PATCH! Go back to the hospital and request one immediately. I had a spinal headache and it was the most unbearable pain. Until the patch is done, LIE FLAT ON YOUR BACK. That was the only thing that even marginally helped the pain. Do not suffer needlessly. You can't care for your babies until you feel better!

8. Queen of Carrots

Queen of Carrots Well-Known Member

Ditto on getting the spinal patch! I had that headache--didn't even realize it was a side effect of the C-section until I took DS in for a jaundice check and the nurses asked *me* what was wrong. The caffeine drip did nothing, but the spinal patch (just a couple-minute procedure) stopped it immediately. (Then my back was sore, but that was nothing in comparison.)

Hope you feel better soon!

9. Katherine R

Katherine R Active Member

Everyone else really sounds like they know what they are talking about, but I wanted to give you a different possibility. When I had ds, I had the worst headache once I was released from the hospital. My dad finally took my blood pressure and it was 180/120. I would check your bp just to be on the safe side...

10. jasonsmommy

jasonsmommy Well-Known Member

QUOTE(mel&2 @ Sep 23 2008, 07:09 AM) [snapback]992932[/snapback]
    YOU NEED A PATCH! Go back to the hospital and request one immediately. I had a spinal headache and it was the most unbearable pain. Until the patch is done, LIE FLAT ON YOUR BACK. That was the only thing that even marginally helped the pain. Do not suffer needlessly. You can't care for your babies until you feel better!

I agree. I had the spinal headache too. I had the patch done and althought it is not pleasent, it will make you better. Go Now. Let me know if you have any more questions too.

11. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I did not have one after my c-section. I hope you get some relief soon. :hug: Please update us when you can.

12. schetda1

schetda1 New Member

QUOTE(Vonnie G @ Sep 22 2008, 09:45 PM) [snapback]992646[/snapback]
    I just had my twins on Sept 17th, I came home last night and I was so happy to be here but today I woke up with the worst headache ever. the pain is unbearable. I dont know what to do for it. I have been told that it could be a spinal headache, I have tried everything, meds and caffeine. the meds only work a bit and the caffeine made me feel so sick to my stomach. I called my ob but she acted like she could care less. I have cried so much today. I dont know what to do. Is this normal? Has anyone ever experianced this, and if so what was done for you? Im in so much pain. Pleas someone help!

I had the exact same thing after the c-section of my twins. The anesthesologist gave me a blood patch. Basically spinal headaches are caused by spinal fluid leaking when they inserted the needle into the spine. It is an easy 15 minute procedure with instand relief. It was either that or waiting 5-7 days for the headaches to subside. They take blood from your arms and insert it into a needle in the spine and the blood "clots and patches" the leak. It was painless and instand relief. I would ask your doctor about it immediately.

13. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

Since it goes away when you lay down, it does sound like a spinal headache. I didn't get it with the twins but I did get one about a week after having Dax. They usually happen much closer to birth but there are the occasional unlucky people (like us :hug:) who get them later on. My only advice is to lay down as much as possible. Keep the babies nearby in their bouncers or carseats and do as much as you can without lifting your head. The headache should go away within a day or two, if not sooner. For me, it would have been more work to get myself to the hospital for a patch than to take care of the baby while laying down.

14. Just and update.. first of all thank you for all the responses.. and Well it was a spinal headache and I did what some of you did. Just waited it out. I didnt want to have to go through a whole other procedure for the blood patch. and after a few days I was given relief. I have to admitt, That pain was worse than anything I have ever been through. Good luck to anyone who has to deal with it. Again thank you guys!