Hearing heartbeat?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by momof5, May 21, 2011.

1. momof5

momof5 Well-Known Member

I know belly fat can delay hearing an unborn baby's heartbeat. I am not obese but I am overweight. Any idea when we will be able to hear it? We saw it on trasvaginal ultrasound at 6w1d. At my next appointment I will be 9w2d. I just don't want to tell the kids and then have to deal with telling them we lost the baby. (They don't know yet).I am not having any problems but I am paranoid of miscarriage ever since I had one. Thanks so much!!!

2. twin_trip_mommy

twin_trip_mommy Well-Known Member

I do not remember when we heard the heartbeats but it was not this early.

I think it is wise of you to keep things quiet for now not necessarily because of a possible loss (Lord keep this baby safe and give her a full term pregnancy) but because you do not need the grief from your older ones about the pregnancy.

3. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

With this baby it was in my 9 th week. And at my last RE appointment. I remember it because I thought for sure they would do an ultrasound but the dr just listened with the doppler. That was the first of my no ultrasound appointment disappointments I was totally spoiled with ultrasounds when I was pregnant with the twins!

4. jenn-

jenn- Well-Known Member

You will still be at the iffy period. Do not be shocked or concerned if they cannot find one. They may or may not even try yet. I know my OB didn't get concerned until about 14 wks when they couldn't distinguish two distinct HB after twins had already been confirmed. They took a quick peek in and sure enough they were both hanging in there.

5. Cristina

Cristina Well-Known Member

I think with the twins I didn't hear one until 11 or 12 weeks. With Joy I was nervous because I had a miscarriage before her and was just 6 weeks post D&C when we got pregnant with her. I don't think we heard it till closer to 14 weeks.

6. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

With my last pg I rented a home doppler and heard the heartbeats at 8-9 weeks. I was totally not expecting to hear any. The drs office up here says that they try around that time but only hear half the time.

7. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

With my singleton I was 10 weeks and able to hear his HB. WIth the twins I was just under 10 weeks and able to hear their HBs

8. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

with this pregnancy, we didn't go for our first appointment till 12 weeks & that's the first time we heard the heartbeat. they found it pretty easily then. i started bawling when i heard it thumping away strong & steady. that's the first time i think i realized just how worried i'd been about losing this pregnancy (we had an early miscarriage last time). :hug:

9. Janclamat

Janclamat Well-Known Member

My Dr. didn't attempt it at my first appt at 9 weeks. But with my other singleton I heard it at 11 weeks.

10. hardinfamily08

hardinfamily08 Well-Known Member

I was just at the Dr for our Bean yesteday... After trying for about 5 min without luck, we switched to trans-vaginal ultrasound. And even then it took a few min to get a heart beat. I was 10 weeks yesterday.

11. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

Sometimes the babe can be positioned so they can't find it in the first tri. With the twins my first appt was at 10 weeks and they did US because I was measuring big so they suspected twins. By the next appt at 14 weeks they found them easily with Doppler. This time, I had early US through my RE so at 13 weeks they tried Doppler and couldn't find it, so they did US, still couldn't see so they did TV ultrasound to see the heartbeat. Babe was really low so my pelvic bone was still in the way.

12. pamallhoney

pamallhoney Well-Known Member

Sometimes it's the placement of the placenta. With my #2 child we couldn't hear until 17 weeks along because the placenta was anterior.

13. I heard my twins at 8 weeks. This is my first pregnancy and that was the most amazing thing that I have ever heard.