Heart rate determines sex

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by Two_more_cookies, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Two_more_cookies

Two_more_cookies Well-Known Member

I am sure you have heard the wives tale that the higher the heart rate I think 170 or so and above (could be lower) its a girl. The lower the heart rate, 150s and below its a boy.

This held true for my b/g twins. Now prego with our third and we are not finding out I am curious to see if this holds true.

Please tell me the following for my informal survey:

Heart Rate?
    Sex?

TIA,
    Lindia

2. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

It never really held true with mine. If the baby was awake the heart rate was high and if sleeping it was lower for the most part.
    On a different note, I have a good friend of mine who is from Lansing, MI. She just returned with her husband and three kids from their missionary work in Russia. Beautiful area. I visted her VERY briefly once.

3. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

True for all 3 of mine. Girl-180 Boys 130-140

4. pamallhoney

pamallhoney Well-Known Member

Two of my boys were in the 130's. The twins (also boys) were right around 150. The girls were all above 150 right around 158. So really only my twins were off according to the wives tale.

5. nadana77

nadana77 Well-Known Member

I believe it is a myth or at least with this pregnancy it is.
    I'm pregnant with a boy and his heart rate has been 160-165. At first the U/S tech kept saying with this heartrate it is a girl but, the picture told us otherwise!

6. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm going with myth.

My boys were always in the 150's. ALWAYS.

This last pregnancy we didn't find out what we were having. Again-150's.

Yup-it was a girl. Myth all the way! :)

7. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

All the sonographers I've ever spoken with say it's a myth. My first dd had a high hb...like 170s or better. But my twins were both around the same...mid 150s to 160s. Now, my ds was always just a little slower than my dd, but only by like 5bpm. This baby was in the 150s at my last check up, so I automatically thought 'hmmm...maybe it's a boy since my two singelton girls were normally higher than that???' I'll find out on the 18th!

8. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Always been true for me but only after 20 weeks or so. All my girls were 160's and boys were 130's. When we were told via cvs we were having 2 boys, I joked with the sonographer 5 weeks later when baby b's hr was so high, I said "it has to be a girl with that heart rate". She agreed but said it couldn't be bc the cvs test said boy. And sure enough baby b was a girl!

9. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

With my son he was always in the 180's and my OB swore up and down he was a she, until our U/S. Now I am execting twin boys, one is usually in the 180's and the other seems to be usually in the 160's. Again my OB swore up and down that baby A, the one in the 180's was a girl, and he is def all boy according to our U/S

10. Two_more_cookies

Two_more_cookies Well-Known Member

DH and I agreed to wait until the baby was born to find out. When I went to my first appointment by myself I forgot to tell the Dr not to say the HR out loud. Now that I know I just can't wait. I think it's a boy because the HR is around 150.

DH doesn't know anything at this point so I am considering finding out and just not telling him. I am pretty sure I can keep it a secret. That way I can start buying clothes for the baby and hide them some where so he will be completly oblivious.

Yep, I think that is what I will do. The only people that will know will be you all since I can't tell any friends or family either.

I will find out in two weeks, we'll see if the tale holds true for me...

Lindia

11. ljmcisaac

ljmcisaac Well-Known Member

I haven't found out the gender (yet, DH wants to know...I told him if he could tear himself away from work to come to the appts, he could ask!) but at my checkup this week, the heartrate was 147 so right in the middle of the range...I think it gets slower as they get bigger.

12. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

not true for my boys!! one of them gad such a high HR and for sure i thought he was a she!! not true!!

13. mom23sweetgirlies

mom23sweetgirlies Well-Known Member

I've always heard it is not true. My oldest DD was in the higher 150's, the twins were in the 140's and this one is in between. I don't believe there is any accurate method of finding out other than ultrasound, but I think these myths are fun.

14. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Also, true for me after 20 weeks.

My girls were always 160 and above and DS was always 140's. It was also true for 2 of my nieces.

15. hardinfamily08

hardinfamily08 Well-Known Member

With my son he was always around 150's
    My twin Id girls where AWAYS 160 and above normally higher 165's or so.
    This one is around 150 again. When I had my ultrasound the baby would open its legs, excpet a VERY BRIEF moment, when the tech got a VERY blurry image... she said girl... I dont believe it. Where getting another scan to be sure.

16. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

According to the research studies it's a myth. I think, though, that there can be a family trend...maybe not revolving around 170, but around whatever number is normal for you. My singleton girls were over 160 for sure. My twin ds was always less than 155, but usually over 150. My twin dd was always over 155, but sometimes under 160. This one was between 150 and 155 at all my checks, so I strongly suspected 'boy' and I was right!