Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Beth*J, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

I just got this book. I glanced at it yesterday and was having a hard time deciding if I should think of my girls as being 12.5 weeks old or as 3 weeks old (their adjusted age). What do you think?

2. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

This book frustrated the he!! out of me when my preemies were 8 weeks actual. Nothing really started applying to the boys until they hit the 3 month mark. I found it very confusing, but a lot of ts moms have had better luck.

3. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

Adjust their age, at least for now ... It's hard to tell anyway, some babies develop quicker than others, it's the same for sleep.

4. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I didn't read the book until the girls were about 3 months old, but if I remember correctly Weissbluth says to go by adjusted age since a lot of what he writes about is in terms of brain development and that doesn't necessarily happen quicker just because they were born early. GL and FWIW I found the book really helpful.

5. lbrooks

lbrooks Well-Known Member

You must use corrected age. The book states that too.

6. fuchsiagroan

fuchsiagroan Well-Known Member

You must use corrected age. The book states that too.

Definitely!

7. Jordari

Jordari Well-Known Member

ABSOLUTELY adjusted age! And the book is confusing and contradictory. I think the most important thing to remember is that they have to be old enough to develop some self-soothing skills, and while it's good as a guideline, I found it challenging not to interpret everything literally. While he talks about letting them cry as long as it takes at night, even for hours at a time, he ALSO says that 'some babies need to have night feedings up to nine months'. So - I would recommend taking it with a grain of salt (this is my PERSONAL opinion, others will say to literally go by the book.)