Hello Everyone

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Carrie+5, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Carrie+5

Carrie+5 Member

Hello Everyone. I am the mom to a set of 5 week old fraternal twins Anson and Sara and to Damon 6 years old, Amelia 4 years old and Elaina 2 years old, I also have a 13 year old stepson, Taylor. My twins were born at 37 weeks by c-section due to Anson being breech. Anson weighed 6lbs 5 1/2 oz and 19 inches long, Sara weighed 5 lbs 9 oz and 18 inches long. They both lost 9% of their weight prior to leaving the hospital. We started supplementing with formula the 2nd day in the hospital and by the next day (the day they let us go home) they had each gained back 1 oz. We realized that Sara wasn't getting enough to eat because her mouth is so tiny that she can't get her mouth on my nipple well enough to suppress milk. I have been exclusively pumping for her since we got home and Anson has been nursing exclusively. They had their 1 month check up on Tuesday and Anson now weighs 7lbs 4 oz and 19.69 inches long, Sara weighs 7lbs 3 oz and 18.7 inches long. They had a great check up. We are all pretty much in a routine and most all of the kids are adjusted to having the twins at the house, my 2 year old is reverting somewhat in going potty, but she had just got settled in going potty a month before they came. My husband is still getting adjusted to having twins, especially since I make him get up in the middle of the night and feed Sara her bottle, when he could sleep all night when we had just one. As for their feeding schedule I have done it that when one eats I feed the other, even if the other one is sleeping I wake them up and make them eat. I feel like I have 3 babies though because I will usually breastfeed Anson first (he is the vocal one) and then feed Sara a bottle of milk (she's eating 4-5 oz) if I have it pumped or formula if not and then I will pump for Sara's next feeding. I think I counted that I get 30 minutes to my self every 2 hours and included in that 30 minutes I spend time with the other kids. I'm very thankful that they are now sleeping longer periods of time and not eating exactly 2 hours apart.

I am still on maternity leave and am trying to figure out when I am going back to work and how I am going to do it when I go back to work. I used to work night shift weekends at a prison (I'm a nurse), but I won't be able to pump as much as I need and am worried about my milk supply, so I'm in the process of trying to figure out another place to work and how I will do childcare if I work a dayshift job.

I don't know if I can post pictures here, but I'm going to try
    This was right after they were born

My family

The twins at 5 weeks (today)
    The twins at 5 weeks2

I greatly appreciate all suggestions and help.

2. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Hi & :welcome: to Twinstuff! I'm glad you are joining us & you have a beautiful family!

3. becky5

becky5 Guest

Hi Carrie! Congratulations and :welcome: to TS! You have a beautiful family!

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Welcome to TS Carrie! You have a gorgeous family :wub: If you haven't already, we have a breastfeeding forum that you can check out as well!

5. Momof2wonders

Momof2wonders Well-Known Member

Welcome and Congratulations on the birth of your gorgeous twins[​IMG] !!!
    You have a beautiful family[​IMG]

6. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

Welcome to TS! Wow! That's a full house! There is also a forum here for large families. I :wub: the family picture! The shirts the kids are wearing are adorable! They all look so proud to be brother and sisters to twins!

7. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:welcome: to Twinstuff! You have a beautiful family!

8. mollyjm

mollyjm Well-Known Member

Hi! Welcome to the TS family! This is a great place! Your gonna love it here. I have 5 kids also. Nice number, huh? lol. Sounds like your doing great. And what cute babies! Congrads! Did you see the BreastFeeding Forum? It sounded Like in your post you had a question, but I couldn't understand if it was on bf or not?

9. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

Hi Carrie! :welcome: to the First Year.

10. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

:wavey: Welcome to Twinstuff!!

11. oh-baby-baby

oh-baby-baby Well-Known Member

:welcome:

12. ptyflack1

ptyflack1 Well-Known Member

I'm a nurse as well, with four kids. The thing that might work if you want part time is the 7a-7p thing on Sat and Sun.
    The full time option might be the baylor shift 16 on Sat and 16 on Sun, assuming your husband is off on weekends, or 3 twelves like Fri Sat Sun

My hospital in Phoenix is full of weekend openings for nurses due to the nationwide shortage. It's probably the same in your town.

Good luck with the babies and job search.