Hello Everyone!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by BabyMoPlusThree, Feb 4, 2009.

1. BabyMoPlusThree

BabyMoPlusThree Well-Known Member

I am 19 weeks pregnant with my second child (my DD will be 2 in April). I went for my "big" u/s yesteday with my DH.

The tech asked if we had any other appts today. We said that we just had the 9:00 u/s. The tech asked if we were sure that we did not have two appts.

Eventually, she asked if anyone had talked to us about twins because there were two babies on the screen. Apparently, I am pregnant with my second and third children! I have been to routine OB care this whole pg, but this was my first u/s for this pregnancy.

Needless to say, we had no idea. We are shocked and overwhelmed, but also filled with joy at our surprise blessing.

Some of my friends on other boards steered me towards this forum, so here I am! I have a lot to learn and I am happy to be here!

2. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

Welcome! I found out at 19 weeks also! The rest of your pregnancy will fly by! There is so much to do and learn! Try not to read too much on the internet about twins as it will freak you out. Feel free to ask any questions here and we'll give you calming advice. :) It is a wonderful journey and you're going to love it!

3. JLF518

JLF518 Well-Known Member

Congrats on the twins! I found out at 11 wks that I was pregnant w/two and boy was it a shock! I wouldn't trade my two for anything.

4. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Congratulations and Welcome to TS! You will find a great source of information and support here!

5. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

:welcome: to Twinstuff! Congrats on your twins! :Clap:

6. becky5

becky5 Guest

Congratulations and welcome to TS! I found out at my 21 week u/s that we were having twins!

7. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

:wavey: and Welcome to Twinstuff!!! Congratulations on your twins! :Clap: :Clap: We look forward to getting to know you.

8. Jenn G

Jenn G Well-Known Member

Congratulations on finding out there are 2! This is a great site for advice and support- definitely do not google any of your questions- ask them here for good, honest, supportive responses!! congrats again! Did you find out the babies sexes at your u/s or will it be a surprise?

9. Momof2wonders

Momof2wonders Well-Known Member

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    All the very best for a very happy and healthy pregnancy :yahoo:
    We found out at 11 weeks and learnt last week we are having id boys!

10. WaterGuzzler

WaterGuzzler Well-Known Member

Congratulations! What a surprise so late in the game! We found out at about 9 wks due to high hcg levels and extra exams because of that. The shock did finally wear off and now we are very excited! Congrats again and welcome to the board :)

11. Jenn79

Jenn79 Well-Known Member

Welcome to TS! I can imagine the shock at 19wk, we were shocked enough when we found out at 9wk.

Wishing you a healthy, happy twin pregnancy.
    Jenn

12. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

Congrats and welcome! I found out at my 19 week U/S that I was having twins too, isn't it a huge shock? You'll find lots of great advice and support here. If you haven't already, try to increase your protein intake since twins require more than a singleton. Protein shakes are a great way to do this. And enjoy... the rest of the time will fly.

13. nicinthebu

nicinthebu Well-Known Member

Congrats on your 2nd and 3rd babies!!!!!!!!!! Whoo hoo. Welcome to TS.

14. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Congrats on the dual blessing!! :wub:

15. june07girl

june07girl Well-Known Member

Welcome! I found out at 19w as well that I was having twins.

16. pamallhoney

pamallhoney Well-Known Member

I found out at my 19 week u/s too! Although it wasn't my scheduled u/s...I was having appendix or gallbladder problems. Otherwise I wouldn't have found out until 21 weeks. For me it was good not finding out until then, because I bypassed worrying about them in the early weeks. CONGRATS!!! Did you also find out the sexes?

Best site ever for twins!!!

17. bseithel

bseithel Member

Congrats on your double surprise!!! It brought a smile to my face, b/c i remember the day i found out! Don't worry the shock will wear off!!! Welcome to a wonderful blessed group! :D

18. haleystar

haleystar Well-Known Member

yes welcome to TS! wow, 19 weeks huh? that's pretty far into the game. did you feel like you were big for your pregnancy? did you even have any hint that it might be twins? i know some of us joked early on that because we got so big so fast that it must be twins.

i found out at 8 week 5 days via u/s to determine age and wouldn't you know...two babies for the price of one!
    and i agree, definetly try not to look for to much info on the net, what comes back is rather scary and can make you start to worry needlessly.

good luck, and hey you're already half way to delivery. :)

19. BabyMoPlusThree

BabyMoPlusThree Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for the warm welcome- it means a lot!!

