Heart palpitations?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by paperclippy, Feb 11, 2013.

1. paperclippy

paperclippy Well-Known Member

I'm taking to heart your suggestion to post all my questions here no matter how silly they might seem, so let me know if I'm asking too many questions. :D

Lately I've been having occasional heart palpitations. If I take my pulse when it's happening, it feels like my heart will skip a beat, then pick up with no problem. I don't have any other symptoms of anything when this happens, and it only lasts about 1-2 minutes before everything is normal again. The first time was about a week ago, where it happened a couple times, but then not for a week, so I kind of forgot about it. Then the past few days it's been happening more frequently, like 2-3 times per day, usually when I've been standing up or walking around and then I sit or lie down.

This Thursday I have appointments scheduled both with my endocrinologist (I'm hypothyroid) and my high-risk OB. I've had palpitations in the past when my thyroid medication was off when I wasn't pregnant. I'm wondering if this is something I need to go in sooner about to my regular OB, or if it's okay to just wait until Thursday and ask both doctors about it then.

2. rayceryin12

rayceryin12 Well-Known Member

I had some on and off. My OB office told me it was normal.

3. AKilburn

AKilburn Well-Known Member

You're pumping more blood with the twins and that can cause it. I had them off and on accompanied with lightheadedness ... I ended up also having to go on iron supplements, its totally normal to have to do.

If it becomes bothersome, call your OB.

4. Angelafae

Angelafae Member

5. Angelafae

Angelafae Member

How far along are you? I had the palpitations too starting right around week 15. My pulse would be normal and then it would feel like my heart skipped a beat and then it would speed up! It only lasted a few weeks, and has since gone away. But no one seemed to know what I was talking about! Everyone kept telling me it was anxiety. But honestly, I was not really feeling anxious.

Keep us updated! I would be interested in knowing what your doctor says.

Sorry I don't have much in the way of information, but it definitely is nice to know someone else is experiencing the same thing!

6. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I had the same problem, except I eventually was having a LOT of them. I was told it can be completely normal, but they checked my thyroid levels & they were extremely high (and I didn't have thyroid problems before pregnancy). Luckily, the endocrinologist felt comfortable with just monitoring it throughout the pregnancy & after to make sure the levels returned to normal & they did after delivery. You might mention it to your doctor (and definitely your endo) in case they need to keep an eye on it.

7. bayoubaloo

bayoubaloo Active Member

I definitely experienced that earlier in my pregnancy. Hasn't happened in the last couple of months. I think it was either totally normal or I needed more iron (taking two iron pills a day now) or maybe a little low on thyroid, as my endocrinologist upped my thyroid. If I had to guess, I'd say it was the iron. Thyroid doesn't make sense to me -- seems like palpitations would happen with too much not too little thyroid. Could also just happen commonly no matter what.

8. paperclippy

paperclippy Well-Known Member

Update now that I've had appointments -- for the person who asked, I'm 21 weeks. My endocrinologist said my thyroid is perfect and the palpitations are to be expected in a pregnancy and are nothing to worry about. I didn't get to see the doctor at my ultrasound to ask, but I will see my regular OB on Monday and double-check with her then. Ultrasound looked good, the tech said all of the measurements and pictures were just fine. My two girls are 11oz each now! It was funny that one of them has flipped head-up while the other is head-down. Now instead of punching each other in the face we get to see them kick each other in the face.