We did find out the gender- the tech was 98% positive that Baby B is a girl and 90% that Baby A is a girl. How would they be able to tell if the babies were identical or fraternal? It does look like there is one placenta.

I do go for a scheduled OB visit tomorrow, so we will have a lot to discuss! I will come back and update..

Thank you so much for the tip about the extra protein. I would love to hear more about these protein shakes. Yum, yum!

How does having two babies affect my calorie intake? How much more do I need than I did when I had a singleton?

Thank you again for the kind thoughts and warm welcome!!

20. haleystar

haleystar Well-Known Member

QUOTE(BabyMo @ Feb 4 2009, 12:07 PM) [snapback]1175942[/snapback]
    How does having two babies affect my calorie intake? How much more do I need than I did when I had a singleton?

i believe it's 300 extra calories for a singleton and 600 extra calories for twins. hope that helps.

21. mkhvjh

mkhvjh Well-Known Member

QUOTE(BabyMo @ Feb 4 2009, 12:07 PM) [snapback]1175942[/snapback]

We did find out the gender- the tech was 98% positive that Baby B is a girl and 90% that Baby A is a girl. How would they be able to tell if the babies were identical or fraternal? It does look like there is one placenta.

I do go for a scheduled OB visit tomorrow, so we will have a lot to discuss! I will come back and update..

Thank you so much for the tip about the extra protein. I would love to hear more about these protein shakes. Yum, yum!

Hi there! I'm at 22 weeks (23 on Thursday) with a boy & girl! Congratulations on your news!!! There's a great book out there "When you're expecting twins, triplets, and quads' by Barbara Lutz It give some great tips on everything for multiples!!

22. faerieprncs

faerieprncs Well-Known Member

Congrats! We found out at 12 weeks, but it was a shocker then too! Enjoy the pregnancy, try not to freak out, and be thankful that you got to skip the (extra) worry we all go through in a twin pregnancy for a little bit! I've known for a month, and it feels like YEARS! :)

23. Angelsamb

Angelsamb Well-Known Member

I do have to admit, finding out at 19 weeks is a blessing because you don't have to worry about all the scary stuff. I found out at 9 weeks so I did go through the scary thoughts. Congratulations and enjoy. It is such a blessing. Welcome to the club!

24. pamallhoney

pamallhoney Well-Known Member

QUOTE(BabyMo @ Feb 4 2009, 01:07 PM) [snapback]1175942[/snapback]

When I found out at 19 weeks, it looked like it was just one placenta. So they treated me like a mono/di (one placenta/two sacs) in which they will monitor you more often for things like TTTS. Although, I didn't live near a city so I just had an OB and not a Peri. What we did find out after the boys were born and the placenta was sent into pathology, that there were actually two placentas fused so di/di (two placentas/two sacs). Most di/di are fraternal twins, (I don't remember the stats off hand), but a small percentage are actually Identical. We eventually had our boys DNA tested and they are indeed ID. The only way that they will probably be able to tell yours are frats or identical is after the birth. The placenta will be tested like mine. They may draw blood to see the babies blood types. If they are different blood types they are fraternal. If they are the same they could either be frat or id. You may also be able to tell if the girls have different hair color, obvious facial feature differences or eventually eye color. Our boys looked alot alike so it was worth it for us to DNA test to know for sure. If it is indeed one placenta there can be some markers they will look for lambda sign or T sign. The u/s tech couldn't tell with mine. It might be too hard to tell on yours as well. If one placenta then they are definitely identical.
    http://www.babycenter.ca/pregnancy/antenat...cityscanexpert/

I hope this helps a bit. Congrats again. I'm not sure how much extra protein I took, I think I tried to hit 100grams of protein a day.

25. Twinnylou

Twinnylou Well-Known Member

Hi and :welcome: to twinstuff! x

26. Brizzy_Twins

Brizzy_Twins Well-Known Member

congrats and welcome to TS!! :) xx

27. kymbahlee

kymbahlee Well-Known Member

With your diet you need extra iron, extra calcium (a pregnancy multi-vitamin should cover you)and some extra protein. Apart from this, you don't really have to try to eat more, just good quality nutrition wise. Listen to your body. Oh, and I always made sure I took a pregnancy multi-vitamin that had omega-3's. There is so much research about it helping with brain and eye development that it is worth the few extra dollars.